DiRT 4 announced

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tobias Schröder, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    The next part of the DiRT Series by Codemasters has been announced: DiRT 4!
    That is what the developers had to say about the game:

"The experience of DiRT 4 comes two ways, with gamer handling and sim handling. Gamer is like DiRT 3 but better, and Sim is DiRT Rally but better. Kris Meeke and Petter Solberg helped us developed the sim handling... and did we mention there's a near infinite amount of tracks? [...] We've got PvP Rally and Team Development [...] "

Screenshots:

ss_0f3f41c4739e829b8093790fa5b767647ddf7045.1920x10802.jpg
    ss_101e771250373db1e6a4a17955b8bc671d1c4617.1920x1080.jpg
    ss_101e771250373db1e6a4a17955b8bc671d1c4617.1920x10801.jpg
    ss_68353d6b1f74c5478e5b37dbdd47cd5bd94df082.1920x10805.jpg
    ss_cfeb262662bc7e6f852db299902637c59642273b.1920x10804.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    More info here.

Two parallel handling model sounds doable. One continuing where DR left off, one for the 1/2/3 playerbase. I could see it working.

3. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Excited about the route generator. If they nail that, it'll be genius.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  5. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    DiRT 4 Road Book

https://dirtgame.com/blog/6061

"We’ve got an extra-special DiRT Show coming up next week which we filmed at our incredible announcement event yesterday, complete with capture and some very special guests, so stay tuned for that."

"We’ve also got the much requested rally school, where you can learn and practise your skills and we’ve added a simpler handling model for those that have struggled with the level of simulation in DiRT Rally. That said, if you loved DiRT Rally’s simulation engine then you have nothing to fear. In fact we’ve made significant improvements to it with new aerodynamics, more accurate modelling of suspension geometry, new tyre models and better damage simulation. On top of all that we’ve made huge improvements in our lighting tech, arm over arm animation and character modelling so there is plenty to look forward to."

6. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I'm sceptical.
    Would rather have seen Dirt 4 being its own, and get implementations and DLC's for Dirt Rally.

7. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Get ready for: Dirt 4 coming in June, Project Cars 2 scheduled "September-ish", and a new Forza Motorsport rumored for PC on September too...

8. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Agree to a certain extent, but it seems they are largely building it on Dirt Rally and expanding it, so I'm not very worried.

9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Keeping in mind that it is Codemasters, they did a fine job with Dirt Rally (except for total purists who are actually never to be satisfied - been one myself btw. - :rolleyes: - but that goes for all other sim titles as well )
    So I don't worry much about DIRT 4 and I'm pretty sure it might become a worthy successor....;)

10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/dirt-4-a-look-at-your-stage-track-generation-tool.133664/

Sound promising*. I doubt I have driven 30% of Dirt Rally stages (Bloody RRE!) but this is THE feature that would get me to part with money. (It makes no more sense to me, believe me!) Release date seems to have gone back a month, but that is good - it gives me time to put a few more rally miles under my belt.
    A lot of people are worried the sim aspect of the physics will be diluted, but as I can't keep a rally car on the road without assists, it's not a worry for me.
    This is going to be an expensive year for some of us.....:):):) and I love it!

*promising, but there wasn't a box to put your own random seed generator in; I really wanted to try the rally stage generated by Mr Mints Taboo.
    And Rallye Spice : generated by Baby, Ginger, Posh, Scary, and Sporty. (Alphabetised to avoid accusations of favouritism.)

Note to self : must get out more.......

Edit : The spicers have probably been responsible for plenty of seed generation over the years....

11. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
  12. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I just realised that Dirt 4 will feature the Opel Ascona 400. This is going to be epic.

13. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Too bad that Pcars 2 is the only confirmed VR title.

It doesn't matter how awesome Dirt4 will be if it's only playable on 2d screens..... Once you've gone VR, there simply no going back to racing on monitors anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Squanchy

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I've heard that said on VR in general. That it's something us peasant 2d flatties wouldn't understand. ;/ I'm starting to get an itch for it myself.

15. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
  16. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Group B rally cross!

17. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    DiRT 4 - First Hour and a Half Gameplay!

18. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Watch at 30min and listen...

19. Squanchy

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Looks great, sounds great. And that's it. So disappointing.

Rally gravel handling is very much changed from Dirt Rally for the worse. You can no longer skid and drift and flick. Super grippy, like driving on tarmac. I find no fun in it. I'm hoping they will patch it up and improve it. FFB is decidedly more muted and worse than Dirt Rally.

Landrush is cute but bizarrely too easy on highest AI level. It's like Raceroom on AI 80%. There's one higher level but you can only unlock it by doing a career and finishing all the tracks. Yes, that cheap arcade tactic that I thought was gone from the world.

Rallycross is virtually the same as in Dirt Rally but with less FFB, two more tracks, and AI that has not improved one bit. They have no awareness, and I mean none. I did literally dozens of restarts after being spun out by them and after finally finishing the race was told I had been penalized for corner cutting about a meter with 3 seconds, which pushed me to last place.

So just zero fun, all frustration. Unbelievable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I don't like the new DiRT at all, too.
    Handed the game back already and got the 55€ back which I won't invest in Codie's F1 2017 for sure.

Bad physics (and wtf is this simulation mode? how can you even think of calling this a "simulation" mode??) , bad graphics, FFB is way to weak.

DiRT Rally was great, DiRT 4 is just disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 2