Equipment ... anything which made you faster ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stef van Remy, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    There's also this free ebook by Ross Bentley.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    And another thing that I see (this is true for all the sims I have been in so far) ... mostly on the public servers but also in the private servers. People tend to practice HOTLAPS :rolleyes: Only trying to make that perfect "one lap" with minimum of fuel that puts them ahead of everyone else for that session. Instead of using the traffic and the time to hone there "race craft" together with traffic. (we practice together but race against each other) It's good if you do it occasionally to see if you have Q pace or to see that the car behaves okay with low fuel, but I get so frustrated when I see a person that you think can hold his pace in a race (because his way ahead of you in Q) but in a race he swerves and have such a hard time to keep the car on track/race line cleanly for more than 1 or 2 laps with traffic behind chasing. So be more self-critical to why you practice. Is it for 1-2 or maybe 3 laps or is it to be the *WWCD in a +20-30 lap race.

*Winner Winner Chicken Dinner :D

3. Stef van Remy

Stef van Remy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So one last thing...

As I do have now Fanatec V3 pedals and Thrustmaster Shifter and a seat I know what is all about.

It is all about FUN ! :D

As for the pedals I am blown away. I am far better with braking than before. Worth every cent !

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. alleskleinundzusammen1

alleskleinundzusammen1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I´m actually in this loop of thinking - trying by the moment to improve my lap-times in the AMG competition @ Hungaroring and struggling hard in it.
    By now I´m using a Playseat "Challenge" with a LT G920 and think to have a rather good feeling with this set-up.
    Yesterday I tried to play with FFB settings to get that "good feeling" improved for the car and track - and I was not able to bite even a hundredths of a second out of my own personal best laptime - in amateur mode - even by attempting to follow the best amateur in the ranking (2s faster than me) was useless - can´t close the gap in any attempt within 3 hours of driving...
    So I´m wondering if my pedals don´t give me the right feeling at braking. I guess I brake to hard or not enough in front of corners. So I´m thinking that my pedals don´t give me the right feeling...
    Can I use the Logitech G920 with different pedals - i.e. FANATEC?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I don't see why you couldn't!

6. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    A235E265-1EAD-490C-8937-29D21EDAD798.jpeg

For me the single biggest win in upgrades was pedals. Going from thrustmaster to fanatec wheel base gave me better feel and understanding as well as making pit stops and real time changes possible/good. But not much of a time increase on a hot lap.

But pedals sure did. Modulating brake, trail braking, applying nice linear acceleration and the clutch is night and day (where I use to over or under rev due to not knowing the bite point). Simply being able to dive hard in a braking zone without locking up is a big deal.

I’ve owned 5 pedal sets and tried ~9, luckily including HE pros and their ultimates. The first three I owned were all terrible/mostly plastic and rubber junk. The the fanatecs v3 which were a huge leap forward but I disliked the brake (I had their extra piston option and their performance kit - so tried all three variants). The brake throw is so greatly reduced by the performance kit that it feels like a go-kart which is fine for open wheelers maybe but that’s not my preference. The piston addition feels a lot like a real street car, but it’s not consistent. It literally changes pressure as it gets warmer in a session. Last pedals are HPP, simply brilliant. Short of a heel plate made for women’s feet (which I ditched). I found my consistency is often sub .1 seconds from lap to lap, and my name often appears in the top 10 on the leaderboards now.

Nathan

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. alleskleinundzusammen1

alleskleinundzusammen1 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    What I will do now up first is to "mod" my Logitech G920 break-pedal and remove that pcs of rubber that emulates/simulates the "resistance" of a normal breaking pedal... Hope this will aid the awkward feeling of having more breaking force when pushing harder... It will be a new beginning to learn how 2 deal with breaking. I hope to get a better "grip" of how to break by pedal distance instead of pedal pressure...

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec CSP V3 would a nice upgrade if u don’t want to go with high end pedals.
    Using a CSP V3 with Thrusmatster T300rs wheelbase (bottleneck) until simcube DD is here. So yes you can use any pedals with your wheel. Most games accept three USB inputs on the PC.
    (Some old pics...)
    [​IMG]SimRacing Hardware by M-Bimmer, on Flickr
    [​IMG]_Darth_vader_ by M-Bimmer, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  9. Dan1

Dan1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    U guys are making me want to spend money on those Fanatec.
    Im racing right now with the default T300 pedals like those which are in the photo, i find myself very fast, but i know in the braking point i could be a lot faster/more consistent, i find myself struggling a lot in the braking points even when im not slow.

I were doing some comparison between Fanatec CSP V3, ProtoSimTech Pedals, and HE Pro
    This next year im going to have some fun, im already planning my DIY aluminium cockpit to put the Augury OSW (20Nm) i want to buy, and of course a set of good pedals is coming but i dont know which one ^^. Any suggestions?

10. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    If u’re very active in different leagues and planning to invest in high end pedals then the ProtoSimTech PT2 Pedals or Heusinkveld engineering sim pedals pro might be a better choice (since it would be a long term investment as far as i heard).
    It’d be interesting to hear from the guys who currently own the PT2 or HE (& previously owned the V3s)