Feedback on [BETA] - RANKED servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stickdeath1980, Dec 18, 2019.

1. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Thats the normal behaviour of the game if you had a disconnect. At first you will see no other cars anymore but can still drive and the game switches from interneal to nose view.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. sloppshaa

sloppshaa Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    so just a few observations from me.

The format and time is spot on, don't change it. 10 mins quali, 20 min race - perfect.

There are too many ranked servers.; You don't want to end up with a situation where players are being spread out.
    They need to be funnelled into 3 or 4 servers max to ensure enough players in each server.

Finally, the DTM 2014 cars are awesome, its a shame you don't have a server running them.

3. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Based in Australia, I dont think ranked has autokick for high ping or has a higher tolerance? as i would've been given a message.

edit: for the most part ranked has been smooth
    #293 Son idu 1570.2 - 76.7 - 19

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's almost certainly connection. You can carry on as you are and accept that sometimes you will drop or try changing something on your end. It's up to you really.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    is there anyway that you can ditch the wifi connection and hard wire it /lan , as the chances are it was a blip in the wifi that got you dropped from the server

Andi

6. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Just a bit more feedback, i would like to see more pitlane assistance or a penalty reduction for speeding in the pitlane. I experienced about 5x speeding penalties in 1 20 minute race on zandvoort a few nights ago. Noticed today someone got disqualified for the pitlane speeding in Zolder. It does feel like a super double whammy if your car gets totaled on the startline and then cop a drive through penalty for speeding/misjudging the white line which is easy to dowhen youre nursing a broken car with cold brakes/tyres.

I used to do that but was having to replace the 10 metre cable every 5-12 months as it was getting stepped on allot which would rupture the shielding. Ive got 2 PC case boxes filled with old wires with splits in them.

7. Jens Roos

Jens Roos New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Then I'm on the other end for the ranked servers, full damage and penalties (as of now?). Lapping cars and handling the sometimes damaged car is part of the whole race package.

I would even like to see an layout with 10-15 minutes open practice, closed 10 minutes qualify and 20-25 minutes race. An server ratio 3:1, one ranked with longer race like 60 minutes of every 3 with shorter ones.

When people can join in final seconds of qualify and directly race, it will add to the potential crash party. On races with +25 drivers, often less than 50% last 20 minutes. However, if you survive the first 2-3 laps (qualify top 5 helps) most races have been really good so far regardless where you end up in the pack.

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i have 2 20metre cables in my house , one for me and the one for what i believe is a teenager that lives in a bedroom(there have been no confirmed sightings recently , but noise does come from that sector of the house)

i just hang my cables up on the walls when i cant run round the room as such , yep its not pretty but wifi sucks for gaming

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I use powerline adapters to get my internet from router to garage where my rig lives. Works perfectly. Much much better than wifi.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Yea, the issue i've witnessed in Fx90 and DTM 1992 is we have cracking qualifying sessions and then the race starts and almost everyones had thier own accident in the 1st lap and the fields become spread out. Then we all finish the race 30-50 secnds behind each other.

Thats the reason for my suggestions. I wont fuss if these suggestions dont get adopted. I do honestly want to see a better pitlane entry/exit assist though.
    My girlfriend uses this but i found with her experience in MMO's that its less reliable/consistent than 5ghz wifi which is what we both use since we got 5g. I'll try powerline adapters with raceroom.

11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Is pitlane assist not allowed on the ranked servers?

12. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Its broken, inconsistent or buggy. Its turning off the throttle assist after the pitstop is complete so if you've got your foot on the pedal after the car goes down you can break the speed limit and trigger a drive through before exiting the pitlane.

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'll take a look at it, never seen this before.

14. St54Kevin

St54Kevin New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I didn´t read through the whole thread but what I would like to see is a reduction of the frequency of changing the tracks. People just are not familiar with some tracks and a 20min Q ist maybe to little time to get into it. To be honest I would lock a server to one or two tracks per day to prevent track newcomers to dive into their first race without any track knowledge. I think thats the main reason why 70% of the drivers always rage quit before finishing because of a crash. That would give us way more consistent races. Now its just a matter of finishing and you are in Top 5.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    You are a beginner and not able to adapt the track, turn on ideal line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. St54Kevin

St54Kevin New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    To be honest if you do have to turn on the ideal line in a race you should not race that track on a ranked server. It's great to learn basic breaking points and lines but it's not a great tool to prepare for a race and I personally think it would not lead to the clean racing we all are looking for on our ranked servers. I'm totally fine with beginners. You can be slow but clean. Everything fine with that. But people jumping into ranked races on tracks they don't know does not lead to clean races and after all does not lead to servers with 50%+ people finishing. And that is something we should definitely look at to solve because 32 people starting and only 12 people finishing is a big problem

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  17. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I´d say it´s a combination of the suspension damage being on by default and the unforgiving last physics update on those classes making the races too hard for a lot of players, noobs or established players. That combination has taken the fun factor out of DTM 92 for me as it is now just a question of driving like a bus simulator, slowly, carefully and trying not to spin out or hit a kerb. A far cry from the old DTM92 where you could really push the cars and race wheel to wheel.

The NSU races have generally been really good but again the suspension damage being on puts a lot of people out of the race as spending 3 minutes in the pits to fix it plus al the lost time getting there in a 20 min race means it makes no sense to stay in the race as a mutiple lapped car unless you want to keep reliability rating up.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    There are a handful of specific points on tracks that are causing excessive suspension damage, these are being found and fixed as we go along, impossible to find them all in pre release testing.... RE DTM 92 the old physics were so lenient that calling them sim cars was pushing it. Yes they are a bit more unforgiving now, but also more rewarding when you master them....

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. St54Kevin

St54Kevin New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Then just don't hit sausage curbs or don't hit walls. For me that damage system is very nice. IRL you would literally kill the complete car hitting those things.
    I'm talking about ranked servers. There shouldn't be something like damaged disabled ranked server. That is not the purpose, I think many people don't get that . Join an unofficial one then, if you don't like it. The aim is to close the gap to iRacings superb online racing. That's only possible with As Real As It Gets simulation and with a system that keeps people engaged in being serious about Sim racing not gaming (sorry for that term). Ranked servers are the beginning of something the Sim racing community asked for a nearly a decade now. Surely the number of racers online is another problem but as soon as there is a solid system that keeps newcomers from racing with the hardcore Sim racers im sure there will be more participation. And changing tracks every hour won't help with only maybe 50-100 people racing in a whole day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I guess it depends on what the objective of the ranked servers is. For me it has been great to have the opportunity to race cars like the NSU that very few private servers bother with and being part of the starter pack means you have a wider player base than say WTCR2019. It was also a good move to combine TCR 18 and 19 as many of us have 18 cars and are not planning on buying 19´s too just now.

The issue with the tracks is that some of them are too obscure so you end up with 2 or 3 racers as everyone else has got kicked out as they don´t own the track in question and then the game gets stuck on that one truck till someone goes in and does a race on their own to move to the next one.

Perhaps it would be good to have some non ranked servers too apart from the ones that are always doing practise sessions or silhouetters and even have a next track voting system once a race ends.