Do you have VR yet? Or do you plan to get it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heppsan, Oct 17, 2016.

?

What VR headset do you have, will, or will not get?

1. I have a HTC Vive.

2. I have a Oculus CV1.

3. I have Other, DK1, DK2, OSVR etc.

4. I will get VR within this year, or first quarter next year.

5. I will get it at some point, but no rush.

6. I will never convert to VR

7. I haven't made up my mind yet..

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    We don't need another thread, begging for VR!
    I just thought it could be intresting to see how many of the R3E comunity that has converted to a VR set up, or in the plans of doing so in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Not for the short-term, will observe it for a few years.

I'm amazed that so few places have samples to try to be honest; I'm sure it will be a game-changer, but I'm going to wait for it to become more standard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hascoman

Hascoman New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm convinced that once I start racing in VR I can't go back to a monitor, but the technology isn't quite there yet and it's very expensive for a piece of technology that will rapidly change the coming years.

I'll wait a year or two if I can hold myself to see where it goes and if the market becomes popular enough to make it more affordable. And I'm sure that by that time VR is more integrated and supported by all my favourite racing games.

4. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Nope, won't get VR at all unless more genre (at least strategy or MOBAs) is able to utilise VR without gimmicky gameplay. Most VR only games on Steam looked like trash at the moment.

I don't play racing games solely and VR offers almost nothing outside of racing games which isn't worth getting at all for me. My entire library of games only has 5 supported games (Elite, pcars, Redout, AC and Dirt Rally), I do not see myself spending so much money solely for a few games.

I tried VR before, the current goggles are heavy and uncomfortable. Even if I am getting VR, I'll wait for the wireless models without the current grainy screens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Access to different devices at work
    http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidias-discovery-demo-stunning-look-future-industrial-design/ (shameless plug: wrote the renderer for this :)

Personally not interested until:
    * ergonomics get better (CV1 glasses fogging, tried on racerig at home, cabling... still not something that I would wear really long)
    * resolution gets a good deal higher (Dirt Rally works fine, but "track racing" feels too low res)
    * a tad more games
    * they worked out the virtual hand controllers (they are still doing iterations on the design)

in short am not an early adopter, however for "serious" applications I can totally see the usefulness with today's state.
    granted having access to the hw and games at work, helps a lot, I may have bought one for "kicks" and development if I hadn't access via the job anyway.

Looking forward to what sony can crank out in terms of games over the next year.

In the long run, I do believe VR/AR will make a big impact.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Wake me up in the 2020's, like racing using just door mirrors at low res in RR, they're far more cumbersome than they need to be, have a feeling it will be third or fourth gen before I take the plunge, It's not just the VR side, other hardware needs to comply, backpack PC's, Impact vests,universal treadmills, gloves etc. Then of course there's the software, you need to be able to have fully interactive cockpits etc etc. Early days and of course they need lots of people to adopt to invest in the future but still in the gimmick phase as far as I'm concerned. Most definitely the future though, what better way to get the young away from staring at their phones, by getting them to stare at two, velcroed to their heads! :D

7. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Do you mean something like this ;):

[​IMG]

No thanks, I have no interest in this:

[​IMG]

I prefer my 27-inch BenQ Monitor since X-mas 2015 :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Sean Lander

Sean Lander Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Did my first session with the Vive and while I was totally blown away by how much easier it is to drive when you can look around freely, I was very disappointed with the graphics. I would find doing long sessions a real chore with the current technology.

It it's definitely the future though. A year or two and I will definitely own a VR device.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Tried it twice, each time I felt nausea coming up after a few laps.
    I was also disappointed with the graphics.
    Moreover I want to keep in touch with my (real) surroundings, so I'll stay with my triple screen setup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Not sure, need to try it.

I feel it's a technology that needs a few years to mature and our PCs/consoles need to be much faster. I'm not prepared to take a step back in resolution so I'll wait for the whole field of VR to evolve.

There's also the concern about being taken out of your surroundings, something I simply cannot do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Tried it, it's cool, but i prefer an immersive triple screen rig with real doo-dads i can play with in the cockpit. Plus I typically sweat like a prostitute in church so it's just not the best device for me.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Bought it loved it sold it. It's great but............

• Like Like x 1