DiRT Rally

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tobias Schröder, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    In fairness, they're effectively making a 'free' DLC for cars and, yes, I'm also really disappointed that there won't be any more unique kilometres created for DR, but I hope the success of it will influence their future decisions.

I doubt the three years of stage modelling will not be used again in future titles and, even if they do diversify the series more than I would like (already done with the RX and Hillclimb stuff) they have certainly earned my interest in their next offering - whether or not I'll buy it will depend on what it is, but I don't think all hope is lost just yet.

Anyway, DR has probably given me the best time:money ratio of any game since GTR2, so I certainly can't complain at the moment.

Really looking forward to the two new Renaults.

2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    seems that's there's not a lot of interpretation in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    As I said before with DR Codies fulfilled a request that came up 15 Years ago with CMR 2.0 and from me they've got no money since then and until DR Early Access came out and probably will get no money again, cause " making the game more accessable" doesn't sound good to me. Codies became global mainstream developers with their sales strategies and in a way I expected/anticipated that the current Dirt Rally might be the only one worth to buy for real simfans...and by getting it for a fair price as Early Access it's enough for me to have some hours fun with Rallydriving...not more not less...

Btw. I took a look at the new Loeb Rally Title (Review) and Lord I never will understand why Pro's give their names for something arcadish like that (except for some percentages from the sales)...has Seb Loeb never heared of R3E or other true sims were Racedrivers are truly involved ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

This is were you see the difference between drivers that are simracer (onside theire IRL carrier, etc Like Kelvin VDL or even Max Verstappen) and driver that don't give a sh##t about simracing, and only play racing games sometimes for the pictures.
    Being a good driver doesn't mean you'll understand what is simracing and what are the expectations. You need to be a minimum involved in simracing to get it right and give the right feedback to the devs.

With all the respect I have for Seb Loeb as a driver, I really don't think he has any clue about simracing.. at all. And I really don't think he is interested at all by simracing.

6. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what makes yo think its any less arcade than DR, do you actually own it.. i can tell you now, its not arcade, and no less "sim" than this game. Don't read the trash on the internet mate.

Granted it has issues that shouldn't be released but it drives pretty damn well.

Don't judge your expectation on the kids on steam. It does the tarmac better. trust me

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    No it was a thorough official review and not by a fan or sth. And to be honest if I should see that horrible driving in the vid above as reference I wouldn't buy none of them...;)...and come on: the sound of SLR appears like the devs have slept during the past ten years...but as said I'm not very obsessive with Rally, and since RBR, DR was the first (although not perfect) title that fits my needs so far.....why just buy another one that basically offers the same like DR ? Have no money to waste pal..:)
    PS: And except for Richard Burns Rally I never saw a game/sim that was worth to buy just because some celebrity put his name to...(well okay: old CMR but that was another time , another universe :) )

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. chrisnj

chrisnj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Is this test done with a Wheel or a Game pad? Looks kinda like a game pad to me. Just saying, but if one was to argue one is more sim or less sim, you would need to use a racing wheel to do so. Otherwise its just "arcade" with a game pad. But maybe it is a wheel.

9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Sebastien Loeb Rally actually looks pretty visually pleasing to me. Of course it could be better like just about every racing game out there, but it doesnt really look "bad" to my eyes. Actually, I was quite impressed with the damage modeling. Pretty much better than any other racing game that I have seen recently.

The comparison above to DR at Pikes Peak was fairly close. Some elevation changes were obviously different, cockpits were a bit different. And SLR had a much more "track day cruising" feel to it than DR since it didnt have any crowd watching as the car drove by, and had very little race day elements like banners, tents, canopies, etc. Different vibe. Cant say I prefer one over the other.

That said, this game runs like absolute trash for me. Massive stutters, horrible framerate (below 60... and mostly around 40) and terrible wheel support. Like, non-existent wheel support. It has a profile that recognizes my G27, but that's about as far as the support goes. The wheel animation on screen has horrendous lag so it doesnt match your real wheel. The steering rotation is borked and doesnt properly work. For instance, they have an automatic steering rotation adjustment that should change with each different car you pick... except that is broken and doesnt work. FFB is quite bad too. They sort of have the Pcars approach. Make the wheel heavy so it feels like something is happening. Really odd feeling that clips terribly even when lowering the strength a lot.

Not to mention the game doesnt seem to support multiple different USB devices. So some people have a G27 and different pedals that arent registering.

Driving feel wasnt all that bad. Couldnt really get into it much from how bad the wheel support was, but it was between arcade and sim from my first perceptions.

So I guess we shouldnt believe your review abundantly praising the game in the Steam reviews section? As well as calling those that are voicing valid concerns children. ;)

There are certain things that are quite objective and not opinion. Things like performance, wheel support, etc. These things cannot be disputed if there are massive problems with them like SLR has. To say this game is wonderful and can displace DR as the best rally game currently available is mis-stating the facts as they currently are.

The career mode in SLR seems special, since it is actually well fleshed out, but with all the other issues this game has... it's relegated to another Milestone piece of shovel-ware. Especially with how it currently is being released.

But of course, this is just one man's opinion on the internet, and as Dan says, dont read into this trash :D

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  10. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nate yes i agree some of your points. But can I correct you on my voicing of children in the steam forums. I was inexplicably talking about the posts of disgust and abuse towards milestone. I agree with most issues - like Logitech seen to be having with rotation. I must say my t300 works fairly well in Seb. I have no game breaking issues and solid 60 fps, reflections set lower do help. But apart from some minor things Seb to me is quite a success.....

but there's obviously some qa issues. With milestone history maybe the bad rep us deserved, but served in not such a volatile manner

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, in that case, I agree with you there. It isnt always a good idea to slag off a developer for past work. Always best to give something a chance first before really judging it.

I just think it is a shame that the game released the way it did. The career is intriguing for once, and the driving isnt terrible it seems, but with the other issues, I just dont want to/cant get into it.

12. chrisnj

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
  13. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    A few more participants would be nice...and I actually would prefer not to restart the stages...one shot = fire and forget.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I totally know what you mean btw. Coming relatively new (again) to Steam a while ago, naively visiting discussionboards - what a Freakshow ! :)

15. AzkarateAsi

AzkarateAsi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone here play Richard Burns Rally? Im just curious

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
  17. chrisnj

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Fairman, We are varying the events depending on the difficulty. The coming events are made to be harder and do not include the restart option. For future events we will likely not use the restart event feature because it creates an advantage for drivers who go last because they can see what the leader ran and retry until they beat it. (I was given this option and chose to keep my time to loose by 3 seconds to be fair ;p)

Love the feedback! Keep it coming!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I just want them to open up Pikes Peak to all vehicles..

• Like Like x 1
  19. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yepp, would be nice...

20. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Do NOT touch that one. It's a disgrace to the Colin name and an epic failure by Codemasters to "remaster" one of their classics.