DirectX 9 CPU Benchmark Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Norbi930523

Norbi930523 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I checked the temperatures, same results for both bad and good scores:
    - CPU: consistently 44-46°C during the whole benchmark
    - GPU: started at 37°C, slowly increased to 40 by the end of the benchmark

2. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I suggest opening new thread about your performance issue as more people would be able to help.
    Look to me as the cpu is under-performing for some reason. Would suggest to benchmark only the cpu with Cinebench as its not using the GPU and may isolate the problem.

3. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    @Norbi930523 If you use GPU-Z to show your PCI-E bus interface, what is displayed there?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. Norbi930523

Norbi930523 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    @Ablaze it says: PCIe x16 3.0 @ x2 1.1, which sounds bad :D (I also saw @ x2 3.0). I tried setting PCIe to Gen3 specifically, but didn't change anything. Other solutions I found is cleaning out the slots or might be some bent pins. The card itself is in the PCIe x16 slot.

5. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +119 / 0 / -0
    @Norbi930523 Click on the small ? to the right of the bus interface field. This will produce a load on your GPU and will show the correct bus speed. If it's not showing x16 3.0 you have the reason for your perforamce problems. If that's the case make absolutely sure that your card is in the very first PCIe 16 slot of your mainboard, just directly below the CPU socket. The PCIe speed for this slot must be set to auto or Gen 3 in your BIOS.

A friend of mine had the exact same issues with his PC a few days ago and it turned out he inserted the GPU in the wrong PCI slot so the card was only running with x4 1.1. The performace increase after the GPU was running with x16 3.0 was to the moon and beyond. :D

6. Norbi930523

Norbi930523 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    x2 is the most that I get. But from what I've read so far, the link width (x1, x2, x4, etc) doesn't depend on the load on the GPU, but that's a different topic :D I tried reseating the GPU, resetting CMOS, cleaning the PCIe slot (I have only one), cleaning the GPU, still x2. Fortunately, I still have my old GPU so I put it back and GPU-Z shows x16 link width for it. One catch: I had to connect the monitor to the integrated graphics HDMI slot, as my old GPU doesn't have HDMI, only DVI and mini-HDMI, and I'm not sure how this affects the results - although I checked my new GPU the same way (i.e. connected to integrated graphics), and GPU-Z still showed the correct data (and x2). So since my old GPU has x16 link width, that makes me believe that the issue is with the GPU itself.

7. Norbi930523

Norbi930523 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Finally! I've got a replacement card (still GTX 1660 Ti), and now this one operates at x16.

While running Unigine:
    - Average FPS: 233 vs previous best 164 (worst was around 81)
    - GPU load: around 40% vs previous 98%
    - Bus interface load: 15-20% vs previous 50% (when I got good FPS) and 85% (when I got bad FPS)

Thank you all for all the tips and advice! :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2