Considering giving iRacing another go

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DoctorFrazierCrane, May 26, 2016.

1. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I fairly sure i saw video, when rubber was building up where a guy was driving. It was oval track so it were easy to do. Maybe some modded tracks have this aspect messed up.

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    ha didn't know they have it on their website already.

from what i've seen so far it's very cool. Only seen some developer-videos so far but it will be fully implemented in one of the alpha builds soon (if not already happened, it's some time ago I last played a build). You even put dirt on the track when you leave the track and come back from the gravel trap or grass. And this dirt will be picked up by other cars and spread more to the track etc and that's fully dynamic even in multiplayer (I don't know where the trade-offs come to get it to the consoles since it's a huge load of real-time calculations)... soo this is one feature I'm very excited about..

well at the moment they feel the same. Sure they update the physics, discovered new techniques and methods, but at the moment they just feel like pcars 1 cars. There are some new cars already in it and they feel familiar. I doubt they will change the whole physics engine. But let's hope they improve it to a good amount. They're working excessively on the tyre model and there's a lot of testing going on.

3. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i dont see what the problem with rubber building up on the raceline only. sure its not as realistic but if 9/10 times you should be on the line and this sytem is better than none. if r3e gets "scripted" rubber build up (as apposed to dynamic) i will be perfectly happy.

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    of course, maybe it's something that @rad was saying. I encountered this phenomen at Sebring (Virtua LM) which is a mod. I tried to recreate what i saw but even with 15x track progression and 15 laps (what would equal 225 laps) driving off the line I could not come to a satisfying result. There was light rubber already there at the start of the training session, and I did not really saw it becoming darker, but neither did I saw my own racing line building up beside the normal line. Maybe it's like a predefined mask, it will change but only when you drive on it. Driving beside won't change anything visually.
    I don't really care, it just was something I noticed some time ago.

Had another try at Lime Rock Park. No build-up on my line too.

Maybe 1 car is not enough, but you could think that 15 laps with x15 progression would be enough even with 1 car on the track.

5. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    That's bad news to me. I was a Senior member with pCars 1 there and supported it for many months until I released that my input on how the car feels was useless. I never ever play the game really as I cannot get a feeling of what the cars is doing on the road. Pity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I actually quite like the way pcars drives. Obviously some cars are better than others, but cars like the BMW M1 are actually a lot of fun to drive. It takes a long time (like 20 laps giving it some welly) to adjust to the different handling compared to Raceroom, but once you make the adjustment it's surprisingly rewarding.

It's not as good as Raceroom, is quite different, and I rarely just play it. But I actually like it and when I get stuck into testing my Android app I'm always surprised by how enjoyable it is

7. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    My guess is that you simply have your FFB setup wrong.
    I can feel the cars (most of them) very well.
    With a bad (wrong) setup, you can't.
    Now, I have never driven a GT3 car on track irl, but was lucky enough to "feel" a few as a passenger around Spa. Opposite to what a lot of people seem to think, these cars feel a lot like the ones in game. GT3 cars on warm slicks have a massive amount of grip (until pushed too hard, then they lose grip very fast and are difficult to catch).

8. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    I have tried so many setups and FFB configurations (including Jack Spade's etc)...but I could never get just one feeling, and thats when the car is sliding, like in corners, loosing car from the back and no feeling under hard braking. Could be my old wheel, dont know...but all these feelings I get them in raceroom...

I have the same issue in iRacing, but I also discovered that is an issue when driving with an old non belt driven wheel, which is fair enough.

9. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if it would be the wheel. Previous to my Fanatec setup, I had a T500RS. It did not feel as good regarding FFB as what I have now, but I must admit that my FFB settings are totally different now.
    I can really feel everything the car is supposed to throw at me. The wheel even needs a firm hand under hard braking and if I block the wheels, the steering wheel stutters. It does that in R3E too, the feeling in AC differs a bit. Whereas I had three total different FFB in the three sims, it is really getting very close right now, though some forces are still different, whatever changes I tried.

10. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I would like to really get into pCars again, but i have the same experience...the cars just seem to float on thin air. I have no sensation that I am in anything that could be said to resemble 'a car'.

What's more distracting is that it seems to me that the cars all are built around one single pivot point, and not 4 separate physically modelled tyres.

I'm using a G27 and if you can recommend any tweaks that would be easy to make that would give me some sensation of road contact I'd be grateful.

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DoctorFrazierCrane

DoctorFrazierCrane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Well I've decided to take the plunge and downloading as I type....went for the non-Steam version as that seems to be the one that people are suggesting is best.

Going to stay away from ovals though...

Couple of practice laps and then it's time to cut the grass :(