Disable world movement for VR users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oliver.johann, Mar 11, 2017.

1. oliver.johann

oliver.johann New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really like the VR implementation, it brought me back to the game.
    But the constant shaking of the track especially at a track like Zolder gave me a headache.
    So I tried to find a way to disable the world movement. I couldn't find any settings but I found a trick, which I read on another forum:
    open 'cockpit_driver_view.xml' or 'cockpit_driver_view_triple.xml' in cars/carname/cameras folder in a text editor
    find this:
    <orientationSpeed type="Vector">{0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed>
    and replace the values with 10.00000000 50.00000000 2.00000000 (pitch, yaw, roll)
    You have to do that for all cars!

This gets rid of the shaking and gives a much more pleasent experience for VR users in my opinion.
    It would be really nice if this could be implemented into the game as an option.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Believe me, this shaking is horrible for other than VR users too.
    So +1 for a way to control that in game, without having to dig in the files...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Purg

Purg Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. Would be a great addition to VR. It's especially difficult to stomach in open wheelers on Zolder.

4. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and another reason why such a control may come in handy:
    I discovered that all my " 10.00000000 50.00000000 2.00000000" settings I had changed a while ago, are all gone now !
    Had to do them all over again. Maybe these values got reset after an update ?
    Would be nice to be able to keep them though... :rolleyes:

5. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys, I have issues with any background bouncing as well even though not related to VR.
    You can use a simple program called Find & Replace to change all the files in a matter of seconds.
    I use this for several titles where I need to make adjustments like Automobilista cam files.
    Point it to your Cars folder, adjust the settings you see in the Replace box to your liking, click replace and go race!!!! :)
    Hope that helps, it takes the effort out of it. Obviously sometimes when a title is updated/patched the files are overwritten and you will need to run it again.

Download Find & Replace (aka FNR) program here

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeppers, if you edit those files they will be detected and replaced when doing a cache files check.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I assumed as much.
    Not a problem after @Bailey Lagstrum tip :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    the prob is you cant copy and paste the line in "find" and "replace", kind of weird imo

9. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    You must use old school keyboard shortcuts (CTRL + V) to paste.
    Since I modify so many little things in my games I keep a folder of game settings to remind me what I changed... memory isn't what it use to be. Inside my RaceRoom file I have these settings typed in notepad so I can copy and then CTRL V them into F&R.
    15 seconds and I'm up and running, sure beats doing them one by one.
    B

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. silvanob2

silvanob2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Ah ok Bailey, i will do it that way, thanks for your info.

11. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

This little proggy is free and does a brilliant job at find / replace using batch command to change same setting in every single car file. Takes couple of minutes to get familiar and then off you go !

I know this was explained above but just to elaborate a bit for those unfamiliar with the directory structure :-

Goto your steam directory path, mine is E:\STEAM\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData

Look in GameData/Cars/ [Car] /Cameras/cockpit_driver_view
    Rename the following line in the "cockpit_driver_view.xml" file in the directory of the car you wish to lock view.
    I do them all using Notepadplus but just try one car to test it out first if you like.

"<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{0.00000000 0.00000000 0.00000000}</orientationSpeed>"

Change it to :-

"<orientationSpeed type="Vector">{1.00000000 0.00000000 1.00000000}</orientationSpeed>"

As stated the values equal pitch, yaw & roll so changing the first and last zeroes to one locks the view fully to the horizon.
    If you are like me then you cannot race in VR without locking the view to the horizon else you end up with motion sickness.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    They really need to put a slider or adjustment for VR users. I can't play more than 30 minutes without getting a headache or serious eye strain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    Then solution is here fully explained and very simple. Just follow & do it ! ;)

14. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Agreed it should become and option in game, along with a G Force slider as this is missing altogether and very much needed in VR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Why for VR users only? This feature would be welcome by many non VR users too. World movement is the most unrealistic nonsense...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Tried changing those values to 1, 0, 1 but I didn't like it. No head movement at all. I then tried 0.5, 0, 0.5 and that didn't seem any different. I'd like roughly half of what we have today in terms of head movement. Anyone know what the range of values is?

17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Try the 10 - 50 - 2 values, see if you like them. It probably differs from person to person, but they feel OK on my triple setup.

18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    ^ This is what I came up with ages ago, the in-game head movement setting is set to 50.

It allows for a little side-to-side head swaying and very minor world movement, which means that the horizon will still shake a little when you're driving over very hard bumps.
    The first value is the one that determines the strength of the horizon lock, any value below 30 basically means the camera is locked to the horizon, the more you increase it above that, the more horizon shaking will be allowed.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    The one zero one values work perfectly for me in VR plus with my motion system operating. Everyone is different I guess but the movement to me feels totally realistic and irl your eyes subconsciously lock to the horizon most of the time so the compensation for the outside world movement is a physiological and natural response.

20. Vampire

Vampire New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agreed - I also set your 101 values and it works perfectly with my Rift setup. IRL your eyes do a very good job of levelling out any movement so this is much more realistic.
    You just need to look at games like Star Citizen when they were trying to get their walking movement correct and used real head movement data for the camera - and ended up with a terrible bobbing swaying camera movement that looked very alien and wierd...but that is how your head actually moves when you walk but your eyes completely smooth it out.

• Agree Agree x 2