DTM 92 - Ford set up for better nimbleness (if possible)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RWB 3vil, Jan 16, 2019.

1. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Our club has recently started a Tuesday night DTM 92 mini league. I made the mistake ( found out during the first race) of choosing the Ford Mustang. First race was Saschenring. What a nightmare it was driving this around that track. Next race is Hungaroring.

Any one got any set up tips for this beast as the first race it was a slow big fat arse sliding nightmare. Fun car to drive though, its just no where near as nimble as the other cars especially on tight tracks.

Thanks

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I think it is a tank that slides everywhere at corners, overtakes everyone at straights and keeps everyone behind by being too sideways to anyone get past it easily, not really sure how much setup could help.

Oh, forgot to mention, if you want I can build setup, but you need to give some feedback and I probably need to adjust few times to get it where you want it to be.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Might help putting the brake bias a tad more to the front and and a couple more positive degrees of toe in on rear if its loose or unstable under braking.

4. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Its not that part that was a nightmare. Its the slow weight transfer and sluggish steering compared to the rest of the field. You switch from corner to corner and the response is much slower than the rest ( wallows) and you can feel that your still in a sluggish weight transition whilst the cars behind are already tyre load balanced and on the throttle.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    hopefully your series will have some power tracks .......

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Then you need more slow damping and possible ARB/springs, but depends how much grip you can loose to more direct control.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    That's just the Mustang's handling, its a straight line car. :) 2 nice comparison videos below which highlights the 94 Mustang's cornering ability versus something like a more agile Mercedes. Just watch the Mustang take the hairpin, then jump over to the other video and you should see the difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I will tinker with Slow Bumps some Toe and roll bars and yes @Andi Goodwin Red Bull Ring and Monza are 3rd and 4th so hopefully Ill shine there.

Thanks all

9. [RWB] FxUK

[RWB] FxUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Please only give bad advice :D

joking, of course.

10. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Like setting really tall gearing to gain more grip? He would probably fly even with 3 gears :p

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    You will be glad to know I took absolutely no notice of the advice given here. I also did not load up the next track in the DTM 92 league to get some practice. I also did not try various options. I absolutely did not add stiffer bumps ARB and springs and re work the steering ratio to match perfectly, the bump in the tight chicane.

I will utterly deny any involvement in this practicing lark whatsoever. I was not here, at all. I am still very slow around here. I will be really bad on this round of the DTM league

*stops swinging gold pocket watch @ FX*

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019