Bug Fanatec DD1 assigned controls not being saved BUG (fix found)

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Faisalero, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Faisalero

Faisalero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello fellow sim racers i'm having an annoying issue with my DD1 podium it's that when i assign the controls to the default setup and restart the sim it doesn't save any of it and creates a new custom profile as if the default one doesn't exist as well as showing the device missing message.

im using the last Fanatec drivers 356 with finlab v 1.23 beta

2. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Hello, has the issue started appearing after updating to driver 356 or has it always been like this?

Can you detail precisely the steps you're following to reproduce the issue?

3. Faisalero

Faisalero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i cant confirm if it has been doing this after updating to 356 since i unboxed the wheel and used the latest drivers right away i tried to fix it with starting the game in admin mode and checking the compatibility in RRRE and rebooting after but that didn't fix the issue .

4. Faisalero

Faisalero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    for the steps i used i just boot the sim chose the default profile and assign the controls and it works with no issue but after i exit the sim and return to controls its all gone and a new custom profile is crated so i reassign again and so on each time i exit a new custom profile duplicate is created and i have to input controls again.

5. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Can you share with me the game.log files from those sessions ? they are timestamped files located in My \Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\Log

Are there any other settings that reset to default everytime? Such as video options, audio options, etc?
    This would indicate game simply failing to find your user files at launch and creating new folders, and we would then investigate some folder rights.

6. Faisalero

Faisalero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no settings are changed or reset other than the assigned controls in the default profile , i attached the log files for the last sessions .

Attached Files:

7. Evert G

Evert G New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, Can anybody tell me how this was resolved?
    I have the exact same issue at the moment. Everything was working except that my DD1 was always reported missing but the specific wheel profile worked ok. I then tried to create separate profiles for each of my two wheels (McLaren GT3 and Porsche 918) and both my wheel keep losing their assignments. The button assignments remain in in tactand also all other settings. I have checked verified my local files and deleted my entire Simbin folder but the problem continues to recurr.

8. Faisalero

Faisalero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    not yet the DD1 still reports missing and when i quit the sim the button assignments disappear so frustrating .

9. Evert G

Evert G New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've just spend a while going through the whole process again and it still does not work for me either:
    1 - Created a unique profile (based on Podium DD1 Default) for the DD1 with McLaren wheel (at this point I have a McLaren profile that works and the Default Podium DD1 profile that is missing the DD1 (Red))
    2 - Exit the game, DD1 off, changed to Porsche 918 wheel, started game again
    3 - All wheel assignments lost
    4 - Exit the game, DD1 off, changed to McLaren wheel, started game again
    5 - All wheel assignments OK
    6 - Exit the game, DD1 off, changed to Porsche 918 wheel, started game again
    7 - Created a new profile (based on Podium DD1 Default) for the Porsche wheel
    8 - Exit the game, DD1 off, changed to McLaren wheel, started game again
    9 - All wheel assignments lost in McLaren profile
    10 - Exit the game, DD1 off, changed to Porsche 918 wheel, started game again
    11 - All wheel assignments lost in Porsche profile
    12 - Exit the game, DD1 off, changed to McLaren wheel, started game again
    13 - Re-entered wheel assignments in McLaren profile
    14 - Exit the game, DD1 off, keep McLaren wheel, started game again
    15 - McLaren profile OK

At the moment I cannot swap wheel without losing all assignments. This started to happen about a month ago. Prior to that I had a single profile that recognised both wheels. Has anything been changed recently on either the R3E or Fanatec setup?

10. Faisalero

Faisalero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think i managed to find the bug and how its fixed after banging my head and pulling my hair i noticed something, that every time we exit the game the wheel assignment is lost and this is where the bug starts (the game doesn't save the assigned controls unless you exit the game and reassign them again in the same custom profile ).

what happens is that when we see the lost or unsaved assigned controls we create a new profile (based on Podium DD1 Default) and that new profile will lose its assigned controls as well the moment we exit the game and so on we go through a loop .

So to fix this annoying bug all we have to do is when we exit the game we put in mind that we will lose the controls because they are not saved with the wheel we are using, and for us to save the controls we must start the game again and reassign the controls again so it will look like this :

1- Attach wheel (i used BMW rim) >Turn DD1 on >Turn game on > go to assign controls > chose the default fanatec DD1 profile > game creates a new custom profile > assign controls in custom profile > exit game (the controls will be lost)

2- DD1 still on > Turn game on > go to assign controls >chose custom profile made earlier (don't create new one from default Fanatec DD1 or you'll go through the loop) > reassign controls in custom profile > exit game (now the controls are magically saved ) .

After figuring that out i tested if i can swap wheels without losing all assigned controls, so i got a second wheel ( F1 wheel) and repeated the same steps and it worked, now i can switch wheels and the controls are saved but put in mind that you need to chose the custom profile for the specific wheel your using as it will not be detect automatically.

please devs look into this and fix this bug because the game should save the input controls the first time you assign them the game doesn't save them unless you exit and restart the game and reassign the controls on the custom profile that was created from the default profile .

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Thought I would share my thoughts:

In the folder for Steering I've copied my steering rcs, gave it another name. Then open it with an editor and changed the name there in the first row, too. This works for me and I only have to assign the buttons once.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Faisalero

Faisalero New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so you change the name of the profile from with in the rcs file and the controls get saved ?!
    if so either way is just confusing the game should save controls assigned the first time you do it but thanks for your thoughts much needed .

13. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that’s what it did. I know, it’s only a workaround

14. Evert G

Evert G New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Xenfor, I did the same thing and it works! Thanks you for finding out because both my wheels have their own profile now and I can swap wheels. I'll keep an eye on it and report if it goes wrong again.

15. MadDog SimRacing

MadDog SimRacing New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the workaround. I find it difficult to believe that it is still an issue not resolved...

EDIT: My issue was that I was using an invalid character that would not let the file be created. I removed the 'space' and the '/' in the name and it created/saved as it should.

Please add validation to file name when allowing rename or notify if unable to save.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020