Released December Update

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Dec 11, 2019.

1. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have exactly the same issue and you saved me a post, This issue is only in a race not practice or qualifying and is on all tracks I have tried since the update

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  2. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Wow....

There should be a warning sign: Caution, do not use without an Intel 15900 with 7 Ghz and an Nvidia 2580ti Super

Thanks, Nico, that saved the saturday evening for me.
    Hoping that I can make a call, that league administration don't use this option. What an massive impact. So this feature is unusable for people like me with such a low computer system :(

3. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Yeah was surprised by it as well and am just glad @Christian Göpfert suggested giving that a try when struggling with fps because otherwise id be completely screwed :D
    As long as its only progression of time during the day im completely fine just setting the multiplier to 0 but if night racing were to be implemented at some point id hope that they can do something to not make it cost much (or with my current pc any) performance

4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Its strange since I use a Rift, too, and did not note any noticable drops in frames. The visual experience for me is the same as always, I see no probs in my headset, the frames do not look to be different, it all is smooth. And my specs are lower than yours. Sure you have not maxed out every option possible and have some weired stuff running in the background? Some graphics features are more demanding than others.

What if you do no racestarts, but have the same amount of cars starting from pitlane, in a training/trackday setup, so that you have not as many cars in one place, but the same number of cars slowly scattering across all the track? The same, or a differnt outcome for you?

And if you have this damnn Experience thing by nVidia installed, deinstall it. The recording feature is nice, but it proved for me to be a system hog second to only a very few others in the past, on my old system. Install drivers by nVida manually instead.

---

Its by unlucky timing only, not meant to provoke FormelLMS - but I am here again to praise the achievment by S3 delivered with this update. I have used the recommended default settings for FFB, only added spring changes from 0 to 6%, and tweaked the last four options for effects a bit to values between 10 and 25. What I get is a tale of life and action and dynamics and interaction, vibrant, electrifying and voluminous, told by my wheel in a way it never has whispered in to me before. I see this as the best FFB suite in any race sim I know and use. S3 team, you worked miracles and wonders there! Also the physics of the cars, mostly Porsches of various kinds, but also a few others! Wowh. In the past I may have become known as the forum guy who always compares RR and AC1, and I used to say that in some aspects RR is better, in others AC1 - but that in physics and driivng AC1 edges out RR by a small but feelable margin. No more I do that. Honestly said: I think Sector3 have made it - they have taken the upper hand over AC1, I find the overall driving sensation and "believability", also the tiny details in it, slightly more convincing now than in AC1. Cynics in my place maybe would say "What took you so long, S3?" But I say: "Well, done, you made it. Very, very well done." I have driven it a lot in the days since release. This title has turned into being a heavyweight in the ring over the past two years, and nobody has any argument anymore to claim that its is just playing with the boys whereas rF2 or AC1 or iR is for the grown up men. No more a point in that, because since this update - at the latest! - Raceroom plays with the big bad boys around: and it absolutely not just holds its ground, but rumbles for the crown in the genre.

Super!

-----

I would encourage though to tailor the AI a bit.I noticed that the car in front tends to deliver me a fight, but once I am past it and the aI cannot keep itself in close vicinity to me, it falls behind quite quickly. I do not know what the internal criterion is, but it is as if the performane drops a bit once the gap is of a certain size, and gets a boost if it reache sinside a cirticla close distance again, or it drops after some time without a counter-attack having been successful. I would encourage to substantially sharpen the teeth of the aI there, allowing it to fight back when being overtaken for much longer. As long as the aI, after I attack it, can keep withon vicinity, it fights. Once it leaves that area close to me, it gives up. Thats not the spirit!

I did not try too many different tracks with this update, mostly Nigbo (was that the name? Thje new Chinese one, the anme always escapes me, great drivers track, btw) and Bilsterberg and Salzburg, so I cannot say to what degree the spinning issue I described earlier, and in the problems forum, is across the whole board of tracks, but the right-left chicane at Salzburg, after pitlane exit/start-finish-straight, needs an urgent cure. The aI reliably locks that point on the track by spinning and forcing the white flag. With high number of cars, it also doe snot kleave the place, but the spun car sits there lap after lap. Its okay for trackdays and training, but racing is currently impossible at salzburg.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So you can drive with time progression enabled with 90 fps @Skybird ?

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I use time progression from 20-25. I have no clue what my frame number is, I care for my visible frames only, and to my eyes the experience is as smooth and gentle as it always and ever ha sbeen, in this and any other title I use VR in. It does not get any better or worse just because a number claims it should be this or that. It does not matter what number it is. What you see with your eyes is what counts.

Really, I do not know. And I do not care. Its super smooth to my eyes. Period. I am not playing Raceroom to fill forms and calculate numbers! ;)

7. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So you can't say it haven't changed anything, you know.

And, sorry, your whole post says, that you don't have any clue of what you are speaking.

You know that VR only is smooth when you have your 90 FPS? If you can't archive those, your headset goes down to 45 FPS with ASW.
    ASW has it's own flaws, where I don't want to speak of here. For me, driving in ASW is not smooth and brings some stutter and delay with it.

No problem for many, but I want to drive competitive and so it's not an option for me.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    Few days have passed since December's Patch released and I must say it's almost like a new game, amazing how much difference can make a little tweak in sound effects and chassis behaviour.
    I am really enjoying latest physics, they fit me very well!

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. phspok

phspok New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So far seems mostly like a waste of 4.5 gig. Still no chat room. 934 is still terrible. The tyre temps in setup are welcome though.
    I need to spend some more time, but so far the DTM92 feel no different, The Gr4 now has a Procar which you have to buy, but seems no different than the existing one, a little revenue generator perhaps? Ningbo? surely a better track could have been chosen, I assume a cheap or free licence is why, but really ? is this the best you can do. It's all little straights and sharp turns, might work for the NSU, but it's near useless for most other cars. I am lost as to how anyone can say "it's almost a new game" I love this game, but was expecting something worthwhile, but for what my series do there's little in it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much. But you see, its not as if anyone cares if you stop driving competitively and throw it all out of the window and do not play RR competitively or elsewise anymore. Whether my own experience of it in the Rift is smooth or not, nobody can better assess than myself, since it is my eyes and my brain seeing it, and nobody else's. This might violate your theories, since you are a competitive driver. But again, nobody cares.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Great update, interesting and well done new circuit....but fps in VR went down a lot unfortunately. Need to turn ASW 45fps on in the debug tool, now. I have a Ryzen 5 2600x and a 2080. Before that with the opencomposite.dll it was not perfect but much better. Hope to see this sim with DX11 someday...contentwise it is the best imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  12. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Could you please do me a favor? Please stop writing factless poo when I report a problem?

If you can and want to help: ok. But nobody cares what is in your brain or you don't see. This is a thing where we speak about facts and as you can read in the post: I'm right, there was help from Nico regarding the time factor and THEN you came around the corner and, buff, helpless.

This is totally nonsense what you are writing and it didn't help someone.

So thanks for reading and now, leave me alone with those brainfarts.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for telling us all , and all by yourself, what you are really made of. ;) Not that it took you much effort. Where there is not much, not much can be revealed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I really don't know, where your problem is. If you want to discuss something in this direction, pm channel is free.

15. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    While I understand the disappointment, I just want to remind everyone that this is a first pass with a new subsystem that did require rather intense changes in terms of how light (and shadow) casting works.
    Of course the devs will continue working on improving these new features because we certainly aren't happy about such massive performance drops either.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Hello sector3, congratulation to the new update. Already mentioned it in the physics thread. This is truly the best update i have ever seen in Raceroom. The new physics/ffb is awesome. The AI is also now so much better as well. Today I didn't rear-ended into the AI any longer :) physics/ffb wise Raceroom is 2.0 only the graphics needs an overhaul now. Since I got a Valve Index I'm only driving in VR now. With the latest update the performance isn't the best any longer. I mean it depends on the track. Today I have driven The BMW M4 at Bilster Berg and I tested all kinds of super sampling settings. In the end even SS 2.0 was possible with almost 90 FPS. The Nordschleife is almost impossible to drive with 15 opponents. Here I only had 40fps most of the times.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    What? You and me must be driving different games or cars because that car is so sweet!
    I was driving the 92 DTM cars exclusively prior to the update and had a good feel for them and now after the update have done quite a few hours in them, to say they feel the same is just plain wrong! The y feel a whole heap different and in a good way, amazing is possible the word for the feeling now where before they where fun now amazing ;)

• Agree Agree x 11
  18. Carlos Barros

Carlos Barros Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    That's correct, it only happens on races. I thought it was just me. Any solution for this issue devs?
    Please check this image https://prnt.sc/qam161

• Like Like x 1
  19. giulio0079

giulio0079 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow thanks , I'm gonna try it tomorrow for sure , didn't think of that , too many variables and the time progression slipped my mind ;) I don't want to give up now, after all these years I had raceroom and only played it few times for hotlapping ... Damn vr ... You know it's gonna cause trouble and sometimes you remember the old days when your gpu was happily hammering your monitor ... But after trying it you can't go back ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SKY

SKY New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After the last update (hotfix) the game is not even starting for me now....just shows the small box where it says starting and thats it....! I reinstalled the game and didnt fix the issue....