FFB Guide - December 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Dec 12, 2019.

1. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, I am new to this game and really enjoy it. I am however struggling with finding the right FFB settings for my G29 wheel. The default ones (in the game) differ quite a lot from the suggested settings on page 1 of this thread (quoted above here). I am not sure if the ones in this thread are actually supported by the developers (as they differ from the default ones in the game for the G29). Your help is much appreciated! I use the FFB meter in game and it provides useful info. Settings that are difficult to grasp are 'minimum force', 'understeer', 'steering rack' (amongst others).

2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 0 / -0
    Minimum force bumps those little forces and adds resistance with car stationary or low speed. Underster makes your wheel lighter as car understeers. Rack describes what percentage of ffb comes from rack rather than tyres- the best is simply to try it at different values, 0,50,100%, you will grasp it in no time

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply! Any G29 users that care to share their FFB settings?

4. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 0 / -0
    These are mine. Ill add tho that after an update last december i had to try around a lot and ended with these but still didnt really feel what i wanted to feel. Then i took a few weeks off from driving and after that break just drove with these settings and started enjoying them more and more to the point where theres nothing id want to feel different anymore. Your experience with these settings might be completely different tho

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mos

Mos New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    [QUOTE = "Stephane lokcy, publicación: 201776, miembro: 14534"] Hola, busque esta solución: [/ QUOTE]
    I decided to buy the CSW Fanatec

6. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Wow, I just read through this whole thread and my head is spinning. I had not driven in R3E since about last October due to a move and other RL things. I finally fired up the game and found my cars to be uncontrollable. I knew there was a FFB change so I started from scratch with my G27 set up and game set-up. Once I got the wheel working again (sort of), I tried a couple of my old GT3 set-ups and found I still could not drive them so I went back to those default settings too. Then I tried the new Porsche on Spa. I had never driven the track before so it was a tough learning experience with new track, new FFB and new car. I still have a lot of work to do to get things feeling right again but I am back to give it a try. Thanks to those who posted their G27 settings. I will compare them to mine tomorrow and see where I can improve.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  7. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much. Most settings are same to mine, but your minimum force and steering rack are quite high (Compared to other examples I have seen). Can you explain why you like this? You do not use any dampening, why?

8. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I would be very much interested in your experience with calibrating the settings. I suppose the G27 and G29 are rather similar.

9. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    You can measure the minimum force of your own wheel using a small application called wheelcheck. It tries to determine the minimum ammount of input needed, to make your wheel move at all. I suppose it might be somewhere between 10-15% for a G27/29. That value should give a decent starting point for your min force setting in-game. If you feel a "notch" around center that value is too high, if the wheel feels too soft around center, increase it one or two clicks.
    Steering rack and damper are a bit more up to personal taste. Too much rack (>50) makes the steering go lighter, if turning more, and emphasises the feeling of having understeer more iirr. FFB damper can help slowing the wheel down if you tend to overcorrect when countersteering for example. It simulates the given friction and inertia of a steering system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 0 / -0
    Youre asking questions i cannot answer. I mainly try around until i get something i like without knowing a whole lot about most settings :D.
    But @BeefMcQueen s explanation of what the settings do sounds pretty good so maybe thatll help

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @GJDriessen I had just revised my settings on Saturday, but forgot to update my original post. So, maybe you can look again if you like. Mainly I was just updating the US and Slip effects for a better feel there. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
  12. RampageRacing

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I do not know if this will be helpful to you but this streamer is using a G29 and he shows how he has set his up:

His video was made after the FFB changes in R3E.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi Peter, thank you for replying. Where can I find the revised findings. What is SAT?

14. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot. Great community here!

• Like Like x 1
  15. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, indeed a good video and helpful, but I doubt a number of his settings, but nevertheless a good starting point like Peter’s settings and those of Nico.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RampageRacing

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    After much experimenting and tweaking, I have found a place where I like how the G27 wheel feels. I will share my settings in case anyone needs something to try or a place to start.

Inverted Force Feedback ON
    Force Feedback Intensity 100%
    Smoothing 10%
    ------------------------------------
    SFI 120%
    FFM 15%
    Understeer 40%
    Vertical Load 75%
    Lateral Force 75%
    Steering Rack 30%
    ---------Canned Effects---------
    Slip Effect 10%
    Engine Vibration 0%
    Kerb Vibration 35%
    Shift Effect 35%
    Collision Effect 200%

I reverted back to a track that I know well and a car that I have a few good laps in to remove then from the equation and then started tuning the FFB to get a feel that I liked and that resulted in lap times close to what I had done before. This is what I came up with. I am within 2.5 seconds of my previous best lap time and that is after being away from the game (and all sims) for 6 months and using a default chassis set-up because all my old tunes are no longer drivable. I may still make some minor tweaks but I am now able to enjoy driving again.

EDIT: Added in the Lateral Force settings and lowered Minimum Force from 25% to 20% to reduce low speed chatter in the wheel.
    2nd EDIT: Due to a couple instances of the G27 going into an uncontrollable "death rattle", I have lowered Minimum force further to 15% in an effort to eliminate it while still getting the road feel.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  17. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @RampageRacing much appreciated. Are the G27 and 29 very similar in terms of hardware/software? In that case these settings could also be useful.

I have another question for the experts here in this forum. How should one go about setting Force Feedback Intensity versus Steering Force Intensity? I see some setups where FFI is typically higher than SFI, but I also see settings the other way arround (e.g. default G29 setup and the one mentioned above by RampageRacing).

Furthermore, I am puzzeld by the slip effect setting. At the start of this topic the Devs suggest to turn it off, but in many examples I see it turned on, what is your experience with this setting? Many thanks to everyone!

18. GJDriessen

GJDriessen New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Do you use any dampening and what is your lateral load setting? How did you arrive at the setting of 25% for FFM, it seems rather high to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RampageRacing

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I do not know how similar the G29 is to the G27. I did try someone's settings for a G29 and they were not strong enough on my G27 but that could be personal preference. Every setup that I have seen for a Logitech wheel has had the Force Feedback Intensity set at 100% including the default set-up that Sector3 provided. I have Force Feedback Damper at 0%. I kept playing with Steering Force until it felt good to me on a couple cars. The Force Feedback Minimum is set a 25% because that is how high I had to set it to start getting road feedback on the G27 that is similar to what I felt when I had my actual car out on MId-Ohio Sports Car Course. I may actually have it slightly too high because I am starting to get some low speed chatter in the G27 wheel at 25%. I may back it down slightly to try to eliminate that but still get sufficient road feel. I am sorry that I forgot to include Lateral Force. I have corrected the original post to show it as 75%. The Slip Effect is one of those canned setting that are for immersion. You can set it wherever you like. I like that along with the Kerb effect and the shift effect where I have them set because, to me, it makes the car feel more alive (real). If I was going simply for fast lapping, I might turn all of those off.

EDIT: AND as I typed this they issued a patch. Guess what the first thing was in the Patch Notes? They reworked the G27 FFB again. Now, I have to go in and see if any of my settings work for me now. SIGH! Hopefully the wheel will work even better.

2nd EDIT: After a bunch of laps at Mid-Ohio and a few laps of SPA, I can report that my settings are still working for me. Surprisingly the new default for the G27 was very close to what I was using for my own. I did back the Minimum Force down a bit to 15% (new default is 10%). The rest of my settings, I kept the same.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  20. Mariano Grossmann

Mariano Grossmann New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hat jemand was für T500 RS und T3PA – Pro? Danke :)

Does anyone have anything for T500 RS and T3PA - Pro? thank you :)