Controller Profiles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KW Studios, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Johannes

Johannes Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The FFB has been much better since some of the last updates for me. T500 user. Will read all 7 pages and see what I might still need to try to get it perfect.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Most of all, patience. More updates inbound. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. APC900

APC900 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I really need to start from the very beginning in both game and controller settings with RRE2
    I'm on the default settings and using a T500RS wheel and Clubsport V1 pedals.
    The steering wheel feels really strange around it's center point.
    I'm in a constant fight to hold the car centered.
    Moving the steering away from centered to either the left or right feels almost like it's being assisted.
    My T500 is set to overall forces 40, constant and periodic gain 100, spring and dampener 0, let game set auto center.

4. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Check if reverted ffb is set to off and turn down vertical load.

5. APC900

APC900 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks man!
    The vertical load setting did the trick.
    I'd never have guessed that one in a 'million' years.
    I just drove and enjoyed the game for the very first time ever since it's release.
    It actually feels great with the reduced vertical loading.
    They're way too many steering settings out of the box.
    It just overly complicates things.
    I can understand the effects of things like caster, camber, toe, bumpstops etc...

6. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely agree with you.

And this is a good example that all these FFB options are more confusing than helpful for beginners. And it's not very obvious in menu, what many of the FFB parameters do.

I for myself don't even know the difference between "Force Feedback Intensity" and "Steering Force Intensity".:oops:
    Yes i got the point with the "personal preference", but are all these settings really necessary? Do i have to mess around with FFB parameters in rF2, GSCE, AC, iRacing? Not really (or not that much).
    Physics should define the FFB output, not my personal preference how i think e.g. "understeer" should feel.
    At least this is my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have to disagree here. I am a beginner myself and did never set up FFB for any game before but it was quite easy and very intuitive in the end from the point I knew the meaning of these settings. It is a quite simple system behind it and the essentials are the two parameters 'vertcial load' and 'lateral force'. For beginners I suggest, turning vertical load to almost nothing and setup the lateral force to a useful value by testing and after that increase vertical load until it gives adiddional information without being to strong or clipping. I think the balance between these values are the core of R3E's FFB and this is not that complicated.

From a point of realism, this seems to be true. But, R3E is a game in the end and should result in the player's fun. So, If someone like me does not like certain feels, he can create a proper setup just for himself an have fun with the game instead of playing another game where this is possible. Then, there are so many different input controllers and they all provide totally different experiences what requires options to get the most out of all these different controllers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Agree! How does it feel to drive a RUF CT3 or a Saleen SR7 in real life?

The devs set the physics of the cars by research and a lot of test driving. They have the knowledge and i think they doing it well. But when it comes down to FFB settings we think we know better.

We have our own "preferences"
    If a user set the inverted force feedback wrong and set the steering force intensity to 20%, the vertical load to 400% will the RUF CT3 drive like the real counterpart?

I really don't think so. So why is it even possible to set this settings.
    How would it be if we, by our own preferences could set our own car physics?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The game does not force anyone to use custom setups. So, if you like, you can play this way. I don't see the problem there.

For me and my currently unsupported wheel the possibilities the game provides are useful and necessary. Otherwise I could not even play the game. And, I think, if the game would not give me these options, even with a supported wheel, it would have ruined my fun and I had already stopped playing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    there are hundreds of wheels on the market no way they could support all of them. i got into r3e with a df ex. if they did not have these options i would not have got into r3e at all.

maybe the default t500rs settings need a tweak. removing settings helps nothing because in the end if they didn't have these settings apc900 would not be able to reduce vertical forces and fix his problem. meaning he would not enjoy r3e.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say that, right? My question was why it is possible to alter settings that make the cars undrivable.

I think most people on this forum see R3E as a sim that simulates the real thing, not a "game".

12. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    because the cars might be undrivable with the default setting on some of the hundreds of unsupported wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    You don't change the physics of a car by using different FFB. That's why they call it Force feedback and not Physics Feedback.
    Whatever wheel settings I use, the Ruf still drives shit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    These settings make cars undrivable using a certain controller. Other controllers maybe need these tweaks because they work and feel differently.

Regarding the 'sim or game' debate, I am on the gamer side. I want to enjoy the game and even considered as a sim, it is not the real thing. I maybe can be close to it and that is great. But, one of the great things about R3E is its flexibility. Players can set it up to be a casual arcade game or as a close to real simulation or somewhat in between. In the end we all have in common that we want to enjoy it. And that is achieved in different ways for the most of us.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Ok!

16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    No and i didn't say that.

17. APC900

APC900 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    There is no excuse for any developer of a modern simulated car in ANY game, to have the issue I experienced out-of-the-box.
    It was almost impossible to drive straight down the road at default setting.
    I had what appeared to be a massive dead-zone (steering input to steering response wise) and yet, the steering wheel would pivot away from center as if somebody was yanking it away from center. It was a chore just trying to keep the steering wheel centered.
    It was simply not fun to drive as I could not concentrate on anything else.
    I've got less hours in RRE2 than any other sim because of the issue.
    I'd 'fire' the game up and almost immediately close it.
    After Peter's recommendation, I was finally able to take the formula car out to Spa and do quite a few really enjoyable laps...all with one correction. Seems crazy....doesn't it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I can't talk about that default profile, but the one for the DFGT I hade before was too strong for me and I had a similar effect, as if the car was driving me. The default profiles seem to use rather strong forces and this is not for everyone. Therefore I love the possibilities the game offers.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  19. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Sure. Agree.
    But am i the only one who thinks that a single "FFB strength" slider should be enough to adjust too strong or too weak FFB forces? Sorry to say that again, but that's how other sims doing that, and i don't have the feeling i miss something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I have the T500 and the default settings are great, with the reverted ffb setting off. Are you sure it's default?