Do your setup's translate from Sim to Sim?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GooseCreature, Jun 20, 2019.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Tea-time poser, seeing as we are talking about physics, which kinda follow a general rule, well until some smart arse changes them.
    Just wondered if a new car, say, I dunno; a Lambo Huracan arrived in RR, would you first drive it with the default, @Alex Hodgkinson setup and tweek from there or use a base setup favoured in another Sim?

2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I'd definitely recommend everyone start with the base setup with any new car. If they find it doesn't suit them after a few laps, that's fair enough, but to go straight in and start to fiddle when you know nothing about her personality is a real stab in the dark!

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    And I'd definitely never use a setup from another sim, quite often the definitions of settings are not the same, especially when it comes to 'clicks'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    In theory though, if the car from both sims is the same and is simulated accurately, the basis of the setup should be transferable? Eg tyre pressure, spring rate etc, even if the values in clicks or whatever are not the same. I suspect that since physics models are different and none of them are entirely accurate (it is a model after all) there would be differences.

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Regarding your default setups, I do find them to be generally very good and as you say huge changes are not needed. I do find them slightly biased towards understeer though, is that intentional to keep them "safe". Not criticism, just wondering.....

6. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that's entirely by design. The reasoning is that for a first time driver of a new car it's much more user friendly to find the limit by hitting a slight amount of understeer than hitting a barrier backwards, hard. That's always the approach we took when setting up driving experience cars at Silverstone etc and it's ingrained in me now :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Have to say it's not my Mantra, to use another Sims setup but I do add a raft of oversteer to RR default ones, purely because of the above comments and my personal preference. I do also have a standard setup that I try on something I can't get to do what I want, gives me a basic oversteery feel and I work from there. Was just curious as to whether similar setups in different Sims produced similar results. A lot of mine bear a striking resemblance across multiple Sims but I have no idea if it's my mindset or they actually do rollover. I fully understand that if the settings are not identical then all of this is mute but as the Sims improve, so they become more aligned to the real cars, thus clicks up on the soft bump etc, should be relatively uniform across the board. Does the personality of an individual Sim come from the FFB and how intuitively it's implemented, rather than the physics, which in theory, should be of a like?
    While I'm on the physics topic, Kartkraft is on offer so I grabbed a copy for £11.99, have been keeping an eye on it from it's launch and couldn't turn it down at that price. Well if anyone else out there has driven a Kart before then you really should give it a spin, blown away with the FFB and physics. Graphically it gives ACC a good kicking and I'm averaging over 200 fps with an ageing PC, albeit I use a GTX1080 to compensate its age but It's nice to see an impressive implementation of the Unreal engine in a Sim, perhaps Kunos should get in contact.

8. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    For F1 cars i always go back to the base setup of what Geoff Crammonds f1 games were. Because thats where i learnt how to understand reading telemetry. It is my baseline. (This didnt carry over to the Fx90's in raceroom works on the Fx17's)

For every other car i will use the base setup bar 1 exception, toe and camber are all put to as neutral position as possible. This is purely to gain maximum tyre durability information. Asap for planning out the rest of the weekend.

Carrying over setups i actually was surprised when i found my old GP4 setups transfered perfectly over to Dirt 4. But i dont do this for Raceroom. Success rate most racing games i've played setups do transfer over quite well. There is some exceptions to what carrys over though, mainly being aerodynamics and gear ratios. Most people know though that theres gigantic time gains in personalising each gear ratio for each track and setup.

Alex's videos on setups are a goldmine of information of cars and i personally wish some of those notes he made were included in game. Things like this car has ground effects so dont let it bottom out all the time. That info should really be in game somewhere :)