Considering giving iRacing another go

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DoctorFrazierCrane, May 26, 2016.

1. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if I'm wise or otherwise, but I am being tempted...

2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    mate, if you have the disposable income iracing is a great game for multiplayer. (provided u can stand the awful tire screech and toxic oval community.)

3. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm it was the community that I had issues with before but I was not in a club and it was all pick up races.

I think this time I may join some sort of club if I can find one that runs races in GMT in the evenings.

4. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Last three months I've been doing only leage races of a champ I'm in. I've tried to do some official races in this period and everytime I get wrecked, doesn't matter how conservative and clean I am.
    I don't like it too much anyway so...

5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Maybe not completely on topic, but I have been watching iRacing races on TV lately, several of them.
    Before that, reading about iRacing lead me to think it was the one and only real sim.
    What I saw, completely changed my perception about it.
    What I saw in the iRacing coverage (not once, but several times):

- four cars next to each other (two of them with the outside wheels on the grass) going into a 90° corner, and leaving the corner still next to each other !?
    - cars hitting each other and flying OVER the trees !?
    - massive collisions and all of them continuing the race !?
    - cars just flying through the gravel without losing speed and/or position !?

And I can continue for a while...
    So this is supposed to be the nec plus ultra of sim racing...LOL
    Furthermore there is the fact that you don't "own" anything, you just get to use the cars and tracks and when you stop your subscription it's all gone (got this from a few friends).

I also had the chance to try iRacing on a few different full motion rigs and I was not in the least impressed by the "über sim".

6. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend to try it yourself for some time and judge after. It works better than just watching broadcasts or listening to your friends.

In some aspects, iRacing is really advanced, in others it is still lacking or not so great, so without experiencing it yourself it is hard to tell what clicks with you and what not so much.

7. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    This is possibly the cold bucket of water I need.

8. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    When you stop your subscription its all gone? Are you sure about that? I was wondering if it's worth trying it again but I'm not buying stuff again :(

9. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    When you stop the subscription (your actual subscription expires), you can't access the content, of course. But as soon as you renew it, all your previously purchased content is available to you again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  10. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Yes i Renew my membership, i wanna try it again.

Maybe we can met us and rent a Server to drive together?

11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    iracing is nice but not my sim of choice. I tried it for 2 months or so but came to the conclusion that it's not worth the money you spend on it, not even a bit.
    For me R3E does most things better. Of course there are some things that are cool to have (like crossing the line at the pit exit too early results in a penalty, is this a thing in R3E? I'm not sure) or getting towed.
    But in the end it does not offer enough for me, because I'm not interested in oval racing. And yeah as I mentioned before... it's too expensive for what they deliver.

12. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Yes oc, it’s to expensive. The Website is rly slow..

One of the good thing from.ir is his Rating System and penalty system.

I dont know if the physics are better or the dynamic track are more real because i have never driven one of the GT3 beasts in reallife.

13. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    yes, rating system is nice but tbh I don't miss it in R3E because most of the players already know how to act on the track, unlike many iracing-members even with rating system that punishes them. I think the dynamic tracks are an advantage. Maybe sth similar will come to r3e in the future. I thought the feature of building up rubber on the track in rf2 was cool until I noticed that it only builds up on the racing line no matter where you drive on the track :D I made a training session and constantly drove off the racing line but rubber was built up there instead of where I drove. Had a good laugh. Project Cars 2 will have "livetrack 3.0".. and that's the real beast! This for R3E would give me wet dreams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tarik Userli

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Never heard from this. I Google it

15. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Seriously? Do you have a video? Not that I'm doubting but that's just so bad I want to see with my own peepers :)

16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    you won't find much because it's under development. I'm a backer of PC2 but it's allowed to mention livetrack 3.0 but not its features yet.. but you can guess where the journey will go.

yes!.. no, unfortunately not. I could start the game up and make one.... ok i see i have to install the game again :-D

Now I'm not 100% sure about it, maybe it could've been automobilista? or iracing?.. no.. I will check now !!

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. DoctorFrazierCrane

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I know that AMS's rubber build up whilst looking IMHO better that rFactor2's.....seems to be more scripted.

18. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Dynamic track in iRacing is quite well done, however the current temperature sensitiveness of tires is over the top. Currently it influences grip and lap times too much. Overall physics is ok, but to my disappointment, GT3 cars I have driven for some time (MP4, R8) are weird. Compared to all other sims, they are generally just too unstable (eventhough MP4 understeers like the car wasn't made for driving corners) . I don't believe GT3 cars behave like that in real life.

I'm looking forward new patch coming in two weeks in hope tire sensitiveness and handling for some cars improves.

Skip Barber, FR 2.0, Kia on the other hand are great rides.

Until then it is AMS/R3E/AC. Not a bad company.

19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    "Livetrack 3.0 (dynamic racing track with grip & temperature changes, full rain simulation with puddling, water flow and track saturation, marbles & debris)"? http://www.slightlymadstudios.com/tech.html

20. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    Well, if the cars in pCars 2 will feel like pCars then its useless for me. Hopefully not! I haven't subscribed to iracing in many months now, lots of cars/tracks which I cannot use unfortunately, but I just do not like how the cars feel there either.... Hopefully they will be at par with R3E one day, then I'll think about it again :)

• Agree Agree x 1