Feedback on [BETA] - RANKED servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stickdeath1980, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps, but races were a lot more FUN! Also, the move to more hardcore sim physics seems contradictory when there is now less to adjust with car setup e.g. the diff settings now only have 3 % options and coast is fixed. Before, those were quite useful to balance the cars in terms of traction and turn in oversteer but now it is not possible.

2. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Theres allot of tracks ingame. Not to mention the varying layouts of each track where Ideal line is a life saver because you can literally forget which layout youre on. Paul Ricard layout in Fx90's rotation for example. I need that line for this track! Also Nurburgring layout in DTM1992 as the chicane is the highspeed one. The ideal line braking points dont reflect the cars you're driving either thats to our judgement.

Some Moba games have a minimal experience rating on every *champion-> car/track every season before people can enter ranked. This would be a nice way to measure progression in singleplayer and make it relevant to multi in Raceroom imho.
    Im finding it easier than previously. Had allot of clean battles with other players too. People are spinning so easily because they're not waiting for the rear end to stablise + watching temps and tyre wear and adjusting to it. The cars have allot of pitch and roll.

3. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I class myself as a top middle pack driver with limited knowledge of tracks due to time and practice.

1. Where would I fit in the ranking system if you had to be fully conversant with track before being allowed in a server. Not sure I would like to have to spend hours offline learning a track before being allowed to drive it online.
    2. Racing against the top of the pack is not always enjoyable , sometimes too far ahead to be fun sometimes you feel like a seal being toyed with by a killer whale! I do want to race them sometimes but not always as it's better have close order races. Maybe there's a % set at the top of your rank that allows you to drive with higher ranked drivers if you want.
    3. You would need servers that allow testing not just racing as sometimes the feel of a car online is different to offline and it's nice to have the unpredictability of humans to learn from.

Just my random thoughts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    As far as is possible, the range of adjustments reflects the real life setup changes that can be made on the cars. Newer more realistic physics doesn't automatically mean harder to drive. This is a sim though and the drive is to make it as real as can be. Taking the dtm92 as an example, the old physics meant that the tyres never lost any grip regardless of slip angle, clearly, this was nonsense. I find that the cars can be driven just as hard but there is definitely more balance required on the controls. Throwing them at a corner and knowing they will stick is no longer a thing.

• Agree Agree x 9
  5. vicnet11

vicnet11 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi. I’m experiencing too much lags when servers have more than 30 participants

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    where are you located? whats your ping to the servers?

7. vicnet11

vicnet11 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello. The "ping" column only shows "-ms" most of the time
    Thank you

8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    That suggests to me that you are not getting a solid connection to the servers. For example I usually get about 40ms and i never see any lag. The ranked servers are all in Europe at the moment, of you are elsewhere or have a bad internet connection generally then you will struggle. Always go with a wired connection rather than WiFi if possible.

9. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    I tried them with analogue controller and the problem of the cars spinning out on applying throttle remains even after playing about with sensitivity settings and feathering the throttle. This seems to be the main issue other players are having too - getting on the gas on any car except the Audi causes a spin which is very difficult to catch. I can understand it on a 700BHP F1 car with no traction control but these older DTMs were not that powerful. Even the Audi spins away on acceleration with 4x4 and maximum possible diff lock, now only 67%.
    Should I be using traction control? Probably, but it is not on in the ranked server. This is coming from a top 100 ranked player.

10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I can't really help if you're using a controller as I have only very limited experience. @Christian Göpfert may be able to give you some tips....

11. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I haven't had any problems with the DTM 1992 Mercedes using my Steam Controller. You need to be careful with the throttle in lower gears in general in these cars.

12. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yellow flags are bugged,I get them when on my own on track.

13. St54Kevin

St54Kevin New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    1. I dont want the game to limit people by their experience, although I really like the Track medal approach ACC is taking. It is enough to know the track. But is it actually fun for you to race without track knowledge? Or race against others that do stupid things because they dont have it?
    2. i think this comes with server population. Look at ACC. I can have awesome races today because the Conpetition Servers even Split! Thats great for sim racing. R3E will come along to that state I think.
    3. Thats what I meant with "lesser track change per day". Maybe even with 1h Practice sessions or races just every 3 hours or more depending on number of racers

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    another random thought - should some of the servers be default setup ?

15. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    What do you think? Are you for it or against it?

Me im indifferent although if i had a choice between 2 identical servers i would go for the one with custom setups. Especially with the new physics rework and UI. Theres allot more information available for anyone who wants to improve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. St54Kevin

St54Kevin New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    IMO if yes, then only 1 or 2 servers. There is a generell misconception about setups making you 4 seconds faster. This is wrong! If you are not at the driver limit, which by the way I think counts for 99% of the drivers, setups will not make you faster they can even slow you down. So a custom setup will probably not change laptimes for 90% of the people. The 10% having one may already be seconds faster without one, and setup doing the last .5 Seconds. So my opinion is: Keep them open, only make them fixed in smaller series like NSU or dtm and only when the default setup is a good one.

And, you don't have time for making good setups with tracks changing every hour :p

• Like Like x 2
  17. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    im not really sure
    same here I cant make my mind up - I usually race default as haven't the time and the brain power to start tuning and it would be good to know if the reason you got whupped was because of a tune or my bad driving:cry:

agreed tuning is only a small % of the overall skill package. Using default may make some drivers actually persevere with a combo and trying to tame a car that you thing is awful on default actually becomes rewarding in the end and probably teaches you more than driving a well tuned car from the off . Give a bad driver a well tuned car and he will still be a bad driver

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. St54Kevin

St54Kevin New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    May we have an inside of a developer here about current state, "problems" and plans for the ranked servers? What is the actual goal of them to be?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    The tuner still has to be aware of how to drive around his setup changes. Thier setup wont be faster if they still turn into corners too early or dont slow down enough to make the apex or dont understand weight transfer and the effect brake bias and brake behaviour has on that.
    I disagree with you i'll tell you why.
    Gear Ratios = Anyone who knows how to set ratios to suit the track is going to have a huge advantage over base setups. (This is one area i personally think should be locked and its why i think Raceroom has limited gear ratios.)
    Dirt Rally offers a great example of this too. Watch all the world record times and most have gear ratios as low as they can get away with.
    I go nuts with tuning. My opinion is base setups since Alex has started working his magic are pretty much nailed for every car i've tried. You can not go wrong with the cars that have had update physics+base setups imho. DTM1992 base setup is absolutely sweet for example.

Now this is from my own personal testing and comparisons. There are some cars ingame that do have characteristics that i dont like driving to.