Feature Requests for R3E

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heath, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Driver Swaps :D for endurance races.

• Agree Agree x 14
  2. NavyFlipper HUN

NavyFlipper HUN New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    +1

• Like Like x 1
  3. LNRace

LNRace Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    YES PLEASE! Raceroom would be fantastic for endurance racing. Maybe with the ability to create actual teams in-game (e.g. with other drivers in your friends list), so you could sign up for an endurance race as a team (at least if it's an official event).

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. DYL3MMA

DYL3MMA New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah we need to take this to another level.
    Endurance races with driver swaps would be awesome!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. jt33396

jt33396 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    +1 here as well

6. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Apparently, the set will not be complete without rain and change of day and night.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Jim Eriksen

Jim Eriksen Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    but it could be a start with driver swaps to get some 6 our races tostart with ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    @R.Noctua was sort of more thinking of what could be achieved with current engine. I fully agree with day/night but was looking at what could be achieved in the short term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. flix0_0

flix0_0 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    yes for driver swaps would be great im in for that

10. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I guess this would be a feature request, but not related to better gameplay. I'd like to see one or two other TV style cameras added to the replay menu. There are lots of options\angles for chase cam, car cam, etc. but only one tv camera for each track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. c0ldwhiteite

c0ldwhiteite Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This

13. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Press the End key when tv cameras are selected to shuffle between standard, action, helicopter and static.

14. Jason Carlson

Jason Carlson Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Do all that many people race in the rain or at night? I have limited time to race, so I only want to race in the day on a good track. I'd rather have development time put to more tracks and updating/adding cars than a feature I know I will never use. Just my $.02 and I'm probably in the minority but thought I would ask. I've tried rain and night in ACC and didn't have much fun at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tobiaspitzer

tobiaspitzer Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I personally wouldn't mind a weather system and day/night cycle. I think a lot of players would like this feature and I can't quite understand why it hasn't been around for a long time. It can't be the graphics engine. Other simulations, which are much older, have these features too. Who doesn't like something like that doesn't have to use it.

16. racinjoe013

racinjoe013 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that bit of info. I never knew that was an option already.

17. Jason Carlson

Jason Carlson Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I agree, I don't have to use it if I don't want to. My point was that with limited resources I would rather have other features. I'm kind of curious how many others feel that way. Sure in the grand scheme of things we all want it to be able to be as realistic as possible. But how much use will it really get? Will it result in more sales? Is the weather and night just a passing fad from a couple vocal users or is it really a necessity? It isn't for me was my point. There are other games that have it, how much time is actually used racing in those special conditions? I appreciate your input as I do have a habit of being an outlier and kind of want to see where the community really lies. I just wanted to get my point out there that not all sim racers need this.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I don't care about weather changes or night races either. I especially like the light mood early in the morning or at sunset. This is enough for me, as I prefer sprint races anyway. From my experience with Project cars 2 a few years ago I can say that I watched a night race and was amazed about the great effects in the rain and the puddles - but that was it, I never used these features again.
    On the other hand, I understand that there are enough of us who want to drive a realistic 24h race and it would be the highlight if the moon came through the clouds at night on the Döttinger Höhe while it was pouring out of buckets at the Adenauer Forst... My fullest understanding but not on my personal wish list.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    You probably haven't read the numerous threads about this topic. It's not about the age of a given engine but about what has been built in when the concept was made. Neither weather nor a day/night cycle was planned to be ever part of RaceRoom when it was coded initially. The whole focus was generally a lot less on the simulation side. For example the engine supports only one light source. Which at the moment is the sun. Headlights on the cars or lights at the trackside couldn't shed any light. So in the night it would be quite a dark ride. :cool: And program code can sometimes be a bitch. Very often it's just not doable to add a certain functionality without a complete rewrite - depending on how it was done initially. Furthermore rain is not just a bunch of fancy graphics. You need a highly dynamic track surface with for example puddles and a drying racing line and all of this coded into the physics too. The behaviour of wet tyres is also quite a bit different in general, especially what happens when the track dries up and they start to shred into pieces.

So it's not only the graphics engine but also the physics. While surely possible somehow - ultimately you can change every code, even if a total rewrite is necessary - it would be a huge undertaking for sure.

And while I'm a nut for endurance racing myself and would love to see both in RaceRoom as it adds a huge amount of immersion for me, I can understand that this would mean a giant undertaking for a small studio like S3. They have already stated several times that they would like to bring these features to us, but they never promised anything for sure because it all comes down to if it pays off in one or another way. A lot of players just don't care, others try it out a few times, find it cool or not but never race in the rain or dark again after the hype wears off. That's just reality.

Maybe a partner in form of one of the huge endurance events would help in this regard. If RaceRoom would be chosen by for example the management of the Nordschleife 24h to be the sim for a virtual event they want to host, maybe then there would be money and incentive to add these features. E-sports is getting bigger for sure, but if this ever happens...I don't know... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jason Carlson

Jason Carlson Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for pointing out the complexity of said requests. I now have a much better understanding of what it would take. Confirms my vote to use the limited resources elsewhere.
    Hijack of thread over.