Question Fading Brakes?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Pfalzdriver, May 24, 2016.

1. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure? And in GT3? GT2? GT1? Group 5? & Audi Le Mans?

[​IMG]
    Maybe 650 ºC it's out of range... Maybe not. You know "BrakeResponseCurve" of this car?

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I know that in general steel disks are considered to be at optimal temperature somewhere between 300 and 700 °C. They can get way hotter, but perform suboptimal then. Ceramic disks run at much higher temps.

I'm pretty sure bout those lower tier cups, they have to run the cars "as they are".
    What's the picture meant to show, that there's airducts? Sure there are, the question is are they allowed to be blanked.

I know in DTM they are allowed to, see section 3.1.2a here: http://www.dtm.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2015-Technical-Regulations.pdf

Most GT3 series use the FIA homologation, and there it says that "No device other than a simple duct is permitted. Ducts are free downstream of the air inlets on the homologated bodywork, in compliance with the present regulations. Installation of ducts must be made without modifying the homologated components" https://www.fia.com/file/37702/download?token=6c-VuAGd
    I'd interpret this section as no blanking allowed. Any data that proves this wrong?

So some series allow blanking, others don't. What I'm asking is how big is the benefit of adding this?

3. Vojvoda

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    In a real car is as easy as change size of brake duct, change bodywork, change location o put simple tape... (as in radiator)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Could be a big improvement if adjusting the setup we can make the brakes will be always in the optimal range atm we don't know (I as minimum) if they are out of range (overheating/overcooling)...

I doubt that the brakes are in the best position in such different circuit like Macau or Monza or maybe not...

4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well what does your telemetry say? ;)
    Yea, of course, they're doing all sorts of things in the various series'. I'm not saying I'd be against tis option as well, I'm just asking is it a major thing we/they should be dealing with at this moment in time?

5. Vojvoda

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    It is not possible to understand the telemetry if we don't know the maximum or minimum recommended...
    Capri@Spielberg.png
    This is a random lap with Zakspeed Capri @ Spielberg, the minimum brake temp is around 130ºC and maximun is 500ºC, IMHO probably we need a brake duct more closer than standard to have less cooling (@ full lap) and greater brake power, I think they are too cool.

It could be an interesting improvement. Get Real!!!

6. F19_CoNa

F19_CoNa Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Just did a race, with the wtcc15 and after 15 min the rear brakes are gone. Looking at the data first rear left died and stopped at 25 C, then left, and the car was just like without brakes, unstoppable. Have not had this with any car before.
    For sure it seems like if you overdo temps for too long time the brake system fails totally.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well they're certainly not overheating. But what makes you say they are too cool, average temp looks ok, max not going above 700. Have you tried and driven differently, more aggressive braking to see if they do perform better?
    Is there any other game that tells you these temps for each car?

That wasn't the question, so would grid girls... Anyway, not gonna start an argument bout what would be nice to have. Stay realistic.

8. F19_CoNa

F19_CoNa Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I get 700 degrees on the fronts, peak temp, and back I get 450-500.
    After a while they fail totally. As you say, others in the same race does not seem to have the same issue, so probably it's my driving style that is bad. Never had these issues before though. And only on the rwd cars it seems.
    Just did a 30 min race and I was extremely careful to not lock up the rear brakes, and at 26 min the rear brakes failed again.
    I use the Dashmeter pro to monitor the brake temps and see exactly when they fail.

9. Vojvoda

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Changing the aggressiveness in braking does not change the temperature of the brakes too ...
    Civic@macau.png
    The light blue line in this screenshot (Civic@Macau) is pedal brake position, I think that is not possible to be more aggressive.
    You can see that minimum temp are 50 ºC aprox on the main straight.

Comparisons are odious, in most gmotor engine based simulator is possible. Is not indispensable to know this info if you can change duct brake and make "try and failure" test.

I'm happily married with my grid girl, I no need a simulator for this.
    I haven't a race car... unfortunately.

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Still, not what I'm talking about...
    As you seem to ignore or don't understand any of my points and questions, I'll just leave you to it.
    Brake ducts ftw.

11. F19_CoNa

F19_CoNa Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    What motec do you use to get these graphs?

12. Vojvoda

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I tried to politely answer all your questions... o_O
    No problem, you defend (to extreme) that brake duct is not necessary and I think the opposite. No need to argue.
    R3E Web Dashboard + Atlas Express Telemetry

13. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Whereas I'm being odious by stating facts...
    That's not what I said, so yeah, let's just leave it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. F19_CoNa

F19_CoNa Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Where can I find Atlas Express?

15. Vojvoda

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    iRacing account...

16. F19_CoNa

F19_CoNa Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Ah, typical. I'm waiting for better deal to resub again. Any other motec that can be used intead?

17. Vojvoda

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I'm working in the possibility to import csv data file with some free software.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Popo28

Popo28 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've now the same problem on Zandvoort National. After about 30 minutes the brake got bad. I had a pit stop at 20 minutes. I had to brake about 50 meters before my normal brakepoint. brakes are set to 54:46. :(

19. F19_CoNa

F19_CoNa Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Have tried moving bb front and back and it does not help. Rear breaks fail after 15-20 min depending of how hard I drive (or rather if I go really slow i can barely make 30 min). Tried aggresive breaking and it's not helping either.

20. Vojvoda

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any telemetry CSV of this?