Fanatec General Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DomB, May 22, 2018.

1. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec is right now in the final stages of developing a completely new firmware for their DD bases. There were some issues with the DD1/2 from the beginning that couldn't be solved without a complete rewrite of the firmware and based on what I read on their forums this is very close to release.

Apart from fixing the long standing bugs (especially the jolts when the ITM screen is used) with the DD1/2, not very much is known about it.

My guess (and hope) is, that they were holding back on some releases (like e.g. QR2) until this new firmware is ready, which probably also brings new drivers, to not have to develop this double now.

I'm personally interested in this thing. It comes from rally, but can basically be fitted on any flat rim with a 6x70 mm pattern. Unlike the already released button module endurance, which only fits a small number of wheels. I'm also interested in the QR2, but I'm afraid, I'd need a different wheelbase for this, as I'm still on a CSW 2.5 and I don't see them releasing an upgrade kit for this. The way it looks, the QR on the CSW bases isn't meant to be replaced.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I've written and said it everywhere else I frequent; I'll do the same here. If the Moza R9 was available the day I ordered my CSL-DD, that is the wheelbase I would currently own. For me the CSL-DD had timing as its major advantage.

Don't get me wrong, I like my CSL-DD, but Fanatec's proprietary quick release leaves me scratching my head. Everywhere else in the direct drive wheel market, there are solutions that you can get directly from automotive accessory manufacturers. But with Fanatec (And Thrusty's), you are stuck with what they provide. I get why, but it still puzzles me. Especially seeing better solutions out there, that cannot be used with Fanatec bases, because; they mostly say so. Not because it's impossible to implement.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    OK Fanatec, the stage is all yours. Please elaborate on this CSL-Elite brake pedal. It's nothing like the one sitting next to me.

[​IMG]

Here's a quick shot of the CSL-E I own. Please excuse the dust, they get a lot of sox use. The elastomer stack is different than the one in the video/screenshot above.

[​IMG]

Hopefully the CSL-Elite pedals are revised and re-released, I liked the pedals but felt the potentiometers and the questionable implementation of the loadcell were holding them back.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  4. Wilko Jones

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0