Daytona Oval Online Race Concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom Weaver, May 18, 2020.

1. Tom Weaver

Tom Weaver Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Given the unsupported nature of the Oval layout, is it safe to run an organised online race at this destination?

Noticed there may be some issues with entering and exiting the pits due to the lack of wall.

Any pre-advice before we get into heavy testing would be much appreciated.

Catch you out on track!
    RWB cHackz0x12

2. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Create a Discord channel and set basic rules. Lock the server. I'm in :D
    Greetings

• Like Like x 1
  3. Olaf Hülse

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Some basic rules might be:
    Drivers need to have a working CrewChief Application and Oval Spotter enabled. The Spotter is allowed to interrupt calls.
    There should be a lower class pace car that leads the field into a specific amount of formation laps or can be send out by the race control for Cautions and Competition Cautions. This pace car is located at the end of pit road. The driver of the pace car has to be able to drive out whenever called by the race control.

When pitting, keep low in NASCAR 3 and 4. When the banking ends, go below the yellow line and slow down after you crossed it. Activate the limiter when you reach the cones.
    When exiting the pits, stay off the banking in NASCAR T1 and T2 and rejoin on the backstraight safely before the Bus Stop. Cars racing have priority before cars exiting the pits. Rejoining cars need to stay low again in NASCAR T3 and T4 and on the backstraight before continuing racing.

If a yellow flag appears, drivers have to slow down safely. And take care of cars in front. They activate the pit speed limiter and stay away from the throttle. The distance between the car in front should always measure at least three car lenghts. To correct these, soft braking is allowed, as well as some throttle to keep the car straight. When having to avoid other cars in front, drivers are not allowed to move irratic. If you are the driver causing the yellow, slow down and bring the car down to the inside of the track safely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    not sure the yellow stuff would work so well - the flags in R3E clear quickly - if someone crashes the yellow comes out, then they quit to the pits and the yellow clears immediately so the caution period would last like 5 seconds

Regarding CC on the daytona oval, the next release will recognise the track as an oval and apply the oval logic for brake / tyre temps and spotter calls (high / low instead of left / right)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tom Weaver

Tom Weaver Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't even considered the spotter aspect of this. thanks for the shout!

6. Tom Weaver

Tom Weaver Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    @Olaf Hülse seems there's more to this 'oval' racing than even I'd considered! I was more worried about how the track is implemented. The infield isn't blocked off for a start and the pit exit is a little confusing at first...

Also, we don't have any Stock cars to drive... We do have the Indy but from the little research I've done already, seems Indy cars don't drive at Daytona... so I'm left a little perplexed as to what to run there too... I wonder if the GTR1 Nissan GTR would be a good fit here...

7. Olaf Hülse

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Take a look at the GTO Classics. The Ford Mustang in that is capable of nearly 300km/h in slipstream, has a loud V8...It's pretty much a NASCAR if you can get close to one
    Greetings

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Olaf Hülse

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Well, thats like NASCAR: An incident happens, yellow is waved and quickly after that, the Caution is called by the race control (eg via Discord, the Crew Chiefs of NASCAR tell their drivers when that happens). In most cases, yellow flag somewhere on the oval means caution and pace car out. By detecting that, crewchief can help, as you can set it up that he tells you every flag on course. The pace car driver can therefore quickly tell the race control.
    Greetings

9. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    group 5 corvette is pretty fast there. needs some fine tuning but will get in the 44 seconds range. I could only get the mustang down into the 46 sec zone. fun track no matter the car.

10. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I am running full fields of Camaro and Mustang GT3 cars in SP races. The roar of all those American V8s around the oval is glorious and it takes me back to the two NASCAR races I have attended in person in my lifetime (got free tickets). You can field 22 different liveries with just those two models and I have made a few asymmetrical adjustments to the aero and chassis to make the car I am driving handle better on the oval and minimize bottoming out in the banked corners. Setting the AI to about 107 gives me a pretty challenging and fun race. The GT3 pony cars are not perfect but they are as close as you will come to tin top oval racers in R3E. 22 live drivers would be fun in these cars.

11. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I thought the silhouette series was based closely on nascar or stock cars?

12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    no
    based more on euiropean cars

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Their designer seems to be Dr.Frankenstein - not many know that he actually studied in Ingolstadt (not far from Munich as well).

14. taonindo

taonindo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Will proper chassis adjustments be included? As is camber can only be set to zero or negative. Left side needs to be able to go positive. I would hate to see to much detail in adjustment cause I cant afford to hire a chassis expert.