Digital steering return - too fast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maskerader, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Recently I tried Race 07 out of curiosity, and there was one particular thing that was impossible to miss. Watch the video.

When you use digital controls (keyboard), in Race 07 your steering wheel always turns with the same speed both when you press a steering button and when you release it. "Steering sensitivity" setting affects both these speeds.

In R3E however, "Steering sensitivity" only affects how fast your wheels turn towards the lock, but the return speed is always the same - equal to steering speed at 50% sensitivity. And this is too fast. Like, really fast: about 0,1 second from lock to zero. I use much lower steering sensitivity, 13% right now. In the video you can see that the return speed is ~3,5 times faster than the steering speed.

This results in much "jerkier" steering on exit and in long corners, slower lap times, worse consistency and less precise control. I never noticed it before because I got used to it and assumed this is how it should be. But after playing Race 07 I realised it doesn't have to work like that, it's more uncomfortable and more tiring, even if you exclude the obvious negative effects on your driving performance.

-------
    From the fact that return speed never changes no matter the settings, I'm confident that this wasn't intended, it's either a bug or it was overlooked at some point. We have "Throttle release rate" and "Brake release rate" settings, it would be good to also have "Steering return rate" setting.

I personally would be happy even if you make the return speed match steering speed, but! - switching from R3E-style steering to Race07-style was actually pretty frustrating for me not only because I needed to readjust my habits, but also because I didn't know what's going on (at first I thought it was because of the cars and/or physics). So in order to avoid making some people really unhappy about what happened with the game, adding a new setting would be a better option.

-------
    P.S. I hope to hear something from devs on that. Even something as little as "yeah, looks like a bug" or "we're aware of that".

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You should be able to tweak this with the analog sectors and the return multiplier.

3. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I thought about that but no matter what values I put there, even the most absurd combinations, steering behavior remains the same. Am I missing something?

4. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it doesn't work for keyboard keys, it definitely works for gamepad axes.

5. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Offtopic, but this got me wondering. What do these values actually do? I thought analog sectors are used to change linearity, but isn't that what steering sensitivity does anyway when it's applied to analog controls? And what is return multiplier for?

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I donĀ“t think it does for keyboards and return to centre on keyboards is plenty fast enough on default settings anyway.

It is possible to check this by using the gamepad digital buttons to steer and not the mini joysticks.

7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    I think he meant that if this setting worked for keyboards, I could tune it down to make the return speed as slow as I need it.

8. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Bump. Hope this thread will be noticed this time.