Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    The more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if the QR2 is going to cost a lot. That automotive QR for $500 isn't far off of what Fanatec has on the pic I posted. The quick release may end up being too rich for my blood, as they say. LOL.

Emails about a certain wheel base have begun to hit in boxes of people who ordered it. Looks like the wait will be over for quite a few people. I hope soon happen, sooner. :D

2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I only see a guy dressed like a race driver switching from a mid-end to a pro high-end simulator (probably owned by BMW Motorsports) :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
  5. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    From what I gather, the CSL DD has to be in compatibility mode in order to work with R3E, correct?

6. Flybarless

Flybarless Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Currently yes, but will change soon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    People on FB having issues with CSL DD, tight to turn then spinning freely and very notch :eek:

8. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Have they tried stop using the FB? I find it helps a lot in life in general.

My first thought is not updated firmware or not inverted ffb.

• Like Like x 2
  9. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    But FB can be used to get in touch with the community, how else do you recommend it?
    On a whole I agree, FB sucks.

10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec has a forum or you can open a ticket. Support usually wants some kind of video evidence to look at issues from a ticket and it can take a few days until they respond, but this is the most direct contact.

11. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Well, if I would have a problem with a product I would start with a documentation.manual. Than I'd look for manufacturer website/forum. Forum people are usually more connected with the brand then social media.
    Also anything posted on the forum should be read by manufacturer representatives with means it can be registered as a problem to be solved. Then there's manufacturer's technical support.

I would read social media info only if it appeard high on google search results.
    Asking questions on social media will just get you a bunch of answers from people that have vague or no knowledge of the product. Unless your using social media to ask people you know and trust.

12. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Being new to having the ability to use different styled steering wheels with one wheelbase, it dawned on me to create different control sets for each wheel rim. This saves having to deal with the "P" button on the Mclaren rim, now being the "menu" button on the WRC rim. I can map the buttons to a sensible location on the rim I'm using, and also make use of buttons, switches or dials that might not have a corresponding button on a different wheel rim. So on the Mclaren I can use the dials for Brake bias and traction control, but on the WRC rim, I'm using the face buttons.

This is probably something CSL-E, CSW and Podium users already knew, but I never seen something like this mentioned anywhere. So I figure it would be a good tip to share.

Side note: The CSL-DD in PC mode is not displaying anything on the 7 segment LCD and display of either of my wheels. In order to get that working, I have to use compatibility mode still.

Also the wheel will not automatically set the sensitivity while using Fanalab. This is probably a setting issue on my part. The profiles I made had the sensitivity set to 1080º, so I would probably need to create a new profile with the sensitivity set to automatic. If that doesn't work, then I just won't boot up Fanalab.
    Neither of my wheelrims truly require the software. And I don't see the point in creating a wheel setup on a per-car basis. Perhaps if I were racing in a league or something, then that would be warranted, but not for my day to day use. I tend to switch between cars a lot, and having to jump out of the sim to change wheel settings because I am using a different car is just strange in my opinion.

13. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    First pre-order batches shipped to customers recently. The November date shown on the site is for if you are placing a pre-order today. This date has moved back several times as we take more orders. Eventually production should catch up so that the CSL DD will be 'in stock' in all regions but that might not happen for several months due to the high demand.

Combined with the Boost Kit 180, the CSL DD is superior to the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5. Torque output is about the same, but it can deliver more detail, faster. It also shares the same advanced filters of the Podium wheel bases, which allows more fine tuning of the motor characteristics compared to our belt-driven bases. We have seen a wide range of reactions to the CSL DD. Some describe it as being a small improvement over a V2.5, others say it is dramatically better. So it really depends on which aspects of FFB you are sensitive to.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Can you send me one just to test it over the CSWv2? I will give an honest impression for just the cost of the wheel :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    @DomB
    Well obviously Fanatec changed its production line in terms of wheel bases (apparently to make some products more affordable I suppose). But why did you throw out the classic Universal Hub ? I own one and I'm absolutely satisfied with it, while the new one looks quiet "plastic" to me (?)

Greetings ;)

16. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    The old hubs did have exchangable qr so the weren't upgradable to qr2

17. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Corrected it for you... ;-)

Additionally the new hubs have the magnetic shifter paddles instead of the older switch-only paddles already installed.

Then there is a version without Xbox-compatibility for 20,- € less for those who don't need it. Like me for example... ;-)

And they have their own upgradeable firmware for future updates - this can be good or bad though. Depends on how good the firmware is.

Apart from this they look the same to me compared to the old ones. Can't see any plastic where there was metal before. But I'm honestly only judging from the pictures. I own 2 of the old ones, but none of the new.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. n01sname

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    My fault Art, due to constant updates and changes at the Fanatec site over the last few months, which is a bit inconvenient to navigate anyway. Talking about this one here : https://fanatec.com/eu-de/lenkraeder/csl-universal-hub?number=CSL_SW_UH which looks like Lego meets Fanatec to me and was a bit shocked cause I missed the "classical" ones ...
    Problem solved :D

19. DomB

DomB Fanatec

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Yes we now actually list four different hubs: CSL Universal Hub, ClubSport Universal Hub V2, ClubSport Universal Hub V2 for Xbox, and Podium Hub. They all serve the same basic purpose of allowing most wheel rims (or third party wheels) to be used with a Fanatec base, but it is achieved slightly differently with each design.

20. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I would like to know if we are getting a csw dd..