"Easier" free cars ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jo Ré Ta Po, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hello !

I'm trying to get a friend into the game, but as I was giving him advice, I had to warn him about one thing : the free cars available from the start are not the easiest to drive (IMHO at least, last time I checked I was still struggling at their wheel), very powerful and prone to spin (well, maybe it's just me and I suck :p).

I know you can try any car for free but don't you think it could be more fun for beginners to race (and not only test) less extreme, lower-power cars to get used to the game and hopefully get hooked ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GearGrinder

GearGrinder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    IMHO it isn't the cars as much as it is the players (get real) car setup and wheel settings.

3. Jay Ekkel

Jay Ekkel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    its on our (slightly long) to do list, to introduce some easier accessible cars for the platform.

• Like Like x 5
  4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    formula ford or similar would be a good choice because it teaches new players to
    1. not cut the curbs too much.
    2. be very careful about contact (as you'll tend to lose your wheels).
    3.consistency over speed because the fastest lines when taken in a small open wheeler tend to get very sketchy so it is often better to cut that chicane a but less.

if everyone learnt r3e with these the racing would most likely get cleaner though out the game

• Like Like x 2
  5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yes i agree. The yellow sillouette car especially was tough at first. Need a free touring classic (first car i bought) or something.

6. Stiggy

Stiggy Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Some entry-level one make series would make good free content, such as Mini Challenge, Formula Ford, Clio Cup, Ginetta Juniors, Aussie Racing Cars, etc.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    omg yes Aussie Racing Cars sooo much slipstream

s3e make this happen they are little Suzuki motorbike driven cars made to look like cartoon(y) versions of other cars which means you can have fun and make whatever you want and all the cars are 99% identical the only setup option given to the teams is tire pressure the aero can be adjusted but the setting is given to the stewards (who normally pick max for more slipstream).

ps in the actual races there is two or three engine packages so you tend to see two or three little packs develop

8. Jay Ekkel

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    pics or it didnt happen!

9. Stiggy

Stiggy Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
  10. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    And the amount of them!!! I did not knew about these. Great stuff

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Immediately the P45 came into my mind
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  13. Jay Ekkel

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    haha love the looks and sounds of those cars, but those cars don't look particularly "easy to drive" to get into the game or?

14. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I posted about this maybe a week ago, and I suggested the Caterham CSR 200, as in Race07. That was a great little runabout to learn tracks in, as well as being capable of seriously hot lapping. That little puppy would get my vote for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  15. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    no there not very easy but they have a few advantages that could be useful for new races

1- tiny, on some tracks these cars go 4 wide so plenty of opportunity to catch a mistake.
    2- zero curb tolerance, anyone trying to cut will have trouble.
    3- high draft, a bit slower? no problem just sit behind and you will be sure to catch up.
    4- few setup options, new drivers will be driving essentially the same car as the more experienced ones.
    5- lots of looks but identical hardware, who good looking racing (and my favorite livery (svg's VIP Petfoods)).

• Like Like x 1
  16. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    "Like angry ants on steroids" :D

17. Dgr

Dgr Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I think it would really help with 'new player' retention if there was more free car choice (and free tracks! doesnt need to be loads, just 2-3 to provide a bit of variety).

If you look at Iracing etc you have a good set of cars that cater for most people (letting you get really interested in the game) and then you can purchase other stuff. It would make it a much easier prospect to buy packs if you already had a month or so of interesting racing and got really into it.

18. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know S3 are working on the Audi TT Cup car (starting this year as DTM support) to be included as an "easier" starting point.Nonetheless that Aussie racing cars look really interesting and it could be great fun around Monza or Spa and Nordschleife when they get added.

19. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    they'd hardly have enough fuel to complete Nordschleife lol

20. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Where did you read this?