Core i5-4460 + R3E = ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Adam Jonas, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Hey there,

Is there anyone who is using a Core i5-4460 CPU with R3E? What's your experience about that? Probably I'm going to buy this CPU soon. :)

2. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Nothing special, it will handle without any issue at all ;)
    You don't need a Core-i7 Extrem overkill performance for any racing game today.

(PS: I use a Core-i5 4570 and it goes almost never above 60% of use when playing R3E and before it I even played it with a Q6600 @3.3Ghz, for 1080p 60Hz it did well)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Stefan Mizzi

Stefan Mizzi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +625 / 0 / -0
    I have Core-i5 2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHZ S1155 a bit overclocked and don't find any issues with it either...

• Like Like x 1
  4. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I5 4570 here and all fine

5. nasportscar

nasportscar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I have an i3 in my alienware alpha and an extremely happy w/ performance

6. maxx2504

maxx2504 Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Look at my Systemspecs. The only thing i noticed is that i have small stutters when i driver with 50+ Ai's. But i dont know if thats an i5 or game problem. I have normally around 120 FPS...sometimes over 200 FPS. Depend on the ingame camera. Graphic settings are maxed except AA (off).
    If you have the money look for a Xeon processor. Its the same like i7 but without the intern graphicchip. They are awesome for game PC's :)

Anyway...i can play all of my games with my PC: R3E, Project Cars, TheDivision, GTA5 and so on. price/perfaormance ratio is very good on the i5. i7 is not need for gaming...except when u wanna stream or do much video editing (hyperthread).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The i5 4460 will handle the game fairly good but, as R3E is very CPU demanding, you will hit it's limit when playing on high settings with many cars. In this case an unlocked i5 would be the better choice because you can easily overclock it and improve performance. Finally, with very large grids, you can bring every modern CPU to it's limit in R3E. As for my PC, overclocked I always get 60+ fps on any track with 24 cars and even the replays are almost at 60 fps. Using the default clock of 3,4 GHz, I get drops below 60fps in the same situation what makes the game unplayable for me. So, if you want to buy a CPU regarding R3E performance, got for the fastest you can get (Okay, an i5 is enogh as the i7's Hyperthreading does not increase performance that much).

8. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    You're my man, thanks for the answer! ;) I have the same GPU, so that means everything will be fine.

9. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    I don't want to start another off-topic, but I still don't think I have to buy an i7 and/or unlocked i5 for a 10-year-old engine. It's something like if the public road is bad, you should buy a jeep...hell no!

Anyways, I have 2 options for a new CPU:
    - the mentioned i5-4460
    - and the i5-4590

Although the i5-4590 has a slightly higher default clock with its 3.3 GHz, and a bit higher turbo clock with 3.7 GHz, I asked some hardware (CPU) guru about it is worth almost a +25-30 € for the i5-4590, and all of them said no. They said if the i5-4460 isn't enough, the i5-4590 won't be enough either. With the saved 25-30 €, I can buy some memory into my machine. ;)

10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yepp, the I5-4590 (Boxed) costs 25€ more than the I5 4460 and to be honest - I don't now if that is worth the money. But R3E is quite CPU-Heavy compared to other games and it puts most of it's load to one Core. So the Clock-Speed is quite important for the overall-Performance.
    I would say - normally you wouldn't notice any difference between both. But in big Grids you would reach the limits faster with the I5 4460.
    If I were you, I would go for the 4590 as you would gain more advantage with it in R3E than with more Memory. In addition - Memory could be upgraded easily in the coming month...

11. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That's right.

When opening the thread you asked for thoughts regarding the 4460 cpu and I told you what I think. Nothing more, nothing less.

12. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    I bought the CPU 3 weeks ago, I had the chance to try it out under the game...WOW

With higher settings, I have 2x more FPS!

Seriously AMD, WTF are you doing? Shame on you! :)

13. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0

In AMDs defence... if you can call it that, their current line up is based on architecture from something like 2012 with only minor updates and it was never a world beater when it was released.
    Saying that, I now run an i5 6500, while it showed an improvement over the Phenom II I used to use, since upgrading to a GTX 1070 GPU, even the i5 is a bottleneck, saying that, 90+ fps (average) with a 50+ car grid on max settings isn't bad at all.
    Other, newer games do run significantly better though.

• Agree Agree x 1