Problem Failed to start game (app already running)

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by James Cook, Apr 13, 2015.

1. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    More often than not, I get this Steam error when I start R3E:

[​IMG]

The game starts fine and there doesn't seem to be any detrimental affects, yet this message pops up, not all, but most times when I start the game. No other game in my Steam collection does this. I've tried reinstalling Steam, reinstalling R3E and verifying files but no joy.

Any ideas? I've lived with this since day one, but I'd really like to get to the bottom of this issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed it takes R3E a while longer to load than many of the other games in Steam I own. Sometimes that small picture in the middle of the screen that says RaceRoom on it, and that the game is launching pops up immediately, but often times it takes a few moments.

In my haste to get into the game, sometimes during that few moment pause, I will press the "play" button in Steam to launch the game again, thinking it didnt register my mouse click the first time.

Every time though, it loads without fail. It starts fine, even after getting that same error message as you.

Im wondering if you do the same as me, and click the play button twice, thinking the game didnt launch properly.

Other than that though, I dont think I have experienced the same message under any other circumstances. The remedy for my above problem if you will, is to just be patient while R3E actually starts. Usually within a minute or so to launch before it actually opens the game and checks the log in credentials dumping me at the main menus.

3. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Definitely not clicking twice. As I said, this is the only Steam game that does this. R3E always starts fine, sometimes a bit slower depending what mood it's in on the day.

4. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I get the same thing, figured it had something to do with running Razer Cortex to kill the background processes though. lol

5. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Definitely not that but you could be on to something there. Maybe a background process is causing this?

I've set up exclusions in ESET Smart Security to rule out that. Could be something like Rivatuner Statistics Servers maybe?

6. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, I had Rivatuner at one stage (also while this was happening) but I've since removed it from my PC but still getting the same issue.
    I wonder if it's something to do with the amount of R3E installs I seem to have on my system?

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    For those who use Logitech profiler, disable it. There are issues with it in other games as well.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    I believe I have those multiple raceroom folders too. Could be something to do with this.

Can a dev comment?

9. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I just deleted one of them some time ago... Unfortunately i don't remember which :\

10. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Don't suppose you know exactly what those issues are do you? I can't say I've experienced any problems related specifically to the profiler... just the hardware (optical encoder wheel and brake pedal) lol.

11. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Actually I don't. I have multiple Race 07 installs instead.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    @Ronin_GTDave

Not anymore no. I'm based on comments I see in other forums. I don't recall ANY issue with my G27 and my DFGT wheel (I only have the dfgt as spare... just in case ;) ) either.

But wrt to this subject the it seems the profiler gets "attached" somehow. Of, this happens AFAIK when games are launched via steam or the profiler itself BUT when profiler AND steam (don't) work together.

Other issues are related to the option "let the game adjust settings" in the profiler which some seem to affect FFB so it is better to be disabled and others never even install the profiler.

Disclaimer: I'm just mentioning problem found. They may or may not be the cause of problems with R3E specifically. WMMV and as such these are to be take JUST as possible solutions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, this may be the cause of the problem some people have had with the rotation/sensitivity suddenly changing mid game.

14. Obizzz

Obizzz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    That's not really a solution though. These days I'm on a Thrustmaster wheel but back when I was a Logitech user I used the profiler a lot. You know for having different profiles for different games. Never had any issues with it though.

15. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    @Obizzz
    I think my previous post explains things a bit better.

• Like Like x 1