Driving Force GT broken, which new wheel should I get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tobias Schröder, May 10, 2016.

1. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    In the last few weeks my Driving Force GT started to get very warm and after half an hour /forty minutes the force feedback always broke down.
    I am 17 years old and this was my first wheel, and I think this is a good point to move on. I am playing R3E since spring 2015 and started to think about a new wheel quite some time ago, but I have no idea which wheel I should get. Stay with Logitech? And should I get the G27 or the G29? Or maybe a wheel from a different manufacturer? Thrustmaster?

Do you have any suggestions what wheel I should buy now? It should be better than the Driving Force GT because that is always called a "wheel for newcomers", but it also shouldn't be too expensive... 300€ is my limit. Any ideas?

2. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I would go for the T300 wheel, the Alcantara set is a bit more but has the upgraded rim and pedals.
    I bought the normal T300 GTE wheel and added the pedals later because the Alcantara set wan't available at the time.

[​IMG]

The T300 is really good, no gears (like G27/G29) so really smooth FFB. Its also strong. Works in every game too.
    There are also enough upgrades if you buy the standard version, leather rim, f1-rim, shifter, pedals. Logitech doesn't offer that.

Logitech was my go-to brand, but it just can't beat the T300.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I would have to agree with the above post from 'rbn'...as I upgraded from a G27 to a T300RS and it is better in every way. The wheel is wrapped in genuine Alcantara... but from what I have read on few sites is that it tends to wear quite easily where you are holding it....google search it and decide for yourself before purchasing, otherwise the Leather wheel is the one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tobias Schröder

Tobias Schröder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    Due to some reason my wheel started working normal again...
    I still have the plan to get a better one within the next few months.
    Thanks for your answers! I think I will try out the T300 :)

5. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    The Thrustmaster TX package that includes the T3PA pedals and Leather 28 GT rim is also worth a look, same price as the T300 Alcantara package, but with a different rim (might be better if you have small-ish hands like me or just prefer leather) and XBox One/PC compatibility instead of PS4/3/PC compatibility, otherwise pretty much the same.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I have read a gazillion horror stories about t300 breaking in short periods of time I went for the tried and tested t500 after my g29 broke in less than 4 months. Am Super impressed with it. I also got the ferrari f1 wheel and have modded it to an awesome piece of kit now.

7. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    My wheel d-pad stopped working after only 1 week.
    After creating a ticket at Thrustmaster they send me a new rim, so I am pretty pleased at the way they resolved it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Did you buy your Thrustmaster direct from their own online store or through a third party seller? Just wondering as the TX/T3PA/Leather 28 GT pack I'm considering. buying is £400 from the UK Thrustmaster online shop, but I think can be bought for £320 (new) from an Amazon Marketplace seller (Amazon UK don't sell it themselves), but given potential reliability issues, I'm a little concerned about support from Thrustmaster if I don't buy from them or one of the stores they list on their website.

Amazon are usually very good about returns, but am not so sure about 3rd party Amazon Marketplace sellers...

10. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Bought my T300 GTE at an online shop (Redcoon). It was very cheap at that time 249EUR :D
    I could send the whole unit back to the shop but decided to contact Thrustmaster.

11. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Still agonising whether to go for the TX leather 28 GT package or the Logitech G920 - especially as the latter is only £179.99 on Amazon UK currently...

12. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
  13. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that's exactly the Thrustmaster package I've been considering, just a bit concerned about reliability, hence wondering whether worth paying the full price (£399.99 inc delivery in the UK) and getting it direct from the UK Thrustmaster web shop or not - they seem to be the only official vendor for this particular package in the UK.