Damage on

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oppolo, Apr 7, 2015.

1. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    hello
    I was in a server with damage on, I had gear box chopped after few laps, so, the car was mercedes DTM2013, it has automatic cutoff and blip, when I change gear I have not to press the clutch neither lift the throttle, why others people could finished the race? where is the secret?

2. Drei

Drei Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    probably way to fast downshifting...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    no it wasn't that, now I've tried a race against AI, I was very carefully with gear, but not, after 6 or 7 minutes gear box was kapputt....maybe had they automatic gear? or automatic clutch? in all my simulators I use always all in manual

4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    damage model is filler atm don't use it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if this is DTM 2013 issue. I raced 2 full length races last weekend, one in WTCC at Brands Hatch another DTM 2014 with Merc at Hockenheim. Damage was on, Get Real + auto clutch. And no way I am precise with downshifting.

I started to use auto-clutch because those modern cars have sequential gearboxes. Before that, gearbox would die after 15-20 laps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    This.
    Do you use your clutch? If not you will have to use auto clutch to not damage your transmission - no matter if the car in real life could do without clutch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    ok thanks, now I tried a race with auto-clutch and damage on, gear box was ok...now I know why other people finished the race, they had auto clutch.
    I Hope a fix is in the sector3's to-do-list

8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Auto clutch on modern cars is fine, because those cars are that way in real life (manual clutch is only used to start). But with older cars using auto-clutch is unrealistic. I drive DTM 1992 cars with manual clutch (both upshifts and downshifts) and gear box dies after like 20 laps. So damage model is currently either too sensitive or there's some technique that game expects to be used (heel toe)?

Would be nice to get Sector 3 comments here. How exactly damage is modeled? I am all for mechanical damage, but it would be nice to know what is it we're doing that kills gearboxes?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  9. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    it will die with heel and toe also as thats what I do and I'm not perfect at it but it rarely lasts more than 5 laps. - I think its still a work in progress.

10. pissfirwilly

pissfirwilly New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it's still a problem. I recently started R3E again after a long absence. I managed to lunch the tranny in a GT Masters 2013 Camaro after 15 minutes. I am using auto-clutch and have damage enabled. My wheel is a G27. I don't recall these problems the last time I played the game which was several months ago.

11. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    with auto clutch? i dont have that car so i cant test but the only way to do that in the gt2 beemer is to smash down the gears.

12. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    This shouldn't be anything for them to fix, in a modern DTM car they use "auto clutch" to handle the shifting with flappy paddles. If you got into one of those cars for real and somehow managed to deactivate the clutch, your engine would go kaput just like in R3E. Any manual transmission is going to have a clutch, if it's an h-gate you use it with your foot, if it's a flappy paddle the car handles it automatically for you (hence, auto-clutch, and sometimes flappy paddles actually use two clutches, hence dual-clutch transmission)

13. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    When I use paddle shift, I still use auto clutch off. I used to not use the clutch, but my trans would be shot in about 2 or 3 laps. It felt weird manually clutching this way with paddle shift. But its more effective. The current auto clutch is too slow. Especially if I need to shift while in along set of turns. The clutch delay is enough to mess you up at times.

I am adapted now, but for the most part I use the H-Shifter. I am faster with paddle shift, but H-Shift is so much more fun.

14. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    the game should recognize what car I'm using
    - pad or seguential stick autoblip and autocutoff. the game shouldn't broke the gear
    - seguential stick and no autoblip and autocutoff. the game shoudn't broke the gear if I release the throttle
    - H gear, the game should broke the gear if I dont' use properly the clutch

I have G25 so I can simulate H, sequential and pad shifter, It's no a good idea to use all time autoclutch because it has a weird behaviour at the start, I dont like at all

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    If you were the only one playing this sim, I'm sure they could set it up exactly how you want it. But they have to accommodate a wide range of equipment and preferences; some people have clutch pedals, some don't, some people have h-shifters, some don't, some people only have flappy paddles with a brake and throttle pedal, some people like to use a clutch pedal with their flappy paddles, some like to use the auto clutch with their flappy paddles, some people like to use their clutch pedal with their sequential stick (like Aussie SuperV8's do). The way they've set it up, all of those people can enjoy the sim equally, in any fashion they want to enjoy it.

16. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    this is a shrewd way to justify a lack in the physic engine not recognizing the gear of the car I'm driving, but I know the large amount of customers are happy as it is

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    I suppose this would be a good time to remind that this sim is still in Beta and the damage model is still a work in progress. ;)

18. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    now the statement is better :D

19. Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    My original one is still valid though, if they want to sell as many copies possible to as many people possible then it needs to be flexible enough to accommodate a wide range of desires and equipment. ;)

20. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I think what oppolo is trying to say is the Auto Clutch needs work. As is it now it has some odd behavior under specific conditions? The clutch in general needs some tweaks, and some effects added.

Project Cars 2 is doing a good job at simulation proper gear engagement. Right down to the proper rpm to road speed no clutch action. LFS has clutch wear and engagement simulation pretty close also. I am assuming some of you have Project Cars 2, or LFS.

This video explains what I am trying to say better.

Over all I still feel this is the Best Sim ATM. But proper gear and clutch action simulation would add more immersion. I see they care, because the are trying to simulate the elasticity from all the bushings and stuff.