Feedback on [BETA] - RANKED servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stickdeath1980, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    You can drive around alone right now, in the official servers, if you're willing to put the effort in - but you're right it can be abused by people grinding out their own dedicated 1 lap races, etc.

On the subject of under-populated ranked servers, perhaps if drivers with solid reputations (maybe class C+ i.e. proven non-wreckers) joined a lower ranked server their ranking was suspended for that race?

Meaning they wouldn't gain any reputation points by competing against players of less ability, but also they wouldn't lose any reputation points either if they get involved in accidents or incidents.

2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Then as a wrecker you can just do a couple clean races once and then go terrorise the lower ranked servers (although im not quite sure what you mean by those, perhaps those with lower/no entry restrictions?) forever without getting punished

3. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Sure it can be abused. If a wrecker really wants to build up their rating for the sole purpose of ruining lower-ranked races without reputation loss, well, that's their deranged prerogative. But how many wreckers are so dedicated to establish a clean racing record, presumably while making friends and improving themselves, only to hassle the official beginner-ranked servers? Perhaps not zero, but very few I'll bet.

But the idea of allowing high-rep drivers race in beginner-ranked races with immunity was to help ameliorate the problem of under-populated beginner-ranked servers. Whether in reality it would help or not, I don't know.

4. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Depends on how high your reputation would need to be before getting that "immunity". If its in the high 90s ill agree with your bet, if its say 80 you can get there within a couple of races which isnt much work at all and i wouldnt be surprised to see a big enough amount of wreckers do it to completely destroy the experience on the lower ranked servers

5. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    It´s summer and Corona has subsided, so I think that until the summer sale numbers will continue to go down.
    Certainly having to join for practice does put some people off. I reckon a solution is to use the qualifying with no outlap option and reduce the qually time to maybe 5 mins (a problem for NS but it is what it is). With no other traffic on track then there should be no lost laps due to getting blocked.

And again, please consider auto track rotation function so we are not stuck on a track no one likes or owns forever.

6. OldFart

OldFart Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That is available to do now, I have done that it makes no difference to how active that server is, the best advice, if you can't find a track car combo you like, start a server, perhaps others will join you, and increase the selection for others

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  7. francis.beland

francis.beland New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think we are looking too far. First the important thing is to attract people on ranked servers. My problem, and I believe it's the same for other persons is that usually here what happens when I open Raceroom:

1- Going to ranked servers
    2- Most are empty
    3- When they're not, they are at the Q or R status so I can't join.
    4- They're running on a track that I don't have. And if nobody connects on it, it will stay that way for a long time.

It has been mentioned but before all of that ratings problems, I would like to be able to know in advance that, for example, at 8PM EDT on Monday:

US Server #1 --> Silhouette race on Portimao P15/Q15/R30 --> no minimum rating
    US Server #2 --> FRX-17 race on Zandvoort P15/Q15/R30 - minimum safety 80
    US Server #3 --> GT3 race on Spa P15/Q15/R30 --> Minimum safety 80

9PM EDT:

US Server #1 --> Silhouette race on Sepang P15/Q15/R30 --> no minimum rating
    US Server #2 --> FRX-17 race on Hockenheim P15/Q15/R30 - minimum safety 80
    US Server #3 --> GT3 race on P15/Q15/R30 --> Minimum safety 80
    etc.
    The race will run no matter what and the schedule is known in advance so if I want to participate, I can connect between 8:00 and 8:15.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I meant for ranked servers. they all have outlap and other traffic during qually.

9. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but why are there so few ranked servers?
    The list is usually empty if I tick 'ranked', or sometimes there is just one.
    Am I missing a way of bringing up unseen ranked servers somehow. I'd really like more opportunity for some ranked (i.e. a bit more likely to be 'clean' ) racing.

Also, can I only race on 'Europe' ranked servers, or is there a way to join US or Asia ones?

Any advice appreciated.

10. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Check your filter settings. Maybe you have empty servers unchecked, so it will only show server on which somebody is actually driving. I can see a whole lotta ranked servers. Mostly empty though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. morsify

morsify Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Arthur Spooner. That was it. :)
    Also, I didn't realise they disappeared when they were 'closed'. So after waiting 10 minutes one of the closed sessions finished, opened and reappeared.

(I've been sim racing offline for many years, but hardly ever raced online, so still getting to grips with MP and server stuff).

Thanks again

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    You should also have EMPTY filter checked as a lot of them are empty waiting for players.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheOutdriver97

TheOutdriver97 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully some signs of improvement to report.

Managed to get a couple of races on the WTCR ranked server yesterday which was good, 3 drivers in the first race and 4 in the second before I had to leave. GTR3 server also looked to have similar numbers.

Obviously still not the level of interest there was late last year and early this year with full grids but it was nice to get a race as I haven't managed that in a long time.

14. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    One solution could be to reduce players´ rankings if they don´t do ranked races after a certain time e.g. 1% per day after 1 week, 3% after 2 weeks, 10% after a month and 15% per day thereafter - as an example. That will stop people camping on their ratings. I believe certain sports rankings use a similar system to make sure recent results are more important than those gained months ago.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    And why is it bad?

I think for this game and this feature (ranked MP) it's way too early to think about "how to manipulate our players into doing what they don't want to do otherwise".

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  16. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Gave explaining why a couple attempts but with little success of putting it into words without having to write a way too long text :D
    But still wanna say that i would absolutely hate something like that

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    So use the carrot method and offer a little VRP or exclusive competition entry to those who want to improve their ratings maybe?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    How people can already be in the top 100 with less than 10 races competed in? Something is not quite right with the scoring.

19. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Because they are winners

20. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Dont think thats an issue in general. Lets take an extreme example and say you happen to drive your first 8 races against the top 25 ranked players. You go on to win all of those, beating the best of the best every time, and you end up getting 90th position on the ranking list at that point. If i were that person id argue that i should be ranked way higher than what you would already consider too high ;)
    Obviously a slightly unlikely example but i dont think that being able to move up the list fairly fast in the beginning is an issue. Otherwise youd have to race dozens and dozens of times to get your rating to be somewhat representative..