Driving Style.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr_Mints_Taboo, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    No, not an advert for my new line of Menswear - available at MintyFreshFashions.co.mars. (please don't click - it could go anywhere!)

I am currently walking around with my ass in my hands after being presented it at a recent DTM '92 racemeet.
    This is obviously not ideal for attracting the ladies.
    Please help me readjust it to it's original position (behind me, where I don't have to see it.)

I tend to drive as smoothly as I can, being inspired by Alain Prost and the bloke from the Transporter. In some cars this is a good thing, but watching others hooning it around the track in the DTM '92 with their rear-ends looser than that time I mistook Ex-lax for Yorkie, I wonder.

So, any basic advice for the various cars(Especially the DTM 1992 and WTCC 2017)?
    Feel free to keep it simple - I am not after subtle driving tips.
    Hopefully this thread might help others too.

Thanks in advance.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Winning races is all about driving your car faster than the other cars. The driver of the car that passes the "finish-line" first is called the "winner" of the race. After the race he stands on a slightly raised platform where he is presented with an alcoholic beverage in a giant bottle, which he then proceeds to spray on himself and on some large breasted women who inexplicably stand nearby. I hope this helps.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Squanchy. I'm not exactly sure what it helps with, but I'm sure I am now better equipped to "win" these "races".

Are the size of the breasts related to the car type?

4. Squanchy

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    My banal advice would be, for any class:
    1) Watch videos of good racers from their POV
    2) Try driving without FFB, especially without steering weight. You might find the weight has been keeping your handling too subdued.
    3) Use hood view instead of cockpit.
    4) Don't take risks. Wait for them to make the mistakes. And they will. That works for me in multiplayer, although I've only played casual races, not leagues.
    5) Make sure you take the best racing line, including the widest when entering the turn. That might sound obvious but I often do that mistake, especially after following the AI which often tend not to take the best entrance.

5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I strongly disagree with points 2) and 3) :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Squanchy

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I didn't say they were fun :D, but it might help you get some other perspective.

7. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies, what I was really looking for was something more about the various cars. EG (and this might be completely wrong, so others shouldn't take as gospel!)

DTM 92 : Cars tend to understeer. Need stiffened suspension and Manhandling around bends. Don't ever brake and turn. Stamping on the pedals works well.
    FR-J : Use smooth inputs, especially on exits. Likely to oversteer if overdriven.

Some cars like to roll through some corners (neutral throttle), or are 'momentum' cars.
    When on the edge of spinning, some cars benefit from some throttle, others will kill you if you try it.

That kind of crap......

8. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    As one of the ass-handers who very much enjoyed the attention of the ladies last night after making you and others look silly, I think I can offer advice that's slightly less useless than Squanchy's feeble attempts.

The DTM 92s respond well to harsh treatment, as will you I hope. Don't waste track time farting around with setups, the defaults are generally sound. If you're slow it's because you're sh!t and need to be less sh!t. It's nothing to do with the setup.

Drive the car hard, not smooth. Use lots of throttle, expect to spin up the inside rear a lot and wrestle with the wheel. Brake very hard and ease off the brake a bit as soon as they bite, don't get hung up on doing all your braking in a straight line - if the tail isn't wagging, the car isn't happy.

If the car is understeering on entry, dab the brake or slam the throttle shut, or use a lower gear. If it's understeering on exit you got on the gas too hard too early - feed it in a bit slower from the apex. Be a bit patient picking up the throttle at the apex, but once you start feeding it in don't take it off again - feed it in late enough that you can just keep putting more and more on with out having to back off. This will also get the tail wagging a lot, which is very important if you want to be and look awesome.

These aren't delicate highly strung race thoroughbreds. They're souped up vintage shi!tboxes and should be treated as such

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I think after that, I know how your car felt! :)

But yes, that was exactly what I was looking for!

I can watch all the videos on driving lines and stuff, but they just seem too generic.

So basically, you are saying "Grow a pair, and drive like they want to explode."

10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. Imagine you are me, and think how awesome that must be. Then drive like that ;)

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Our dear crew chief is pretty much spot on, not much to add.

I will add one thing: consider the strengths of each 1992 car and pick from that.
    With the 190, any style will work - the car is just balanced. The M3 is lighter and feels more nimble, but this to me often meant I was overdriving the car to maximize this advantage. The Opel feels like a larger Merc to me. Both oversteer and understeer are more pronounced and you feel the car being heavier. A smoother driving style worked best for me - slow corners can be a pain.
    Both the Mustang and Audi I rarely drive. I liked the Audi when the pack was released but the braking distances are incredibly bad and there's only a few tracks for it to use the power. The 4WD is great for the slow corners but that's countered by the braking distances. In the fast corners it loses out so I don't really find the point to it. Maybe if there was rain... :)

tl;dr - Take the Merc and drive it like ya stole it. (except at Nords, use the top speed cars there)

12. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Understeer with DTM 92, how? :eek:
    I love this cars for the oversteering, I don't remember having understeering with them. And like @mr_belowski I would recommend to use it instead of avoiding it, oversteering in all turns, that's how they want to be driven! :) Break hard, accelerate hard and have fun. ^^

With the FRJ it's the opposite. You want to avoid breaking or accelerating too much in turns, keep the car balanced and be smooth in your movements. Break hard before a turn, take the turn at the best speed with a few gas to maintain it, accelerate lately and progressively at turn exit. Car has very few downforce so it looses grip easy if you accelerate too earlier.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    DTM 92, using clutch and autoclutch off is actually faster cause there is an inbuilt delay in the shifting process if you use paddle shift. It's still possible to be very competitive without using clutch though. The tyres have pretty big slip angle so you can get away with a lot of slides. But it kills your tyres of course.

WTCC, always apply a little bit of throttle to stabilize the car. Careful with the brakes, the car gets really loose on rear, maybe move bias a bit forward. It's FWD so you will feel like turning and accelerating hard at the same time on the exit will make you faster but it will completely destroy your tyres so you need to find a middle ground here. If you feel the rear is coming, don't lift off, instead go harder on the throttle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    DTM 92/Classic touring cars: Set a longer gear ratio and try to avoid using 1st and 6th gear as much as possible, because shifting is really slow in those cars and only three upshifts will improve your acceleration and top speed

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the replies, that was exactly the sort of stuff I was after. (Well, apart from mr_belowski grabbing me by the scruff of the neck and shaking me until I cried! :))
    I tried driving like him last night, and despite a general apathy to everything, I still shaved a second off my Oscherslebenshire time. Only 4 more to go! Hopefully once I get back in the zone, I can be more Jim.

Robert, probably good advice about the clutch, but I don't think its little delay is going to slow me very much. "It's still possible to be very competitive without using clutch though. "
    I'm not aiming for "very competitive", more realistic would be "less sh!t" as noted above. ;)

Once again, Thanks all!

16. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I'm far from the fastest driver, but I tend to love these older RWD cars like DTM 92 or Group 5 because you drive them quite similarly to rally cars I feel. You don't want to overdo it, obviously, but the general approach to corners seems to be very similar in that you kinda throw them at corners and almost powerslide out of them.

17. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    a turn has 3 moment. entry, apex, exit

this "Cars tend to understeer." means nothing. the question is "when?"

inside the "when" there is the first and the largest step to be faster. ;)

18. Simon Fillingham

Simon Fillingham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    Setup / Oversteer / Understeer...

Don't complicate it Mart by worrying about these. Not in DTM'92 anyhow.

There are very few fast lines around a track, and many slow lines. When you think you've found the fastest line, unless your quite close to the best leaderboard time, you are still on a slow line.
    Its all about balance of the car, and using your throttle and brake pedal to create this balance. A correctly balanced car will let you corner so much faster than a car that has its weight at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    And it's Gotta be smooth transition of weight. Not brake, coast, turn, gas, turn coast, brake, turn & gas. All you need is 1 smooth sequence of brake, turn & gas. Hopefully you're playing with a wheel and pedals? As pedals will help regulate the pressure you apply on throttle and brake thus creating the perfect balance.

19. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I remember racing in 07 not too long ago against two guys who were friends, fast and both claimed to be using default setups cause the default is good enough, at least one of them was lying, one could fly out of the corners and the other had better top end, the same default but different, i edited my setup and beat them both so obviously the default wasnt good enough, or as i prefer it, im just ace ;)
    The 92`s you might be shit slow cause you are shit slow, true, but i bet if you fart around with your setup and throw your car around like it was meant to be thrown around you will be faster than if you left it default setup and throw it around like it was meant to be thrown around, some tracks require longer\shorter gear ratio, some with little\lots of curb use require harder/softer suspension, but that is in a game where setups matter.............
    Just driving harder with defaults in any car will make you faster but the time will come when you start asking why you lose a 10th here n a 10th there, well if i tighten that corner up a smidgeon............and so it begins, the physics if i remember rightly are the same across the board for each class but gearing\bump\rebound\ and the rest are driver dependant and how you set them decides how the car behaves on each individual track, there are way too many variables, from the hardware to the setup you are using all have an impact.
    Drive hard and adjust to suit, you will find your balance and what makes you faster and comfortable with it.
    Dont really matter tho......just have fun!

20. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Update.
    I almost gave up on the DTMs.
    They just won't wiggle their asses for me.

Last night, I went back to the default setting and tried a couple of races.
    Still not getting the power drift feel - do you guys use a handbrake?:)
    But it was a lot more fun, so deep-hole funk averted.

Part of the problem** may be having too little sensitivity on my T300 wheel*** - in iRacing, a quarter turn in either direction is all I need to coax the MX-5 around the track. With R3E and the Merc 190, I am turning the wheel over 180 degrees in some turns. I couldn't find a setting to reduce this. (HELP!!!) (So my weedy arms can move the wheel a bit quicker:p)
    Something like my brake pedal having a 75% upper deadzone (it has a skateboard rubber mod).

Back to the track tonight for more experimentation (not practise, as I really don't need to practise being slow).

**The main part is still me, I accept that.
    *** Not a keyboard, Simon, despite what my lap times might suggest!:)

Now that part I can manage!

I am aware that I am on the raggedy edge of sounding like a whiner - but despite being as slow as sh...err, me, I really enjoy the racing on R3E. I just wish I could enjoy it at a slightly higher speed! :)

Side note : my "racing" chair came from a supermarket delivery van (very comfy, but with a worrying stain or two!) I think it's pretty cool. (Well, quirky at the least!)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017