Feedback on [BETA] - RANKED servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stickdeath1980, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    He did comment under the video now that he wasnt aiming for me and as he didnt hit me and i still won cuz he got a 30 second penalty (for not serving the slowdown i guess) maybe not hit him with a block right away ;)
    But if theres something thatd just serve as a little slap on the wrist then feel free to go for it :D

2. Tom Weaver

Tom Weaver Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    hello!
    so first of all I want to apologise for my behaviour. This was a massive miss step in judgement.

The ranked server this was taking place on had 3 people in it. myself, nico and someone else.

The 'move' I took was never intended to harm or even beat nico in the race. I knew id get a penalty and would come second
    I was 'messing around' and not taking this race seriously due to it being 3 man race.

however, as has clearly been shown, nico was taking this race seriously and I failed to consider this when cutting the chicane.

for that im sorry and accept accountability. this whole debacle has caused a stirring in my club and brought disrepute upon us in the forums. I can wholeheartedly say this type of driving is not indicative of the standards we set for ourselves and the wider community.

hopefully we can get past this and chalk down to an error in judgement.

cheers
    RWB cHackz0x12
    catch you out on track

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's not a problem. The fact that the 30s penalty was correctly applied is more important at this stage....and "moves" like this are actually needed to test the system. So all is good. These are exactly the things we need to see and sort out in this beta phase

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. taudrak

taudrak New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What to do, if I am the only one, who qualified? I just raced with myself and fortunately won :) because I do not want to get penalty points.
    I think the server should restart qualifying, or start the next one in these cases.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Just two thoughts: Seems to me that the "Slowdown when cutting" is not working, if this were in place maybe no need for incident points. On Red Bull Ring you can gain so much by not obeying to track limits in turns 1 and 2, why is this still allowed? The few incident points will not scare anyone.
    2. Why not do rolling starts? Then the chance for turn 1 incidents will be much lower, and it seems fairer to me. Also less likely that a so-called "noob" can cause any carnage in turn 1 if further back. Not to mention the real life races where you mostly have rolling starts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Track cuts, slowdowns etc are constantly under review in this beta phase. Problems are being picked up and looked at as they occur so this kind of thing will get sorted.

Rolling starts for MP would be great but at the moment the automated system doesn't work properly and a manual formation lap would require a lot of work. For now I think the priority is getting the ranked system working under current conditions and then in the future these things may be investigated

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I thought about just a seperate UI aswell where people can just 'apply for a spot in the next race' from anywhere they are in the game and then go off and do stuff in single player stuff until a server is populated. A few games had that system before. Master X Master comes to mind.

I've noticed during the empty times on Asia server that no one enters in the first 10 minute. They all come in with 2 minutes of qualifying remaining. Its so confusing because 'do i stick around at the 2 minute mark? and risk a lonely race against myself? or do i just reset/restart the qualifying?

Last night in Aquila was a great example where i was lonely 18 minutes and left to reset qualifying then when i reentered the server 30 seconds later it had 4 people in it. But the qualifying timer had reset to 20 minutes.

Anyway i've had allot of lonely races and it doesnt effect your rating score. It only effects your reputation.

Maybe its a cheaters way to build/repair reputation? Though its not really as my average rep hit per race is less than 5 and mostly nill.

8. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    I don't understand how the disqualification works.
    On the hunagaroring this evening, I was pushed several times.
    I did not push anyone but I was always hit.
    The last one who pushed me, resulted in my disqualification.
    I do not understand why ; I didn't make mistakes, I was always hit from behind

sorry for my english because it is not my language

9. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    When two cars make (heavy enough) contact theyll both get incident points as there is no system that could automatically determine who was at fault. If you get more than 30 incident points you get disqualified

10. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I don’t agree entirely. It’s fact at the moment that if two cars make contact you both get penalized.

I think at minimum it should be double the points Incurred for the person behind. This won’t stop someone from brake checking you or some other variant. But it would at least penalize more the person at fault 85% of the time correctly.

The biggest issue is being hit from behind from people who can’t use the brakes or a brain cell correctly.

having a ranking system is a huge step up. But to leave it as is for incidents is ludicrous and they could absolutely hedge their bets with a system that detours rear ending someone.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Thats all i was saying, explaining to hervé why he was disqualified.
    Its obvious that thats no perfect solution but judging by what the devs are writing and the fact that iracing after a decade or even more havent implemented something else it might actually still be the solution thats least exploitable

12. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Thing is it willl never be perfect or fair as it is limited by binary code trying to do what a human brain is better at in real life incidents
    If you saw last night´s Nascar Daytona race, who was at fault for the big ones and the last lap incident?
    According to RRE points, Newman would have got 8 points for collisions with 2 cars and another 2 or 4 points for hitting the barrier and going off track. That´s 12 points for one incident where all he did was defend his line on the last corner, a normal racing move. One could argue that in real life he was the only one who ended up in hospital so the system maybe does reflect real life´s unfairness!

The guy that hit him when he came down off the wall would also have got 4 points for an unavoidable crash - the same as Blaney and Hamlin who started the whole thing and finished 1-2.

Would any human apportion 3 times the blame to Newman - I doubt it.

When we start adding points generated by bugs in game code, it is not that hard to get an automatice DSQ just for being unlucky. The system is the same for everyone, sure but if you win from the front or just tour around slowly then it is much harder to amass points than being in the midfield or in a close battle. Which of the 3 is most fun?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  13. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

Nico, not really arguing with you - you stated fact.. I think my disagreement is the decision to do nothing (which isn't with you).

Iracing does have judges and a way to submit complaints. It's silly and often result in no response - but it does have more than 'he hit you, it's your fault too' attitude.

I just believe the things that would be exploitable as far as incidents are concerned would rarely be deployed. Even if you brake check and there is contact - you'd still get penalized under the double for the person behind you concept. How often is the person in front at fault if the contact is in the front to rear bumper? I do not think it's as complicated as being suggested. Iracing does what it does and in my opinion has created some racing styles that would NEVER work in the real world due to this type of rating system (namely people closing the door incredibly late and leaving their rear end to be tapped).

I for the first time in 100+ races got disqualified this last weekend. In one corner I was hit 4-5 times and sent off track.. it wasn't even turn one. My rating went from 16 to 40ish.. Then at the back of the pack there is simply contact all the time.

I am seeing in big fields of 20 plus more people that often more people are being DQ'ed than actually finishing! I don't think this speaks poorly of raceroom - but I suspect if you are mid pack you might assume 20 points or more in a race where you literally did not make a error.. I will not play the GT3 series on weekends anymore with a full field, despite some of the very best drivers up front.

I hope sector 3 can give it a little more thought over time and deploy some basic changes to the contact incidents. It's a great product and I'd like to see it do something more initiative than deploy iracing's "everyone's at fault" system minus judges.

14. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday I was racing on aqila us server, I did not set a quail lap and was I think 19 on the grid. The race session loaded and when the race aways about to start I got kicked due to high ping. The result was I gained about 4 ranking points and lost about 10 reputation.

Why would I loose reputation in this case? Disconnection was independent of my actions.

15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I understand, this is not ideal. The problem we have is if we don't penalise disconnections in the same way that any dnf would be there is nothing to stop people pulling out the internet cable if they happen to be having a bad race...

Always best to check your ping to server before joining.

16. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I guess it can be sorted as unplugging the cable effectively ends the connection by the client no packets are send, while kick due to high ping is server side.
    It's not ideal people that have lost connections will say it's not ok, but at least some cases would be handled.

I always check the ping. It wasn't ideal but I liked the aqila and eu sever is not available. It was below 150 so racing was doable and most of the drivers were from Europe anyway.
    If not already done, could it be that drivers are not allowed to join servers when their ping is to high?

17. Mauricio

Mauricio Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Question, with the division by zones in the ranked, the minimum ping has decreased, I try to run with my favorite division the DTM92 and it takes me out of the section by ping, I have no alternative of ranked for dtm92 at the exception of the Europe where it expels me I ignored ping, before the division by zones I NEVER had this problem and could run on the DTM92 ranked servers without any problem ... any suggestions?

18. Larry Foster

Larry Foster Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    @Mauricio It might be that the Devs are trying to eliminate the possibility of PING related incidents that cant be controlled by the players. Do you remember what the PING was when you were kicked? I ask because I am in the US and my PING is at 155ms for the European servers. I know that PING is internet connection specific but I'm curious as to what is considered to high to get kicked for.

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The ping limit is 250ms. Ping isn't stable so there are always spikes. A spike is enough to put you over the limit. At the moment in the testing phase there are only a limited number of servers in use, this will limit car choices at times.

20. Mauricio

Mauricio Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    For USA Server .. 130-160 ping
    For Europa Serve : 240-260 ping

Thk. for any information