Bug Duplicate lap times by different drivers are ordered incorrectly

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by DanFraser, Jun 24, 2020.

1. DanFraser

DanFraser New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately I forgot to record the stream showing this but it's pretty straightforward.

I matched the time of another driver (GTR3 at Norisring) and was placed above the other driver who had set the time first.

Of course timings in the real world currently track to 10,000ths but only display thousandths and this is still the metric on which timings are recorded and organised. The digits past the thousandth should be ignored or discarded and the time order the lap is set should be in order of making that lap time. It should be pointed out tracking to ten-thousandths is crazy accurate and quite unnecessary as one thousandth of a second at 150mp/h (240km/h) is 6 centimetres!

A great real world example of the timing order is Jerez 1997 qualifying where Frentzen quipped they do track to the fourth decimal but clearly don't actually use it! I can't post links as this is my first post but googling "autosport atlasf1 the art of timing" and "wikipedia Jerez 1997" (and reading the qualifying portion of the wikipedia page) gives plenty of information.

• Informative Informative x 1