Crowdfunding for R3E content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Berno, Jun 5, 2015.

?

Would you pledge money for S3 to pursue a license and build a car in R3E?

1. Yes

64.4%
  2. No

35.6%
  1. Berno

Berno Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I have recently been wondering how R3E can lift its profile. It puzzles me that my favourite sim doesn’t get much attention while something as rough around the edges as pCARS has set new levels of hype and appears to be selling very well. I have been involved in crowdfunding a number of games, some have worked out well (Elite Dangerous) some not so well (pCARS). So I had the idea that crowdfunding could be used to get some killer content that would normally be out of reach financially and help put R3E in the public eye?

I searched and have seen that I’m not the first to have this idea:
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...with-aston-martin-in-r3e.850/page-3#post-9277

However I think it was dismissed rather quickly.
    Yes there are people that already complain R3E is expensive. There are also people like myself who don’t think it’s expensive. Seriously I picked up Mid-Ohio yesterday for 2 bucks…
    There is also a whole different group of people out there on the internet spending thousands of dollars on pretend space ships that are only renderings at the minute! Yes I’ve backed Star Citizen too, what is it up to 70 million by now?? Crazy but it shows the power of crowdfunding!
    And there are lots of people in-between who would pledge varying amounts.

Now for killer content?
    In R3E I appreciate the handling, controls, visuals but obviously we are all blown away by the sounds. What is the best sounding car with mass appeal that if reproduced to R3E standard could lift its profile to a new level?
    I personally think you couldn’t go past a V12 Ferrari F1:

Basically anything from Ferrari at R3E standards would be mind blowing. The idea of a Ferrari pack and the way it would sound gets me a little excited!

So I have no idea how details would work. What rewards do you give people? VRP? Discounts? Content? 100 extra HP in your gold plated F355? ;)
    One thing I will say is that Kickstarter is no good. Having a set time period just gives a chance for failure. Most of Star Citizens money has been made after the Kickstarter.

What do you think? Am I dreaming? Is this impossible no matter what money is raised? I think Sector3 should be open to the pledging idea it has proven its power.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    For an A9X, you bet

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I would absolutely for super GT or V8sc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    I'm Spartacus...

I would definitely get involved in pledging to get this sim where it should be... At the top.

Whether it be to fund further development of the game itself, the multi-player or content. The problem is, there's not much of a crowd tbh and funds, I fear, would be too low for any content license or any fezza license for that matter.

I would love to be proved wrong though, I really would.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    LOL, my number one favorite sound ever :D
    I will never forget this car running in Monaco, the feeling and the noise was above any word to describe it .
    I'm still looking forward to see it again.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  7. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I voted no simply because I have already dropped around 2x the RRP of a full game on R3E therefore I already feel more than well invested in this product. In my opinion content is expensive so I'm not inclined to drop more money in the form of crowdfunding.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Just out a curiosity..
    Someone have an idea how much it would cost to license eg The '95 Ferrari / Aston Martin GT3 / Lamborghini :D?

9. tiagosousagarcia

tiagosousagarcia Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I'd be more than willing to help the amazing team at S3 through crowdfunding, but personally, I'm not sure doing it with the objective of buying an expensive license is the best way. Don't get me wrong, I really really want to drive a Ferrari with R3E sounds and FFB, but is that the best use of the money? We been very lucky recently with tons of great content, both cars and tracks, at a reasonable rate, but that's partly because it's S3's main business model. In other words, they need money to develop new features, but the only way they can get more money is by developing new content, which means that features arrive at a slower rate. Personally, if I were to give money, I'd rather see it invested into developing the features that we are still lacking (flags, weather, and many many more) rather than blowing it all out in a Ferrari. But you know, this is just me, if there is crowd funding for R3E, count me in, whether for new cars or anything else.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I'd support this depending on the car (Ferraris, Aston Martins,etc) or the Series (US Indycar, Australian V8 Cars, Japanese Super GT), or tracks. If S3S were to do this I have faith we'd have a clearly laid out plan with what tracks, series, and cars they planned to use the funds to get beforehand. As I said in the Ferrari thread, I'd gladly put my money where my mouth is to get Ferrari GT's in the game

11. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Even if i would love to see brands like Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Ferrari or Porsche in R3E, but i'm unsure if i would pay additional money for it. If the car would cost 1-2€ more than other cars .... i would buy it nonetheless, if i really want to drive this car.

Otherwise .... i for myself have no ambition to spend additional money via crowdfunding, only to get these manufacturers down from their high horses and to crawl up their a$$es to get these licences. And not at all for EA. No way.

I know, it's wishful thinking, but the car manufacturers should come to Sector3 on their own initiative, and just by seeing that their car brands are in good hands here.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Would be amazing to have a "Super GT-track pack" since they are all so cool and some for most of us i think rather unknown and probably not to expensive, Sugo, Autopolis, Okayama,.. And off course Motegi and alike.. :hearteyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Ernie great post. I wish the car manufacturers would come to Sector 3 as well, but they wait for Game companies to come to them with buckets of cash. The crowdfunding idea is good, but I think another offshoot of that idea would be for S3S to say if we approach Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Porsche to get the licenses for their GT cars, would you be willing to pay X amount of dollars per car so we can obtain that license. Perhaps do a preorder of sorts with a refund if the license deal falls through. If there's one thing I've discovered in 40 years of making deals, a second party is more likely to make a deal with you when you have cash in hand instead of the promise of cash.

• Like Like x 1
  14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I voted No for two reasons : Why throw my money out of the window (and therefore S3 too) to stuff it in the throats of global players like Ferrari or Porsche just to get a license for their "holy cars" ? Pfff....S3 did a great job to circumnavigate those issues (Fabcar).
    Think about it : Its just a brand connected with an avatar you can see than on that car (and wheel)- is it really so important to have it ?Following a commercial imprint ? Not a single penny from my side. And as long as the cars are so brilliantly behaving like they do I give a shit what "Brand" is sticking to them...or what licence attached.
    Second reason is that for example to support non-mainstream artists or non-mainstream projects crowdfunding is a great idea to make a difference, but within a pool of greedy sharks (we the often mindless mainstream-customers) specially when it is about topics like above : I can well imagine how any "private investor" would like to get control of his "investment" when things are not going his way - I mean just remember the dialogue at RD between Ian Bell and one dissatisfied customer (and I'm pretty sure that won't be the last one) ....S3, guys, my recommendation: Stay the hell away from it :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Would I invest into crowd-funding a license?

Simple answer: No.

And I think the game is already expensive enough. Price-wise, R3E is an extremely unpleasant choice. Allmost every competitor on the market is much cheaper. Even when you compare sales prices (sale offers on both sides of the equation), other sims/games are more attractive with their pricing. Heck most competitors with their regular prices still are cheaper than R3E with sales offers.

The enormous costs of R3E is probably one of the two most important reasons why the sim does not become as popular as others. People see the business model and the pricing, and turn away. The othger reason is people recalling the tough start the sim had years ago, and refusing to re-check status of things now, in our present.

Having put this criticism into words, I nevertheless must reiterate that R3E to me is currently the most rewarding racing experience and best driving quality on the market beside AC. Cannot tell anymore which one of the two I like better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    I think they, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche.... should pay S3 instead :p
    It is the best marketing these cars can get :)

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Ideally no money should change hands when licensing cars. Both manufacturer and game developer get value from brand exposure.

• Agree Agree x 11
  18. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Would I want to? I'd like to say no; as others have said, I don't agree with the pricing model of R3E and I would not agree with it in principle. However, would I? Yes, certainly, for content I found interesting (especially Aston/Ferrari/Lamborghini/Viper/McLaren GT3 cars and specific historics).

19. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    This is a fantastic discussion and both sides of the fence are making excellent points.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Feel I have spent solid money already.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1