Differential settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sean Kenney, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Curious what you guys are using on average for power, coast and preload settings per car class. Specifically DTM and ADAC?

Thanks.

2. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I found this on the www. It 's not what you asked but i don't know the answer to your question. But i thought maybe it is still an interesting read.

This article was written by James Andrew.

The Differential

Increasing the percentage of power locking will give you better traction when going in a straight line but tends to make the 'rear try to overtake the front' when accelerating whilst turning. If you have 100% locking, both rear wheels will recieve the same amount of torque when you accelerate which means that the outside wheel will be more likely to lose grip during cornering. Decreasing the power locking will cause more wheelspin in a straight line but you won't get as much power-oversteer because the lions share of the engine torque will be fed to the inside (unloaded) wheel causing it to spin. This doesn't always result in oversteer since it is the outside wheel that is doing most of the work. Beware of setting the power locking too low as this will cause wheelspin.

The theory for coast locking is the similar but when coasting there is nowhere near as much torque for the diff to transfer to the wheels, only the effect of engine braking. If you encounter oversteer when lifting the throttle, such as when braking, increase the coast locking. If you set the coast locking very high or even 100% you may find that the car becomes unstable when downshifting. Decreasing the coast locking frees up the car when decelerating and will help turn-in, though setting the coast locking too low will give you lift-off oversteer.

Preload is what it says: it applies load to the diff even before torque is tranferred and affects power, coast and neutral throttle (neither accelerating nor decelerating). You have to have enough preload to takeup the play in the bearings so if you set this too low the diff will be 'loose' and the diff will slip and never lock-up fully. Too much preload will make the diff 'tighter' and lockup very suddenly when power is applied. If you were thinking of increasing both power and coast locking, you should try increasing preload instead as this gives you more locking overall.

Thanks to our guest author, James Andrew for this set-up guide.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    l use anywhere from 15-40% power and 30-45% coast with preload at 2 or 3 in ADAC or DTM.

I generally set the power% lower with higher HP cars.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    if the car spins too much under throttle, less power %

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Thanks all.

For some reason I thought running the power at 100% was the best thing to do, lol. A lot better now that I am more in a normal range.

Just need to figure out the preload a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I learnt recently that low Power setting was helping a lot with cars spinning on corner exit. The exception might be 4WD cars, where I (finally) managed to control the DTM 92 Audi with 100% Power. Haven't tried lower Power, but it's definitely usable with 100%.

7. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    High power setting really helps rotate the car in the middle of the corner though, which is useful for normally power-understeery cars like the GTs. It's a balancing act, just like everything with the setups. It's more of a driving style thing for me though and less dependent on the specific track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    well, in few words
    power - affect the behaviour of the car when accelerating out of a corner
    coast - affect the behaviour of the car entering a corner and letting off the throttle
    but these behaviour change also with downforce, spring, ammo ecc ecc variations

block - how much torque is needed for locking

• Like Like x 1