[Feature Request] Drivernames in the cars display?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maarten, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Would it be possible to show the driver names in the cars display? (see attached image) This would be great especially when driving in VR where the driver names are not displayed.

Best regards,

Maarten

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AriBo

AriBo Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    i'm agree !

3. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Not with the current game engine I'm afraid. This has been brought up numerous times over the years, something to do with the way the cars are modelled, bummer but fact of life!

4. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ok shame, could not find a post about this.

Would not be that hard to implement I'd say, they have to get the delta times to the other cars, should not be that hard to add a name to it.

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Just because something seems "easy" to us, it doesn't mean it really is easy in terms of game development. This is especially true when there are much more important things on the priority list. It's also worth noting that not all of the in-car displays have the same options so this would only work in some of them. Also, if the real life car doesn't do it, then it probably won't ever do it in the game either.

There are other ways to get driver names anyway, so this feature isn't needed. Any of the available WebHUDs have name display options, either as a position bar or a relative display. Both work fine for me in VR and are also more immersive than having floating names above the cars.

6. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Correct, I don't know if it's an easy fix, that's why I ask, seems like neither do you.

There are other ways to display driver names, that does not make the feature undesired. (maybe for you)