Problem Controller profiles renaming themselves on startup

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Case, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    A few days ago, when starting R3E, instead of the game starting as usual, I got a Steam dialog telling me the game needs to be installed. And indeed, Steam seemed unable to see the game as installed - even though it was still there in the same folder as always. No idea why that happened, I didn't change anything in the game or in my setup as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, I decided to just delete the game installation and redownload the whole game, just to be sure. This worked just fine and the game is working correctly again. Obviously, as I didn't touch my user profile, all of my game settings are still as I left them...except for controller profiles. I had a couple of different profiles saved. The files are still there and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them at all, they're perfectly readable with correct content as far as I can tell...except if I start the game, they get renamed from .rcs to .rcs.old_0to3 and they're not listed in the controller profile screen. If I close the game and manually rename them back to .rcs, they get renamed back to .rcs.old_0to3 as soon as the game is launched again.

I've created a new profile for my controls and that one seems to work perfectly fine. However, I'd still like to get my old profiles working. Comparing the new file with the old ones I can't see anything obvious. I've even tried changing the name of one of the old profile files completely (including the profile name in the file itself), thinking maybe the game has a list of the old profiles saved somewhere and just removes them if it detects them, but again, as soon as the game is launched, it gets renamed from .rcs to .rcs.old_0to3.

Anybody has idea what's going on here and why?

2. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    In the .rcs files there's a line called File Version="3". Make sure they're set to 3.

3. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's there, forgot to mention that. Apart from the different settings for the button bindings and FFB values, the new file appears to be identical to the old one. Unless I'm missing something in plain sight.

To be perfectly honest, at this point, I'm ready to just recreate the profiles from scratch, but it's still bugging me that I don't understand what's going on there.

4. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a bug then. 3 is the latest version so the game shouldn't do that shit. :/

5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Well, copying the old stuff to the new file seemed to have worked at least for my main profile (didn't do more of them yet), so it was a bit less painful than expected at least. Still don't get why the game doesn't seem to like the old files, though.

Thanks for the responses anyway, appreciated.