Problem CPU bottleneck but only in VR

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Jynn, Sep 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Just got a Rift-S and trying to get acceptable performance in VR and failing miserably. fps is locked at 40, even on low settings, single car in time trial mode. Using fpsVR, I see the gpu is barely awake with 1-2ms frametime, but the cpu is getting annihilated at about 25ms frametime. However the cpu usage is really low, like 10-15%. Using a monitor the cpu does not hold performance back at all and usage is much higher.

I've seen the threads recommending the opensource vr instead of steamvr, I did try but it didn't work for me. However it seems unlikely that steamvr can be THIS bad that I can't get 80hz in any scenario with a good cpu. Any ideas of what I can try?

System:
    Vega64
    Ryzen 3600
    16GB 3200Mhz RAM

2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
  3. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. As I mentioned when I have everything set to lowest, the game looks like minecraft and the gpu is barely being used (about 800mhz, 20% usage in amd monitor) but I'm still only getting locked 40fps. The cpu is also barely being used, about 10% usage using hwinfo. I'll try with hyperthreading disabled when I get home and if that does nothing, try get that opencomposite to work. It just seems rather odd when all my other racing sims (which also use steamvr) work just fine.

4. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    But it has to be said, this issue got a bit worse recently with Ryzens, RR definitely ran better earlier. I obviously changed numerous things from BIOS through chipset and other drivers to Win10, so it's hard to tell what exactly causes it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I'd suspect the GPU is the actual issue here though, more specifically AMD drivers, they haven't been great recently, especially in terms of backwards compatibility.

6. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    At this point I'm fresh out of ideas. For reference, when running on monitor, full AI, get average 110fps. GPU is boosting properly to 1400Mhz, CPU usage also high
    Here is what I've tried in VR without success:
    • low settings, force asw off with debugtool, sits at 40fps,gpu 650Mhz, 75% usage, cpu at 19%
    • tried opencomposite and made no difference even at low settings
    • Even reinstalled windows and oculus (for a different reason), no difference
    • putting video settings to high, lowers the fps into the 30's, but gpu clocks do not budge
    So at this point I'm unsure whether the issue is the cpu holding it back or the fact that the gpu is not boosting when there is a demand. :confused::(

7. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I have the same cpu (runs at 4250 mhz) and similar ram (32 gb 3200mhz) but with a 2070 super. Opencomposite is the key! did you really use the x64 folder and changed the settings coming with the ini? You need to select vr 64 bit when starting Raceroom, without opencomposite I am struggling as you do.

I use Oculus CV1. SS is at 1.3. AA is mid or high. I think I used pretty much the settings from the starting post in the thread above. AWS is off and I can run pretty much every track with 20 cars in single player with here a there a stutter in the first lap. Without AI (multiplayer and practice) smooth with no drops at all.

My bet is you are not using opencomposite.

8. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yep 100%. Steam vr did not load so it was definitely working. Loaded in with lowest settings and this time wasn't able to actually see the FPS, because no fpsvr, but could definitely see that performance was terrible.
    Something strange that perhaps is related, is that I just get a black screen on the monitor, no mirror. Am I supposed to see something in launch options to get the mirror working?

9. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    update:
    Tried opencomposite again (def no steamvr loading) with afterburner on the mirror to see usage levels. Forced ASW off as you can see in the bottom screen where it reaches 53fps.

High settings:
    opencomp high.PNG

Low settings:
    opencomp low settings.PNG
    As you can see, both the gpu and cpu are barely being used. For reference my GPU boosts to about 1500Mhz when I'm playing BF5. This is really starting to frustrate me!

10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    CPU usage is misleading as RaceRoom uses only one core.

11. CompHel

CompHel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have similar specs to yours (Ryzen 2600 and 5700XT), try to use the drivers 20.5.1 that enable hardware scheduling, my frames went from ~45 to 90 thanks to that.
    I can't post links since my account is new...but use DDU to remove your current drivers, then install the 20.5.1 hws drivers (not the normal one, you specifically need the HWS one) and finally enable hardware scheduling in windows.

The game runs amazingly well now for me

12. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for late reply, have only just seen this. WIll give it a go and report back, thanks for the advice.

13. Jynn

Jynn Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    No luck for me as that driver does not support Vega. Tried to install and it failed. :(

14. CompHel

CompHel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ack, sorry to hear that, I've ordered a 5600x and hopefully that will solve the issue, should get here in a month, I'll update this thread with my results once I get my hands on it

15. CompHel

CompHel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update!
    The 5600x arrived today, definitely better, with the latest drivers (so no HW scheduling) and settings between medium and high I can finally get 90fps, proof that the game was clearly cpu bound.
    So, on one hand I'm pretty happy about the performance boost, on the other it's a bit sad that to get a decent framerate I had to buy literally one of the cpu with the best IPC on the market...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  16. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I run Ryzen 5 1600 AF and 5700XT and the performance isn't too terrible on low settings, so you should be fine with 3600.

One thing you could try is disabling motion smoothing and turning on legacy reprojection mode in SteamVR settings for R3E (don't use opencomposite for this test, obviously).

17. Gardriel

Gardriel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Have the same problem.
    OpenComposite does only work with Occulus right?
    I use a HP Reverb G2.

About my PC:
    1080ti
    i7 6700K @ 4.5 Ghz
    16Gb DDR4 @ 3200 Mhz

18. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Wrote this earlier today on the R3E Twitch channel .
    RaceRoom is more CPU hungry and less GPU

Reverb G2 is demanding (understatement ;)). Seems my i7-7700k is the bottleneck? I used the VR and in game settings of Maarten (thx!!). In fpsVR steamSS 75%. CPU frametime about 20ms --> full 42 AI grid at Watkins Glen. My GPU (RTX3090) has no issues (duh...). Average FPS only around 50. TBH expected an easy 70-80FPS and easy higher SS of 100% possible. At 100% it is a stutterfest. Any suggestions to further improve my overall VR experience? BTW great R3E dec update! Have to test more with e.g. less AI

19. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I guess there is nothing we can do about the poor performance in VR accept waiting until RaceRoom gets an graphics engine update, soon... In a couple of years