FFB Update Discussion Thread (June 2021)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Thomas Jansen, Jun 23, 2021.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Good to hear. Now you have the auto rotation working remember to reset any cars steering angle/rotation/ratio that you may have changed so you get the cars as designed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tomyrgon

Tomyrgon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any news on this? My G29 isn't working properly, the FFB is incredibly weak. I have to turn the multiplier way up to get any resistance from the wheel but still all of the effects are very muted down. Tried uninstalling/installing G Hub and also tried the older profiler but nothing works. Also deleted the profiles but didn't help. My ffb settings are the recommended ones for a wheel of this caliber. Idk what to try anymore. :/

3. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It seems that the new FFB works great on DD wheels and other top end wheels (), but does nothing with regular racing wheels (T150, G29)
    Just a sugestion:
    Give the users the option to choose which FFB they like.
    Previous FFB for regular racing wheels and new FFB for DD and other top end wheels.
    You can can call them "FFB standart" and "FFB Pro", but please give us, the users, a way to choose.
    Previous FFB was perfect on my T150, and now nothing happens, even after new installation.
    (btw, removing collision effect is a bad idea, please put it back)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Works great on my t300. Which isn't high end.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Good for you.

If you had the choice, you could choose "FFB Pro" and be happy. Right now I have no choice. Raceroom FFB does nothing and I am not happy.

6. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Checking in with a basic Fanatec CSR. The new FFB works just fine. I even compared Raceroom against AC and ACC, and Raceroom was right there with FFB. To me, AC has a small edge over R3E in terms of details but, Sector 3's new FFB doesn't disappoint. It feels as if the tracks are now the reason Raceroom lagged behind the original (and heavily modded) AC. So for now have more issues with R3E's tracks more than anything. If that "choice" for what FFB model were to happen, I'm staying with the new stuff. Raceroom needs better tracks.

7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well since it works on several lower end wheels one would suggest that the problem is on your end rather than the ffb the game produces.

8. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So you can feel the collision effect that was removed?

I have over 200 000 km on RaceRoom (https://game.raceroom.com/users/ManuelAlves/), hundreds of online races on several online communities (like SRS), and the FFB was perfect. After FFB was completely changed I feel nothing, and you say the problem is with me?

I'm not alone, and FFB problems with the new FFB are public knowledge:

https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...eedback-requested-from-all-users.17205/page-2
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...k-requested-from-all-users.17201/#post-225796

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Educate yourself by trying the FFB on a Logitech G series wheel and then tell us that the problem is on our end. Also tell us what we need to do to fix our failings. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    A G series wheel was used in development of the new ffb. There are all manner of software configurations on an end users PC which can and have been shown to cause problems. It's not the games fault (and it's not the users fault either). But if it works fine for some G series users then it works, and whatever stops it working for you is probably something on your system.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  11. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I have personally used a Logitech G29, Fanatec V2.5 and DD1 during development, other developers and betatesters have tested on many different wheels from all ranges of the market. When there are no other problems such as driver or windows issues, the new FFB works exactly as intended on the entry-level wheels such as a G29 too. Ofcourse it is very different from before and some may not like the physics-based approach we have gone for, but the wheel can absolutely output what we want from it.

There do seem to be some communication issues between the game and the wheel driver in some cases, which can be caused by all sorts of things such as drivers, windows updates etc. One thing I'd like it make clear is that the 'New FFB' is purely what is happening in terms of calculations internally in the game. Any changes in communication with the wheel is completely separate from the implementation of the new FFB and even if it were possible to give the option to use the old FFB, it would not fix anything in this regard.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  12. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Can you please, please give us the option to use the previous FFB? It worked and was perfect for me. I'm not asking to remove the new FFB, just the option to use the previous FFB.

13. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    The new FFB is good on low end wheels T150. I think there may be some issues with updating controller profiles during update.
    I had a problem where the wheel would not output ffb like it should Only constant froce in the corner and some bumps mostly off track. Every car seemed extremly undesteery and I was 4s a lap slower than I should be. I decided to reinstall in full. I moved Simbin folder from Documents/My Games and reinstalled through steam.

I have precise FFB now.
    I've lowered linearity to 65%, but might get it up a bit. Bump amplification at 20%, every thing else is not touched.
    Overall strenght in the driver at 80%(overheating at 100%), everything else at 100%
    FFB is very comunicative, much more than before the update.

Watch your FFB meter when playing with multiplier. When you go 4x it will clip most of the forces so you endup with broken FFB. New FFB is not weaker than the old one and shouldn't feel like it.

The feeling of the curbs is changed, you can test it. When you go slow over the curbs you feel them stronger, the more speed you have the less you can feel the curbs. That's actually realistic, at high speeds suspension doesn't have time to react to curbs. So you just fly over them and more hear them than feel them through the wheel.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Do you have a T150 ?

15. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Yes.

16. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So do I.
    I tried removing the simbin/raceroom folder and rebuilding the control set, and nothing changed

17. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    But the default profile is in the gamefiles in steamapps folder. If that's broken the game will rebuild a broken profile in documents folder. You can try to reinstall or remove controlsets from gamefiles and check integrity through steam.

I don't know if reinstall is necessary but I went for it. I wanted to move the game to a different drive anyway.

18. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I like what you have done with the FFB as far as conveying what the front tires are doing and communicating that to the wheel. I actually find it easier to lap than I did previously. That makes R3E a better sim. Doing away with impacts whether that be with bumps, curbs, guardrails, cars, etc makes R3E less of a driving sim. IMO.

Perhaps the new FFB has just exposed a shortcoming of the game that was covered up by the canned effects in the old system. That being that almost none of the tracks are actually true adaptations of the real world tracks and therefore there is nothing for the FFB to feed to the wheel in reference to track irregularities and true curb feel.

Even with all that, I cannot understand the choice to remove collision completely from the game. If you hit something there should be consequences. You are most certainly going to feel most collisions through the wheel whether that be because one of the front wheels impacts something or that the cars direction of travel is altered which would result in the front tires fighting the change in direction which you would feel through the steering wheel. R3E no longer simulates any of that as far as I can tell. That is disappointing to me.

I spent a few hours adjusting the FFB just after release. I got it as "good" as I could on my G27. I have not touched the game in the last week because I am just not satisfied with the overall experience. Is it better than it was before? Yes, in some ways it is much better. Is it a better simulation of real world driving on a track? No, not based on my experience of having done so.

I find it ironic that changes meant to make the FFB feel more "real" based on actual physics have made R3E feel more like a game to me and less like a simulation. It looks like I need to temper my expectations and then give it a try again sometime in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Manuel Alves

Manuel Alves New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I uninstalled and did a new Raceroom install. It didn't fix anything.

20. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Ok, after having spent several hours fiddling with the new ffb, I am quite happy with it. Yes I do miss some of the canned effects, but I realize now that it was mostly because it was fun and not necessarily for realism. And in fact something I didn't fully understand until the new system was in place, was that I tended avoid the curbs and rumble strips because I wasn't completely sure of which ones would throw the car around and which ones wouldn't. And I can't help but think it was because of the canned rumble strip, in part at least. So now I have a new issue, :confused: in that I'm constantly getting busted for track limits at the corners.o_O:oops::screamcat::smile:
    Anyway, I personally do not want to go back to the old ffb. I have a much better/clearer understanding of the tracks. And my lap times have come down as a result.
    You guys have out done yourselves again! Well Done!!!
    Once again, Thanks for all your hard work.:sunglasses:
    Gregoryleo

• Like Like x 5