"Easier" free cars ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jo Ré Ta Po, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, last time I checked it was either Minis, Audis, Caterhams or Volkswagen thingies, but I can't remember which one was confirmed.

2. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    It was posted in a poll a few months prior here.

3. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    How about Fourmula E?
    Two birds with one stone, you'll make some Open wheel fans pleased as well! :D

Can't someone step up and give those poor guys a push.. . :p:tearsofjoy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Why not these?

Attached Files:

5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well yes Jo Ré has a point - up to this day when entering "free"races @RR or Portimao (which I like to join from time to time) you can count on half of the grid already spinning/crashing at the start or at T 1 latest....and not every f2p novice is a crash pilot (on purpose) automatically...I also would appreciate a Series like Minis for easy, more relaxed races with those "learners" (and experienced m8s too)...;)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I am just wondering, would it be possible to offer a free car for every main class? Like a free car for popular classes such as GTR2, WTCC, DTM92 and so on?

7. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That's a decent idea cheeseman, and would probably make a lot of people happy. Not only that, if there were a car free in more of the classes, I would expect the overall population of the MP servers and even single player to shoot way up.

However, just by the virtue of the nature of this game, I dont see that happening or being very fruitful. I am of course talking about being free to play. I am fine with this model when the content backs it up, and doesnt gouge you if you want to enjoy it.

Just imagine for a moment... If there were many more classes that had a free car, there would be many more people using them. The people using them may or may not have had them before. I would venture on the side of not having them before. Much like the free content currently, the overall quality of MP servers varies greatly. Some people are quite competent and good. While others are either new to the genre all together, new to R3E and using the free content as a trial, or the worst... use the free content to troll.

There are a handful of people on the free servers that just straight up troll and wreck because they can. Much like A. Senna that was mentioned in other threads, this sort of thing would then be brought to the more 'premier classes' if you will, currently tucked away for paying customers behind a small paywall.

I know I would hate to see a bunch of wreckers invade otherwise good servers with competitive players looking to race hard and enjoy their time.

That small paywall really is a deterrent, and I think for the better. I dont see trolls looking to spend money now, to have a car from every class, just so they can troll people online.

If that paywall were gone, I think a lot of the long time players and most diehard fans of the game would become upset that the quality of racing declined.

This may be a cynical interpretation of what could happen, but I dont have much doubt that the trolls would then feel like they had free reign to disrupt the peace :p

Im all for having either a different set of free cars just to switch things up, or add another one that is easy to drive, like a touring classics. I dont see those utilized all that much in MP, so it may be a way to bring more life to that class.

As for easy cars that are currently free... Hmm, all 5 are pretty fast and 4 of the 5 are quite tough to get down. Really, the only "easy" car might just be the Saleen. When played on "amateur" physics, it's quite easy to drive. Just be mindful that the brakes arent super strong. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. tiagosousagarcia

tiagosousagarcia Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I find the Hillclimb Icons quite easy to control in regular tracks. The monster amount of downforce helps to keep the power of the engine in check. I joined a MP race at Portimao yesterday briefly (something crashed on my computer and I had to restart it) and was surprised at how fast I was straight away, never having driven that particular track/car combination (though Portimao is my best track by miles). Admittedly, I was also driving the paid Carlsson SLK, not the free Judd, and have no idea how the cars differ.

Regarding @Cheeseman suggestion, I partially agree with @nate, as I think having a small paywall helps keeping the purposeful wreckers away (though unfortunately also the newcomers to the game). Furthermore, having a car from every class would sort of defeat Sector3's business model, no? As in, speaking for myself, I only have one car for each of the classes that I don't race that often (I'm usually to be found with a WTCC, DTM92 and the newer versions, or GT2), and even that only after that wonderful Easter sale.

That being said, I would still be quite fond of having a nice Mini class for care-free racing and track recognition :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Just to expand on @Cheeseman s idea a little, why not make one car from each class (not all at the same time) (in addition to the current free cars) freeto use each month?
    So say, next month the additional free to use car is the DTM 92 BMW, the following moth that is unavailable again but the G5 Silvia is made available etc etc.
    Promotes each class and allows new players to get more involved, could maybe even do the same with an additional track each month?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tiagosousagarcia

tiagosousagarcia Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    That's a great thought @Ronin_GTDave, though I'm not sure how feasible it would be. Also, I guess the free competitions already fulfil the showcasing aims, both for car and track purposes...

11. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    True, but there is no substitute for testing a car properly, than racing, even better, racing with your mates online. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    @nate, you have some really good points against my free cars suggestion which I do agree with it. The quality of public racing in R3E is considerably good compared to many racing games in the market, this unique trait in R3E has to be retained as I know R3E is fairly famous for that.

Instead of offering a car from a car class to be free, why not we introduce new junior classes into the game that is similar to Miata cup, Aussie Race Cars or Clio cups for beginners as free content? The existing content should have the same paywall we have now. I just hope the price of the content does not go up further as I think the GTR2 pack is a little bit more expensive than most other packs.

Personally, I think R3E will be gaining popularity as time goes, considering the game offers some unique content such as DTM, 1992 DTM, WTCC and upcoming Group 5 packs. I admit I used to play R3E occasionally for its ADAC content but now, I am playing the game fairly frequently after the Group 5 physics update. The Flying Brick is additively fun to drive!