Question Dedicated Server Linux Support

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by R. Winkler, Jun 3, 2015.

1. R. Winkler

R. Winkler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

i was trying to install the dedicated server on my linux root server. For it you need the app ID. I saw the ID in the patch notes but when using app_update command in steam cli I'm getting the error ERROR! Failed to install app '354060' (No subscription)

According to this link i'm either not logged in or haven't purchased the game/tool. But I'm logged in and the tool is for free?!

So if anybody was already successful with installing the dedicated server on a linux machine, any help would be appreciated! :)

2. R. Winkler

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I found out that you have to login to steam as user anonymous and then the app is found.

./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows
    login anonymous
    force_install_dir ./raceroom
    app_update 354060

Next problem is that the dedicated server app is a .exe file. So you need a program called Wine to start Windows Programs on a Linux machine.
    But when starting Wine I get the error:
    Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
    Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

So I think the next step is to install a GUI like Gnome, connect to it and then start Wine.

3. isi [vMADS]

isi [vMADS] Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    HI Robert,
    Have you found a solution? We are also just tinkering around and fail because the registration doesn't work out.
    What is the status of your stand?
    Greeting
    Daniel

4. R. Winkler

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Hi Daniel,
    ich habe das damals mittels VMware Workstation und einer Windows VM gelöst. Das war aber nicht sehr performant. Daher existiert diese Konstellation gar nicht mehr. Ihr werdet wohl nicht um einen PC mit Windows herum kommen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. isi [vMADS]

isi [vMADS] Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Hallo Robert,

Danke für Deine Rückmeldung. Ich dachte es mit Wine oder PlayOn Linux umgehen zu können aber leider scheitert es an der Registrierung vom Server :( Es wäre fast zu schön gewesen.

• Informative Informative x 1