Dedicated server - I'm missing something basic

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by heavelyz, Dec 26, 2020.

1. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Am already running RRE, via Steam, on a desktop computer.

Am trying to now start RR dedicated server on a separate laptop, on which I already have Steam logged into the same account. But, when trying to startup RRDS on the laptop it produces an "Error - Steam" dialogue stating "You are logged in on another computer already playing "RRE". Launching "RRDS" here will disconnect the other session from Steam".

Do I have to have another Steam account for RRDS to run it on a separate machine? Do I need to launch RRDS in a different way? Do I need to launch RRDS on the laptop BEFORE I launch RRE on the desktop?

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know, Steam doesn't need to be running on the dedicated server. It should be enough to run the dedicated server .exe directly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Still struggling. Maybe it's the way I'm installing.

I.e. I can only source the program via Steam. If I download and install it to local laptop via Steam it appears in file manager as a Steam internet shortcut. So even I run the exe direct via file manager, I still get the same Steam "error".

I'll check Steam to see if there's a way to install the exe itself, not a shortcut to a Steam web address

4. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    sorted...worked it out in the end...thanks all