Released Depth of Field Effect

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    What about physics update for GTR 2? I think that's pretty much the only class in the game that really needs an update to the new physics.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I had no idea this many people cared for the replays. I, for one, have never cared to watch a single replay...I'd much rather start the next race. To each their own I guess.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Not even if youv'e just had the most amazing battle with someone, replays are well worth watching a few times i reckon even if its only to show and brag about your overtaking prowess.:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    i barely see the Depth of Field effect. It's like from 10 cams i can see 2 cams with a clear difference having a DoF.

f.e.
    The camera is set on the tyres or the wall following the car and neither of these 'Objects' are blurred or focusing the cars where it would make most sense to blur the fore-/background and focus the car.

yeah, it's not really track-related. a wide focus and only slight blur. even the motion blur is more blurred then the DoF :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    I can't find the DOF position in "secondary functions" menu??? Any idea??? :confused::confused::confused:

dov.jpg

6. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    I would recommand you to test the tracks with newly updated TV cams, and especially the Action cams (use End key to cycle through them) as they are mostly featuring low DOF/high zoom factors, so this is where the DOF effect is the most noticeable. ;)
    Note that the Static cams don't have DOF yet.

For sure, some would prefer a stronger effect but this is a compromise (which by definition can't please everyone).
    Now, if you could compare "with" and "without" DOF, I don't think you would ever want to go back (I certainly couldn't :p).

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    yeah, there are cams where you can clearly see the DoF....they are good (though i still would prefer it stronger and with some Bokeh-DoF :p). Ok, so the static cams have none yet... and Heli cams will never get them i guess?! well,ok, i just played a replay of NoRising which has new updated cams...there were a few cams where you could clearly see the DoF but then some where i couldn't see anything. i made a screenshot (it was an Action-Cam).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Dof depends on zoom factor. Static cameras are often wide angle, and if you try at home to get blur on a wide angle lens, you will struggle.

So no dof isn't coming to static cameras unless there is a very zoomed in one somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I reckon in AC every static cam is deeply 'DoF'ed' and looks pretty good as example.

All i can say, up to now it's not nearly the DoF i would like to see in a game. Ofcourse it should be realistic.

10. Ur64n 50ulj4h

Ur64n 50ulj4h Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    As a general rule of thumb, I'm a lurker :rolleyes:... I read about or watch the changes, decide internally what I do and don't like, then binge on my flavour of the month sim (mainly RR, Automobilista and AC, none of which are or I'm expecting to be, perfect, I might add :eek:). I'm not really a MP, unable or willing to devote the scheduled requirements, preferring single player championships generally.
    Have you heard the saying, "You can't please all of the people all of the time!?:( I don't believe S3 are building this game with just you in mind are they?? As the for AC reference, well this isn't AC is it? If you prefer that then why not play it instead? :rolleyes:
    What I do know is, there are no perfect sims' out there, no one-sim-fits-all and if you believe there is, why aren't you playing it all the time? But they are plentiful, as in more sims choice now than ever, unless of course you're 'new to the game' and not aware of the changes, improvements, developments and choices, even just in the last 5 years. :) So... why not just accept that each sim has it's own little niche and character, with a little something for everyone and move on. I'm stuck in a hospital, after a hip operation earlier today and unable to sleep. :( Knowing that I cannot touch my rig for at least 6 weeks is already frustrating enough, without having to sit here reading about changes and/or updates for my favourite hobby, I will (or won't) be able to enjoy for the foreseeable near future, whilst constantly seeing you complain/troll, who knows:rolleyes:, (or cares?:p) is just tedious (I'm particularly referring to the DEV Stream on Mon thread, you so kindly appeared in, only to see you pop in here too, still on the same vibe?! :(
    TL;DR :D summary below....
    Life is too short and the world, universe, galaxy is too big - so what I'm saying is, step back, take a deep breath and just try to enjoy life as best you can.... unless of course you're a glass 1/2 empty kind of guy, then just put me on your ignore list.
    I think this site needs a 1st world problems smiley, just for situations like this :cool::rolleyes:;):)

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  11. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Wow, so much nonsense.... sing hello4me.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Ur64n 50ulj4h

Ur64n 50ulj4h Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    :disappointed::weary::wink::sleeping:

13. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I can't ignore developers? Haha

Ok here is the deal, if DoF gets improved in the next patch like mentioned above, similar to 'photorealistic, 'beatiful', 'amazing', the disagree from a dev is okay

If not, i'm out here.....promised and forever.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    I was just disagreeing on the "so much nonsense" part. To me @Ur64n 50ulj4h 's answer made tons of sense :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    i used AC as example because they simply had a 'eye' for it from the start - like a photograph and it's in the same genre and i own it ;)

other example : Let's take Istockphoto .... u search a photo from a car and see one which has great quality, the car is super focused, nice blurred background and intense picture..... <- a professional photograph

then you find the same photo, no focus at all, no blurred background, totally boring picture .... <- an amateur photograph. and that's exactly R3E DoF.

So his whole post was totally nonsense (why don't you play AC? you can't please everyone! You see 1/2 glass empty? i'm injured and play Singleplayer ha lol :rolleyes::D)

• Dislike Dislike x 4
  16. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Things are not always so simple. Even with very qualified photographs in the team, achieving a perfect result is not automatic.

Implementing the DOF was already a performance and we can only hope for improvements in the future.

AC managed to do it right from day 1? Great, but both game engines are considerably different, so we can't expect the exact same render, right ? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. J-F Chardon

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    I just have to disagree that our static cameras should have dof. They are wide angle... and set to hyperfocal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    No they didn't, along with many other things, even now...

19. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    yeah, probably ;) the values for focus, DoF are right in the cam-files, they did each cam manually...which doesn't seem to be the case in R3E, more of an automatic process for all cams which is probably the reason for some 'cheap results'. In the past i made about 10 cam-files for AC Tracks, so i also know a bit of what i'm talking about, though i'm not a professional photograph ;)

I lost nothing with having this current released DoF but i also gained nothing with having it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    As JF Chardon said, DOF is currently linked to zoom factor, which is perfectly logical to apply a global treatment, and it works great in this configuration.

FYI, each cams in R3E are done manually, we're not using any automatic generator.
    Adjusting DOF amount per cams would be great aswell, but we just have to accept that it's not possible yet ;)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016