DIY: XBox controller in use as a button box

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rik Fast, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I made my xbox controller usable as a button box while driving. With the xbox controller i gain an extra 22 buttons to program for R3E. I don't know what i will do with it yet, but the future will tell!

The xbox 360 controller is removable attached to a flexible arm, so i can position it where i want. See pictures for details. Maybe this gives you some ideas for your own setup.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I like it, a cheap and practical solution. The analog sticks could be used for break bias or navigate through the pit stop menu... a lot of opportunities!

• Like Like x 1
  3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Good idea! I might try this.

As @Thomas Friedrich said, pitstop menu navigation is how I would probably use it. Most other essential driving controls are mapped to my Fanatec CSR and I use my TH8RS sequential shifter to adjust brake balance when using paddle shift, and paddles to adjust brake balance when using sequential shift.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rik Fast

Rik Fast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I programmed the controller for pitsstop, seat adjustment, track, driver, ghost and raceline info. Brake bias etc..

It's working perfectly and easy to control. Even blind the buttons are easy to navigate and use because of the distinct shape of the xbox controller.

In the menus you can use the xbox controller to navigate, regardless of the button programming.