Released DTM 2020

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Georg Ortner, Aug 21, 2020.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Coming back to the GT3 class, after driving the 2020 DTM is actually the perfect example for me personally right now. The DTM is just a starfighter in agility and braking points, compared to a sluggish M6 GT3 and i start to brake way too late and try to take some corners full flat by habit. Everything is out of proportion... :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Imo sim racing is a lot of focused practice and to be able to replicate the same movements precise.

It is probably mostly ride height. I tested a couple minutes with ride height and wing. Decreased front to 6cm, rear 8 cm and wing to 15. Instantly more than a second faster. The car has more front grip and is faster on straights. The car is also easier to catch if the rear steps out.
    Too bad you cannot see on leaderboard the setups but it is understable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skev

Skev Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    And these DTM 2020 cars are testament to that. They are some of the finest cars I've driven in any sim. They are both dangerous and utter joy to throw around these virtual tracks. Top job I say!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see a bit of RRE representation here:

• Like Like x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm you'd think so but as an example, all the Honda riders in MotoGP have access to Marc Marques' data and according to Cal Crutchlow, it's all pure gobbldygook, he apparently does things that are uncopyable. Then on the other foot, Nakagami has improved dramatically since getting a good look.
    I think it's solely down to some people having the ability to break down every component of a lap in the finest detail, brake at the very latest possible, use every inch of track (and some) and repeat, faultlessly, however many times necessary. All about the finer details and lets face it the majority of us couldn't be arsed to put the time in.
    All together now! Dedication, wahoho dedication, dedication, that's what you need, if you wanna be the best and you wanna beat the reeeest, dedications what you need! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson

I read in a YT comment, the Audi and BMW are on the same identical physics (so driving dynamics and behaviour, basically the same car)? Can you confirm this to be true?

The BMW is more direct and better on the brakes at rotating it in here, for example. The Audi behaves more "gradual".
    No placebo, even my laptimes with the cars vary.

I have to push the BMW more than the Audi in general :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  7. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I read the same thing about the WTCR somewhere.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    And it's confirmed to be not true, that WTCR cars are all identical in driving model. They wouldn't need any BoP, if so... (Of course they all run on same newer physics, but they are still different cars among each other)

Also DTM is not a Spec series, but a regulated development series, if i'm not absolutely and totally wrong. Why would it be such an extremely expensive task for manufacturers to develop a prototype like the DTM cars, if they are all the same?:confused:

That's why i'm thinking, someone again confused "same physics" with "identical car". (The comment said Audi=BMW, which i just can't quite believe at all, but i'm also not aware of what could still cause differences if they really would be the same car, so maybe i'm totally wrong here)

btw. @ravey1981 may i ask, what is the funny part about the question? ^^'

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  9. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    It's wrong then.

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Touché :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kierownik

Kierownik New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Any chance of updating realistic AI driver performance? Just a small thing that would improve immersion in single player a lot. Sometimes it's spot on but often the results are just random :tongueout:

• Like Like x 1
  12. MikeCurran33

MikeCurran33 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have a problem with brakes and throttle in the game which becomes most evident in DTM cars as its impossible to overcome? Brakes lock instantly and throttle is like a switch.... I have tried everything and cant fix. I have Thrustmaster TX base, Open racing wheel and T3PA Pro pedals. Any help would be much appreciated!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    They are a handful to drive indeed.:eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Nope. My throttle and brake work fine in R3E, including with the DTM 2020's. It sounds like some kind issue on your end, bad settings in the game or something. Maybe post the issue and your current settings in the community support forum?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Throttle response has been discussed in pages 8 and 9 though, and Alex said there should be a patch... or maybe i got that wrong ?? I didn't buy these cars yet, first i want to be 100% sure that everything is working correctly

16. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The throttle map etc isn't broken it's just not optimised right now. Still very drivable. Brakes will lock because they are very powerful with no abs. Treat this car like a formula or LMP prototype rather than a gt or touring car, despite what it may look like on the outside.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    As i wrote few posts back, the throttle curve is broken. When the top 50% of the torque is controlled by 20% of the top throttle range - to me its means broken. And as i wrote, for comparison in DTM2016 its 50% torque to 50% throttle.
    For the brakes - yes, no ABS makes it harder to avoid wheel lock, but I find it is more because of the down-shifts that causing it, which makes sense. So down-shifting late make it much less prominent to wheel locks (as it was with the Porsche GT3 cup IIRC)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. memoNo1

memoNo1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0

+1
    This is one of the big keys to handle this beautys.
    And dont forget to counter steer.

One possibility that I myself am considering is to fix a brick to the right ankle with a cable tie. :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  19. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You are assuming that engine torque is directly proportional throttle position, that's incorrect. A throttle is not a torque selector. Throttle position only affects how much fuel and air is pushed into the engine. Once you add in a turbo that further complicates things. Engine torque will never be linear to throttle position, it doesn't work like that. In any car the top end of the throttle travel is what matters, try it in your real car, at low - mid throttle nothing really happens, only when you push further into the pedal does the engine respond and the car accelerate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I have the T500 with the same pedals, pedal settings are default. Do not use the pedals like on off switch. Apply throttle gentle especially if your wheel is not perfectly centered. While breaking release the brake pretty early.

You will pretty fast notice how much throttle / brake input is allowed as the tires get worse. I also need a couple laps to get used to if I switch from GT3 / GT4

PS. try it in leaderboards, the tires and brakes are always perfect.

• Like Like x 1