Resolved DTM 2020 - DRS slows the car

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Lixma, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Is Current a Ranked Race upload_2021-7-26_12-44-18.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    No. The default setup is intended for the very smooth circuits they run at in the real world.

See answer above.

Same answer again but also damping rates are high to cope with high vertical loads. If you've maxed out the ride height there's a good chance that the ground clearance becomes too great over crests and switches off the underbody aero.

It most likely still is bottoming out. I wouldn't expect that you can make a setup where it doesn't. The real cars run consumable rubbing strips at certain parts of the body which are routinely replaced because they see regular ground contact.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  3. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Well it's the same for everybody

4. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Which front high do you recomment that we not touch the ground, 75 mm is allready high for DTM2020 car

5. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    It's not a problem if it touches the ground ever so often.

6. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am confused, before you write the issue is that the car touch the ground, then you write it is no issue that the car touch the ground

7. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Quote what I said and I'll explain it.

8. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Here you say that the loose of the speed, is becasue of touching the ground

Here you say it is no issue that the car touch the ground

9. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I said it's something you just have to live with - I wouldn't expect that you can make a setup where it doesn't.

10. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The main Issue is, that since the Update the cars touching the ground more often as before and you can increase the high of the car which has a negative impact of the handling.

The car can touch the ground, but i thing it is not realistic how much speed the car loos in this case.

And it is not realistic that you loos during a race a Top speed of 15 km/h.

11. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Also, u
    So to avoid these problems, I would have to make the cars so high that they drive like crap. With bumpers in the setup menu you could fix that. But Raceroom has not. Is that coming?

I hereby invite you to join us at the next Raido community race in Zolder. Date: 06.08.2021
    Then you can show me with your setup skills the taillights:)

12. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    As I said, it's basically unavoidable, you have to come up with a compromise.

13. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
  14. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    alot can be gained here with arb and shock tuning. but they they need to be raised more than you'd think, as is theres too much rake, you can imagine a slight rake shift while rear wing goes up and down but the front is being forced in harder and harder the faster it goes. also under compression the front is stalling so the rear diffuser is doing something between jack shit and bugger all. chase the shocks in these cars at spa, give the front more resistance so they can put alot more fight against that front splitter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just what id be doing
    they have more than enough aero for spa, if you feel a bit skittish around poohon get the tires to work harder
    also, nords [​IMG]

15. Pape78

Pape78 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Without Slipstream.
    Mission Impossible im R3E. By far

@bubblejohns
    I have tried now a dozen rake variations. ARB and springs completly hard. Unrealistic high tire pressure. And I don't even come close to this 295kmh. I reached max 284 kmh with a dragstersetup. Not really drivable. But only if you push the PTP Button at the end of the straight. Otherwise the engine dont have the power. And I do not assume that the drivers have done so. This is pressed at the beginning of a straight.

And a fast setup that you can also use in corners:), comes to barely 280 kmh.

16. anylogic

anylogic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dear Sector3 Team,

It seems that setups become the crucial part to really enjoy the DTM2020s and to get physical behavior that at least somehow matches reality.

While there are pro drivers that spend 40h+ a week for racing and setup work, I assume the 80% customer base comprises of semipro and amateur drivers.

For exactly this customers, could you please provide a setup DLC (eg with hidden parameters), allowing to properly use the DTM2020s immediately, without the need to invest a huge amount of time for setup fiddling?

Kindest regards
    Doc Anylogic

17. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    You are quite correct that the DTM 2020 cars are quite sensitive to set up. Particularly rake angle and it's effect on overall downforce and top speed as well as using spring rates to dynamically change rake with speed.

However, that behaviour is not specific to DTM 2020. All of our cars with large underbody aero tunnels exhibit this sensitivity to certain degrees. That includes almost all of our GT3s, FR2, FR3, Group C, Hillclimb, the ID.R, etc. It becomes more obvious with cars which generate a greater proportion of their downforce by underbody tunnels. So Group C cars are a lot more responsive in this respect.

When adjusting setup on these cars, these are the rules to follow:

• The greater the rake, the greater the downforce, but that also increases drag.
    • The closer the car runs to the ground, the more downforce is produced and drag also reduces.
    However,
    • Running too close to the ground can block off air flow to the underbody tunnels and switch off the downforce.
    See also porpoising and third springs (although these were outlawed in DTM from ~2019).

Have fun!

18. anylogic

anylogic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My bid is 1000 VRP for a Setup DLC

19. anylogic

anylogic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    BTW.. I wonder what do Audi and BMW representatives say to the fact that by just running default setups on any track let their DTM2020 cars behave strange eg in terms of vmax compared to everything known from onboard clips....

20. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Considering the lift and drag values are absolutely bang-on the baseline numbers supplied by the series chief engineer, I'd say we're good.