Curing high speed turn understeer 190E

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fufsgfen, Jan 9, 2019.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I'm quite happy with my setup, only thing I would like to change is that at high speed turns there is too much understeer under power.

I kinda feel like would like to have bit more front downforce or bit less of rear downforce, however that is not possible to adjust.

So rake of car body, lowering front end or lifting rear end? It is bit bumpy at Nordy so lowering front might be bit of problem, not sure.

It gets especially bad when car gets light on bumps, or if road drops at turn, have to load front quite a bit to make a turn in such cases and I would rather be on throttle in such fast turns.

Quite horrible slow lap, but I'm still trying to learn the track and I have bad habit of hitting inside curb while not using enough track at entry, some turns and brake points I have not really mastered yet, losing a lot of time, but you can see how it understeers at high speed turns:

Setup (I use same setup for GP track and Nordschleife):
    upload_2019-1-9_23-55-54.png

Have to say that Raceroom has turned to really nice game after updates, long time ago I tested and totally disliked, but these new updates have brought Raceroom to be my favorite hotlapping game (I don't really race online anymore these days, glancing to sides disorients me quite badly etc.).

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You could try stiffening the rear springs to naturally keep a bit more weight on the front and lower the diff power setting but the you will probably have other compromises. Important to remember these are older fairly basic touring cars and not downforce based cars. There are limitations to what a car can and can't do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, that would make lower speed corners bit of trouble as car already is bit at the limit what I want to be nervous on those, that is what I would like to try to avoid.

Here is interesting clip for purely research purposes:

If you observe 30:50 and especially 1:02:53, then compare that to Raceroom version of the car, you can notice how in Raceroom front end gets much more air time than rear end, which is not way aerodynamic balance was with these cars.

So while these are not high downforce cars, there is something off with aero balance, or how simulation handles such situation, which is fine, all race sims so far have been more or less off and we are still having ton of fun.

Also I of course need to deal with limits of the car in game, but there might be something that adds to understeer, something that causes front end to become lighter than it should, which then makes high speed turns bit more challenging in setup wise.

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    These cars are getting a full physics overhall very soon anyway so probably best to just wait and see what happens. They may end up better (or worse) I'm some situations.

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    If physics overhaul is anything like what was done to free hillclimb car, then I think we all will love new challenges to tame these machines! :)

Until then I think we just need to deal with current challenges. I need to improve my driving a lot to get more than 10 seconds off the time though, no setup can help with that, I'm quite sure of it :p

• Like Like x 1