Bug Engine oil & water temps always very low

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by mr_belowski, Jul 2, 2015.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Ayup,

I've added engine oil and water temperature monitoring to my little pit radio app and have noticed some strange values for the oil and water temperatures.

Oil temps are typically 1 or 2 units (I'm assuming Celsius) higher than water temps. Typical temps while racing in the sim tend to be mid - high 50s, with some in-traffic running this creeps up to the mid 60s. To get it into the 70s you have to really try. Any higher requires you to sit by the side of the road bouncing off the rev limiter. Doing this I've been able to get the oil to 110 without blowing up (I got bored). With temps in the 80s, by the end of a single lap at racing speed they're back into the 60s.

I think the cool down effect of the radiator is the underlying issue here - it's far too strong. This keeps the normal running temps too close to ambient temp, and also makes high temperatures come down too fast (particularly the oil). The oil temp does lag behind the water temp, which is correct, but I think it should lag more (i.e. it should take longer for the oil to cool) and the oil should heat up more relative to the water.

I'd expect to be seeing water temperatures in the 80s for 'normal' running, with this getting well into the 90s or 100s in traffic. The oil temps should be 100+, maybe hitting 125 or more when the water's also hot.

I see this incorrect behaviour for the DTM 2014 cars and the ADAC 2014 cars, and it seemed consistent.

[edit]. The WTCC 2014 Honda and the G5 Monza behave the same as the DTM 2014 and ADAC cars, but the prototype DPD and the DTM 92 BMW get hotter and cool more slowly (temps are in the high 60s while racing). The GT2 Ruf runs cooler - temps in the 40s. So I guess the cars do have different 'sized' radiators, but the numbers still aren't right

I've fudged it in my pit radio app and used unrealistically low warning thresholds just so the warnings trigger from time to time, but it'd be nice to see more realistic temperatures while racing :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    After installing DashmeterPro I noticed water and oil temperature being way too low. I can barely get it to about 60°.
    But since it has been reported several months ago, I guess it will not change ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    several months for s3 == 2 days irl. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. AriBo

AriBo Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0