Problem Connection lost between Race 1 finish and Race 2 warmup online

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Stiggy, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Stiggy

Stiggy Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Recently I've been having a few issues with losing connection between races 1 and 2 whilst racing with a 20+ car grid online. The game tends to hang for a while (about 30 seconds) on the results screen for race 1 before loading the warmup session for race 2, where everything seems as normal for a few seconds before getting kicked back to the multiplayer lobby with the connection lost error.

I have a feeling this could possibly be related to the maximum ping limit on the dedicated server - as the game loads between races the ping might be deemed over the limit for too long.

I've attached the Game and MWTransport logs from the most recent session this issue occurred in.

Attached Files:

2. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Stiggy Report submitted. Thanks for the logs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
  4. Stiggy

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Having seen a number of other players in a server tonight have the same issue loading between sessions, I think I may have worked out a possible reason for the disconnection between sessions.

What I think is happening is that after Race 1, the game hangs for a while when the replay is being saved to the HDD. Whilst the replay is being saved and the game is hanging, the server isn't receiving updates from the client. If the game hangs for long enough once the server has switched sessions, the ping limit detection is triggered as the client is determined to be over the set ping threshold for a long enough time. As I'd experienced before, the game loads into the session fine for a few seconds and then boots you back to the menu, which was what originally led me to believe it was related to the ping limit.

What I've done personally to avoid this issue is to turn off the option to save replays to disk, and I've advised anyone running in the same league who has been affected by the issue to do the same. Since running without replays the game hasn't hung between sessions and the issue hasn't occurred again on my end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sosruko

Sosruko Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am saving the replay files to SSD and have not had this problem. I ran a league with this kind of setup for 20min+40min reverse grid sprint races including warmup in between quite a few times within a year.

6. Stiggy

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    This seems to back up my theory on why these issues are occurring - my replays are saved to a regular HDD as I don't have enough free space on my boot drive SSD. As it's taking a lot longer to write the replay to the disk on the HDD, the game hangs on the post-race screen for an extended period of time - especially when there's a large grid or it's a long race and the replay files are 300mb+.

It could also have something to do with the fact I've got the game installed on a different HDD to the My Documents location where the userdata and replays are saved.

7. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    I recently had a similar problem
    And I hadn't put races one after the other in the server, but one below the other.
    So that you can also switch circuits, for example
    So things went wrong after the first event.
    The only thing I can think of is the fact that I was not present in the server but only the host.
    I have experienced this before, when i was also absent.
    Could it be that the server is failing because the host does not press "continue" at the end of a session per line?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    added this to the bug tracker

Andi

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    It seems to be taking more than 30 seconds to write a replay file.

Then once it's done your game changes session to warmup to match the dedicated server state, but by the time you arrive, the dedicated server has already decided to let you go as it didn't hear from you for 30 seconds.

As a temporary fix, disable "Save Replays to disk" in the game options, and we'll look into keeping a heartbeat communication while replays are being saved.

Code:
    Write D:\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience Install 7\ReplayData\2018-10-28 Mazda Laguna Seca Grand Prix_1.Vcr; Start: 46.75, End: 2604.70, Length: 2557.95 (2018-10-28 11:16:59.539)     

Successfully created replay file: D:\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience Install 7\ReplayData\2018-10-28 Mazda Laguna Seca Grand Prix_1.Vcr (2018-10-28 11:17:34.314)     

NetCommImpl.cpp(2731) : Info : Changing session to match servers; server=WARMUP local=RACE (2018-10-28 11:17:34.315) 
    steward.cpp(5790) : Info : [Steward::SetPhase] session(WARMUP) phase(START) (2018-10-28 11:17:34.318) 

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1