computer shopping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GregoryLeo, Apr 23, 2017.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I'm (trying) to save up for a new computer. And my head is spinning from all the options. Most of them far below the performance I'm looking for. I'm not planning to buy until the end of the year.
    First off, I want to buy the computer not build it. I do not have time or desire to search for parts and discounts or price drops and figure out compatibility stuff.
    I am on a budget. In a perfect world I could find something for around $600 to $700. And at the same time I want to be able to run my racing games for several years after my purchase. So with sector 3 and simbin moving to UE4 that sets a higher bar still.
    I only need the computer with the operating system installed. I already have all the peripherals.
    Anyway I was hoping to get some recommendations from some of you for ready to use computers and what ever else you think might helpful.
    just as a base line I found this on amazon. looks like it could do if I had the cash right now. even tho I'd prefer to not get a refurbished system. But its in my general price range (under $1000)
    2017 DELL XPS 8900 Intel Core i7-6700 up to 4GHz Quad-Core Gaming Desktop, 16GB DDR4, 2TB HHD,GeForce GTX745, WIN10 Pro (Certified Refurbished) $830
    or this
    New Gaming PC AMD FX-8350 Black Edition 8-Core 4.00GHz 16GB Ram 2TB HD MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB
    $500

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I bought my computer on a french website (materiel.net), I chose the components and they built it. Price is ok, build quality is perfect and you choose everything. Maybe you can find same service in your country.
    I wouldn't buy a Dell or similar, not sure price is so good and some components are cheap (starting with computer cases).

3. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Don´t buy an Amd FX... That modul tech sucks in games... Go for Ryzen or Intel...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Quicksilver

Quicksilver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Where is the point in choosing components or a full system now, if you want to buy at the end of the year? Thats 8 months away. Wait until you want/can buy and make a decision then.

Besides that, i would highly recommend to get someone build you a system instead of buying something like you presented in you post. I would not buy either of the two, both are pretty unbalanced (cpu/gpu) and i would not even consider a AMD FX for gaming, especially if you plan on using this rig for a couple of years.

Don't you have at least one friend that know's how to build a pc from components? Maybe there are shops that offer this option, as Chat suggested? Here it is around 100€ extra, but i would prefer that.

regards
    Quicksilver

5. Patrick.B

Patrick.B Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    go to Intel i7 4790.. will be enough for the next years

6. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    4790 cost 306€ atm and the new 7700 340€... For me it makes no sense to save 40€ and buy an old Cpu ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  7. Patrick.B

Patrick.B Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    oh i have to check the Prices haha

8. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I have just created a new computer for my brother with Ryzen R5 1600 and RX 580. Price including Win 10 Home is ~980€