Fanatec Formula Rim or McLaren Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alexander Asner, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Because I tend to forget to switch profiles...:D
    After the race has started, it's too late... I don't have that issue switching from the Porsche to the Formula. There is a slight difference, but I can easily remember that.
    The less hassle the easier...

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    The difference is - although the layout is different, it’s similar and the buttons trigger the same function from wheel to wheel. So top left is the same between two wheels. So switching between wheels requires no remapping and you can hot swap wheels in a session.

The McLaren wheel has the buttons not just in different locations but nothing matches the other fanatec wheels in any way. So no hot swapping - close game, swap wheel, switch profile. Not a huge deal but when jumping around in multi player it sucks to have to restart.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Well guys, we have to admit that if we want a hassle free experience, we had to stay with some Logitech or Thurstmaster. The deeper we simulate our races, the more hassle, glitches, tweaks, cables and tools are involved :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure you need to relaunch the game for the McLaren wheel?
    R3E is one of the more easy game to switch wheel on a Fanatec base. Never had to relaunch, at most you'll need to reboot the base, if wheel is not detected.

And as controller profils can be accessed from anywhere in the game, even during a session, you can do it when you want and select the profil needed.
    I have BWM, F1, 918 , universal hub and McLaren wheel, I didn't tried yet the hotswap in R3E with the Mclaren but for the other it's only a matter of choosing the related profil in the controller menu (I already have a different profile for BMW and F1 because even if the buttons are the same the layout is slightly different)

When playing in MP, I often switch wheel when already connected to a session, never had issue with that.
    But as said: didn't try yep for the McLaren.

5. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It’s very hit and miss - sometimes I lose all force feedback, other times the button mapping simply doesn’t switch, and almost always it puts a banner at the top saying device connected (which blocks the option bar for switching to the new profile).

None of this happens switching between any of the other fanatec wheels, only the Mclaren.

3169B8F5-219A-4DE2-893E-C710A2A6CE32.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's more a case of partial support from the game.
    When we will have full support (rotary selectors, etc) it may behave better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    How do you swap rims in R3E ? If I swap rims it shows as controller missing and i need to restart the game !

8. museumsteve

museumsteve Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    It should only show the controller missing for that profile. If you put another rim on and click the correct profile in the options it should let you carry on as normal.

9. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I could perfectly switch between the Porsche 918 RSR and the Formula carbon, i had made no other profile.
    With the McLaren that was not possible due to the (totally) different button layout.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    Just make a new profile

11. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I don't need to. I sold the McLaren within a few days. It was not what I expected/hoped for.
    In fact that was the first step turning towards OSW... :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Im not sure I will use the Formula carbon much anymore !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1