Resolved DTM 2020 - DRS slows the car

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Lixma, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Something is going screwy with the DTM 2020 physics. I have an Audi setup that's good for 2.03 qualy at Spa, 2.04/5 race pace, but since the update it's like I'm driving a brick through a hurricane. My top speed on the Kemmel straight has dropped from 280+ to barely 270, the car bogs down heavily in Eau Rouge, there is a persistent 'scraping' noise over 200kp/h (that doesn't go away even if I jack the suspension to it's highest), and last but not least - DRS is actually slowing the car down.

Watch the speed as I activate DRS at 270.

I took the identical Spa setup to Daytona Oval. See how much the speed drops during the turns, and again the DRS is seemingly reversed (1:22 & 2:20)

I've attached the setup in case it's helpful. I've used a version of it for around a year with no problems, but since the update it's awful. I don't know if the BMWs are experiencing the same weirdness.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    At Spa in the closing laps I might as well be driving a bus.

Left side - 255kph no DRS, right side one lap later 240kph DRS open, and I'm a road block.

[​IMG]

3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Raise the front end 5mm

4. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    They changed something. Lowered the front end by 5mm so setups won’t fit anymore.
    Only lifting front will reduce the pressure for downforce.

5. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    In this video the ghost is not using DRS. Watch what happens when I activate DRS on the straight. The car stops accelerating and the ghost starts pulling away. DRS is acting like a parachute.

Garage shows ride height 6.5 - 9.0.

6. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Bono my DRS is broken!

7. rubenbatista

rubenbatista Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This car is definitely very sensitive for bottoming out, just raised the car 2mm in Suzuka (my old setup had very low ride height) and gained like 6 km/h in top speed.

8. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If you rise 5mm at front, you need to rise also on the back to have the same rake. And if the car is higher the balance of the car is worser as it is lower. All in our community are now 1- 1,5 Sekunds slower as before. The splitter should be set back to the old high. And DRS is currently useless, with DRS are slower as without

9. Sheik

Sheik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Adjusting the height is not helpful for me. It is like Lixma and Joe said, the car is slower than before. When i open DRS it feels like i have a parachute in the back. Hope this will be fixed soon!

10. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I have just done a test.
    I even made the car 1 cm higher. Adjusted the rear accordingly.
    This also causes the same problem. With DRS you are only minimally faster. On the camel straight 2 hundredths. That's nothing. But no one drives that high, because you are slower overall.

The leaderboard times should definitely be deleted. I have so much experience with the DTMs 2020 that I can say quite clearly that the cars are slower now.
    My racepace (without DRS and PTP) was previously mid to sub 2:03s with 60 litres. Now overall a bit more than a second slower.
    With my old low setup, I also ride just as fast. I'm slower on the straights, but faster in the corners.

Regarding the DRS, it can be said that it didn't work well before.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just did another test with a lower rake:
    With this, the DRS has an effect, but the balance of the car is then broken.
    Undriveable

11. anylogic

anylogic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dear all,

I also confirm that DTM2020 physics are not the same like before the update. As nothing in this regard is mentioned in the changelog this seems somehow weird.

Okay maybe all my setups are just crap. But I've never seen a (real) car that gets slower when DRS gets enabled. This is strange. Pls investigate. Pls give us our beloved DTM2020s back.

Kindest regards
    Lars

PS: 147.409km, 5050 laps in RR

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  12. Uluru

Uluru New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So I am not alone!
    I had tested different sims and different cars.
    Since I first drove the DTM2020 series in RaceRoom I never went to another sim or car!

Since the update I‘ve been very slow because the car is scratching the ground all the time. So I adjusted the height to avoid this.
    Now the car is really instable in the corners, so that I am struggling where I‘ve never struggled before the update.

I‘m not happy with the changes and would appreciate to get back to the old physics/setup.

Daniel

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  13. GenMjr_GPL

GenMjr_GPL New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Same Issue for me. DRS Makes no sense. Increase ride height by minimum 5mm means complete different bahaviour of the car. Please fix it!

14. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The different handling is not the problem. They are even more fun than before because they can be driven more dynamically. The drs is the problem.

15. anylogic

anylogic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Pape78 already mentioned it: all the old DTM2020 leaderboard times should be deleted, as same setup and same driving will not result in same times.

16. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    DRS is working just fine for me in DTM 2020. Ride Heights were 70/90 in garage, and 62.9/69.6 dynamic, with rake of 6.7. DF was 6245/6132. Rear wing was 9 Springs were 170/150. CoP was 49.6

17. Speedo

Speedo Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Why?
    What exactly did you change?

Even previously to this change DRS was not working really well.
    It was very sensitive to ride height and rake (as DRS dynamically increases rake (->+drag) and pulls the car's front down (->bottoming out)).

But now it's completely useless.
    Increasing car's height by 5mm is not really an option as this would have negative impact to car handling and aerodynamic downforce. Thus I need to go for a much more aggressive compromise between handling+downforce vs. DRS.
    Leaving me with an DRS without any use...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Also experiencing this issue. 70mm+ front ride height is a workaround rather than a fix as the car then has constant understeer, and it is an unrealistic ride height for a car of this cornering speed.

Logically it probably means the front of the car is hitting the ground when DRS is activated as the rear loses downforce, but the rake increase seems greatly exaggerated.

I went back to the 2016 DTM cars and they seem fine with DRS even on much lower ride height, so I'll wait for this to get fixed on the 2020 cars.

19. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Didn't have to wait long at all - thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    With the update from 10.07 the DRS Issue is solved, but the splitter feeler issue is still there and now the car have less power, as example in SPA at Kemmel Straight, only 273 kmh instead of 283 and the lap time is now 2.5 Seconds slower as before the last update and 3.5 before the June update.